News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slurpee

the news: "when we get back we'll have more on the deadly-"
me: *looking up*
the news: "- ghost-"
me: *sitting upright*
the news: "- ship..."
me: *standing*
the news: "warehouse fire"
me: "oh, right."
me: *sitting*

Slurpee

social media blowing up with political shit and I just want somebody to talk about fraggles with

that's right I'm still on Fraggle Rock you fucking faggots

Slurpee

today in calculus I learned that if you add a number or variable to a (where a is any constant) times the cosine of anything, part of the equation can look like the word tacos
example:
ln(x)+acos(x)

(the tacos part is in the middle)

Slurpee

I also learned the derivatives and integrals of inverse trigonometric functions and hyperbolic functions but that part's not as funny

PhantomCatClock

Fraggle Rock had some of the best songs though FOR REAL

I recently (as in, within the last couple years) binge rewatched the whole series. Was it on Netflix? It sure isn't, now

PhantomCatClock

Speaking of rockin' music, I see that the Dickin' Around collab still exists, but uh

did Let It B get removed?

Slurpee

unpublished, probably

looks like stairway to heaven, frontier psychiatrist, blood on the motorway, and never be your woman are gone as well. clock crew rhapsody apparently undetected so far but it's probably just a matter of time

if they actually want to go to the letter of the law for copyrighted audio they're going to have to systematically unpublish I would guess about 95% of not only our shit but frankly most of the website, because, no, "audio is only 50% of the content therefore it's not stolen" is not a real thing that exists in the legal system it's something an idiot made up before the internet got too big to be ignored by its corporate overlords. somehow doubt keegan's truck licensed vanity fair's "hitchin a ride", but like my flashes that are just audio from invader zim and day of the animals? very, very much in violation of copyright. even things like using Mario music in a Mario flash or matrix music in a matrix flash or even ennio morricone's navajo joe score opening pass the flash 2 don't actually legally constitute parody or review or education or any of the things that would protect it from a dmca claim in a court of law because they're not imitative or licensed and it'd be a tough sell to say they're transformative when they're the original works being used for the same purpose intended by their original creator and copyright is both automatic and currently lasts about two full human lifespans. SO, NOT REALLY SURE WHAT NEWGROUNDS' END GAME IS HERE OTHER THAN DELETING MOST OF THEIR OWN WEBSITE BUT WELP

PhantomCatClock

Yeah, I meant unpublished

I was kind of thinking about it the other day, like Tom's been really trying to get people to come back to NG from YouTube (and old time NG animators actually made fun of him for running a dead website at a con panel that I can't recall, and the one episode of SleepyCabin that has GUEST STAR TIM FILP) then he does this

"But PhantomAsshole," thought I, "YouTube does this, too!"

and then I remembered YouTube does it when the copyright holder actually files a DMCA claim, not just because he got bored one day.

I can guarantee you that unless these companies made a script that goes through and downloads every flash and checks them for mp3s, nearly all of the offending unpublished material would just sit there unnoticed, getting less than 100 new views in the next ten years on slow ass newgrounds

at least all the numa numa parodies are gone tho

I wonder if Tom convinced the rest of the NG staff it was a good idea by pointing out a semi-real responsibility to do so, or if he actually got them to believe doing this would help the Audio Portal

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

It's funny, I had just rekindled my interest in dicking around in flash, and suddenly I hear about Tom pulling this mass takedown bullshit for no reason. Deffo killed my interest. I don't think clock flash can exist without massive amounts of copyrighted audio.

also just listened to the new gorillaz song. god that was boring. I hear all these people gushing for or against it because of the political content (shit aint new they've done that on DD and PB) but I just can't get over how musically dull it is. on a related note, does anyone else feel their music stopped sounding like it could potentially come from the virtual band they're supposed to be? plastic beach onwards just sounds like albarn messing around in the studio and producing other artists. it just seems the drawn and musical aspects of the project used to be more in sync, and now they seem like wholly separate things.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

also I just watched a hummingbird eat a cobweb. that was weird.

