News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Does God exist?

Farted by AbsintheClock, September 20, 2011, 12:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmberArachnidClock

Quote from: AlbinoClock;1879538But it's so generic, and accompanied by such unnecessary bigotry.

well you know thats just like your opinion man

buttplug

Quote from: SatelliteClock;1879551well you know thats just like your opinion man

seriously though does Christianity have philosophical or social knowledge that is unique? Seems like you could get the same thing being a Muslim or a Hindu.

AMPEEEM

Quote from: Buttplug;1879584seriously though does Christianity have philosophical or social knowledge that is unique? Seems like you could get the same thing being a Muslim or a Hindu.

especially muslim.

Topcatyo

The concepts are much more European, Hindu philosophy thinks about things in a very different way since they believe in reincarnation.  Also divinity and prayer is much more ubiquitous and deity-focused (and they have thousands of gods, even though they're all technically the same guy but not at the same time(?))

AmberArachnidClock

Quote from: Buttplug;1879584seriously though does Christianity have philosophical or social knowledge that is unique? Seems like you could get the same thing being a Muslim or a Hindu.
Islam might be similar is some ways but Hindu? You gotta be kidding me.

buttplug

Quote from: Topcatyo;1879600The concepts are much more European, Hindu philosophy thinks about things in a very different way since they believe in reincarnation.  Also divinity and prayer is much more ubiquitous and deity-focused (and they have thousands of gods, even though they're all technically the same guy but not at the same time(?))

I personally wasn't talking about dogma, but basic truths like the golden rule. I'm asking how Abraham traditions are better at instilling these in humans than other religions or belief systems. If Satt thinks Christianity's dogma is inherently 'better' than Hinduism I would ask why, but if he simply finds it more interesting then that is a subjective opinion and it requires no explanation.

Also to split hairs I would argue the Abrahamic religions are not European but Near Eastern, considering they all come from the Eastern Mediterranean and Arabian peninsula.

Also to answer your question Hinduism is actually not even really a thing. It only came into being after Britain colonized India, and grouped similar local religious and social traditions under one group. In reality there are many sects, though they aren't really sects in that they do not conflict with each other. I think Indians see it as more like different maps that lead to the same place. Or maybe I am totally wrong, I only know basic history about it through the lens of British colonialism and cursory religious study.

Topcatyo

Quote from: Buttplug;1879613Also to answer your question Hinduism is actually not even really a thing. It only came into being after Britain colonized India, and grouped similar local religious and social traditions under one group.
I can tell you that this is incorrect.  I'd go into it further but I'm actually putting together a powerpoint presentation for my Indian Arts class (where I've been learning about the Hindu religion and all that fun shit) right now

AlbinoClock

Quote from: SatelliteClock;1879551well you know thats just like your opinion man

The unnecessary bigotry is in no way my opinion.

AmberArachnidClock

Quote from: AlbinoClock;1879993The unnecessary bigotry is in no way my opinion.

It is a little bit. In some parts of Christianity there's a ton of bigotry, but in other parts there's a lot of acceptance. The word Catholic means "universal" after all.

In my opinion, the bigotry has little to do with the faith, and more about people being assholes.

GingeraleClock

I generally put the ownness onto the religious. If I am shown indisputable evidence of the existence of a high power and proof that such an outlined scriptures is to be followed: I will follow that religion. Until that time, I am and will remain an Atheist.

That is direct and indisputable evidence, that would turn a skeptic into a believer. Please, spare me any "the Earth is..." comments.

Quote from: SatelliteClock;1879999In my opinion, the bigotry has little to do with the faith, and more about people being assholes.

There is a lot of sexism and ethnocentricity in each Abrahamic religion. Judaism began as a Pagan religion but shifted into a monotheistic religion, with heavy influences from Greek philosophy and culture. Patriarchy became predominant, as did shunning outsiders.

Christianity, which was influenced by the teachings of Hillel the Elder (studied by Christ/Paul (love and peace)), showed less sexism and ethnocentricity but these things can still be found quite rampantly. Women are not to have: stylish hairstyles (specifically, braided) or wear costly clothing or jewellery and be subservient to men.

Truly, for those whom have studied Judiasm, Christianity and Islamic scripture: it would be very hard to live ones life following pure tradition. Even more so, in a first world Country. With an obvious exception to the nations of Islam.

AnimeClock