News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Anyone still buy DVDs?

Farted by D.VaClock, April 27, 2021, 05:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.VaClock

hello,

I still buy DVDs because I am old
D.Va Clock? More like D.VA COCK!!!

pop-tart

Not too often, since most of the things I watch are available to stream.

Boxed sets and stuff mostly. Or when you find something you haven't watched in ten years in the five buck bin and are like OH FUCK I FORGOT FEEDERS WAS A THINGG

D.VaClock

Sadly, most of the things I want to watch aren't available to stream in the UK, because of licence laws and stuff, so I get DVDs
D.Va Clock? More like D.VA COCK!!!

VCRClock

Quote from: D.VaClock on April 27, 2021, 07:18:11 PM
licence laws

I could talk about this forever, but I originally caved and bought a subscription to spotify with holiday money when I was too poor to still be The Last Person On Earth Buying CDs. i do love being able to listen to all kinds of music I'd never even thought of buying, ad free, at the push of a button. however, the FUCKING licensing issues

most of the time if i want to listen to something, spotify's like fine, cool, you do that. sometimes spotify doesn't have what i want, and i'm like, ok, i guess what i asked for is pretty weird, i understand. but sometimes i go to spotify to listen to something i've played on spotify, and the song just no longer exists. or there's a big artist that should be on spotify, but is unexpectedly absent, or spotify only has the one album they recorded on their deathbed. notable examples: de la soul (it's a record label dispute), biz markie (if the copyright freemasons are feeling saucy, all you get is the greatest hits album and/or shitty re-recorded versions of the songs you're actually looking for), tavares, the s.o.s. band (top played songs all licensed via '80s hits compilations), and, once upon a time, prince rogers nelson and the beatles. if spotify only has a butchered version of an album with certain unlicensable tracks missing, tough shit loser. want to stream an old japanese artist on us spotify? try your luck chump. oh or try typing the name in japanese

so anyway i bought an mp3 player again, because surprise, my do-it-all smartphone doesn't have a slot for a microSD card on which to store media. i have been enjoying the freedom to listen to any sound i WANT TO GOD DAMN, including some of the aforementioned artists, oddball music that never made it to streaming, dj mixes, whatever. no wifi, no cellular data. it even plugs into the thing in my pre-bluetooth car so i can JAM while i DRIVE

i've bought one or two videodiscs, but tbh my total video consumption across all platforms is pretty low ironically

regional licensing is hella dumb how hard is it to give people money for ad impressions and we all hop the fence anyway
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

PhantomCatClock

PannacottaClock

no but it's a GOOD idea the internet will eventually go down
pannacottaclock

RobClock

i still buy VHS tapes, just picked up copies of Silence of the Lambs and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2 The Secret of the Ooze

Slurpee

I think dvds are still the most mass market physical medium for movies

you get a blu-ray release if you really want to like drink in the picture, but blu-rays arrived right around the same time streaming took over and a dvd is, what, a third of the price?

PhantomCatClock

I'm still constantly blown away by how nice blu-rays look, but rarely buy anything and still choose dvds first, yes

in fact, the only blu-rays I own are because there were no dvds and I have like.. four

at least one of which were a blu-ray/dvd combo set

VCRClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on May 03, 2021, 06:03:54 PM
in fact, the only blu-rays I own are because there were no dvds

I bought my blu-rays for this reason, and it was a few months before I was like "alright guess I need to purchase the Sony's cheapest blu-ray player"

I don't like that it's a proprietary format I can't rip and store digitally, but then when you can't measure how many pixels/scanlines there are, it's like the resolution is practically infinite huh
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

PhantomCatClock

if you want to go through the enormous pain in the ass of making them work on your computer (there is more to it than just plugging a blu-ray player in and it is not actually worth it) you can use acidrip or MAYBE vlc to just save them in 480p anyway