RobClock

i really hope i can go on twitter sometime in the next four years without my feed being filled with people who make drawings i like bitching about politics i couldnt care any less about

Slurpee

I think the decision was made in good faith with the intention of making newgrounds a hub for original content, but generally speaking a pretty major website sustainability thing is not to alienate your core users, so with big changes you start with a lengthy application isolated to the incoming content. that way either the new status quo proves sustainable and you can go from there, or, if it doesn't, at least you haven't scorched the earth

when we trimmed all the forum posts from before 2008, we didn't do that until like 2011, when very few people would have been preoccupied with posts from 2007 or earlier
otoh when we moved to restricting the site to ages 13+, (which doesn't seem that bad now, but in 2005 when it happened, a LOT of us were still under 13) we started by just banning everybody under age 13, and land sakes alive the motherfucking drama

Slurpee

Quote from: RobClock on January 25, 2017, 01:53:33 PM
i really hope i can go on twitter sometime in the next four years without my feed being filled with people who make drawings i like bitching about politics i couldnt care any less about
a few years ago I had a couple tumblrs bookmarked like "happy gay dudes cuddling dot tumblr dot com" like this shit makes me happy and every once in a while one of them would just also go "[image of a violently mangled body] REMEMBER THAT PHYSICAL VIOLENCE IS A REAL THREAT TO LGBT PEOPLE ALL AROUND THE WORLD AND" like holy shit dude I fucking know that, that's not what I come here for

Slurpee

Quote from: HalibutmanClock on January 25, 2017, 09:50:52 AM
also just listened to the new gorillaz song. god that was boring. I hear all these people gushing for or against it because of the political content (shit aint new they've done that on DD and PB) but I just can't get over how musically dull it is. on a related note, does anyone else feel their music stopped sounding like it could potentially come from the virtual band they're supposed to be? plastic beach onwards just sounds like albarn messing around in the studio and producing other artists. it just seems the drawn and musical aspects of the project used to be more in sync, and now they seem like wholly separate things.
I don't hate it but it doesn't say single to me. it reminds me of Cloud of Unknowing, or one of the closing tracks from after self-titled, because it doesn't have a great melody to carry it. when they got weird in the b stuff before plastic beach, like The Sounder and The Swagga, there'd at least be a good melody to carry it. (I haven't listened to The Fall since it came out)

from the beginning I think damon wanted gorillaz to be a large amorphous collection of artists collaborating and also but secretly it's mostly him and no Del and Miho Hatori and Dan Nakamura will never be invited back so stop asking, which there's hints of in the early documentary stuff, but, no, yeah, I agree that there's kind of a disconnect now with the cartoon people. (although doyathang and doncamatic felt closer in that regard imho)

GreyClock

Far be it from me to knight white, but Tom Fulp doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would do this because he got bored one afternoon. When I asked him about some of my movies (before I knew this was some big event) he told me it was a dark time and that he was forced to do it, i.e. probably under threat of lawsuit. The choice between risking your livelihood & thus the ability to provide for loved ones versus deleting some dumb cartoons doesn't seem like much of a choice at all. Also I highly doubt record labels are scanning SWFs for MP3s. I had this one movie that had like a five second loop of a riff from a Butthole Surfers song released on an independent label and it got unpublished, probably because I filled in the audio credits for that particular submission. If "they" are scanning anything it's that field, be it automatically or manually.

P.S. I first wanted to write the "for loved ones" as "his wife, his son, his daughter, his dog, his cat..." or whatever, but I couldn't remember the reference. What's that from? Like some dude is complaining about how he's responsible for his wife, his kid, his dog, his cat &c. Like he rattles off that same list all the time. "I gotta wife, a kid, a dog, a cat!" Something like that.

[u2]t92UkJkfb6g[/u2]

GreyClock

Great this is going to drive me fucking insane, because obviously Google is only interested in providing me with nursery rhymes and pet grooming tips.

Slurpee

i just remembered either battery or dmk filling out the audio credit with "NO AMAZON COMMISSION 4U, FULP!" lmao

GreyClock

You've seen movies and shows and read books what's that reference from? It's like an excuse: "I can't do it, I got a wife, a kid, a cat and a dog!"

GreyClock

And then other people are like "That guy won't shut the fuck up about his wife, his kid, his cat and his dog!"

GreyClock

You want me to go to bed and lie in the dark going over movies and shows and books and scenes and scenarios till dawn?