News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Silent Hill series

Farted by PropagandaClock, September 13, 2009, 05:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slash

I got Silent Hill quite some time ag because I was hearing all these good thing about it and shit.
So I was happy and excited to play it but it turned out to be a rather regular game, rather it was kind of boring really.

The gameplay was bad and the graphics weren't particularly good either, but a lot of people say that the thing what made the game good was the storyline and frankly I couldn't find this fantastic storyline, but even then if all a game has to go for is a storyline, then you should try a book or a movie.

F U Clock

Quote from: Mr. Super Awesome Man;1673836I got Silent Hill quite some time ag because I was hearing all these good thing about it and shit.
So I was happy and excited to play it but it turned out to be a rather regular game, rather it was kind of boring really.

The gameplay was bad and the graphics weren't particularly good either, but a lot of people say that the thing what made the game good was the storyline and frankly I couldn't find this fantastic storyline, but even then if all a game has to go for is a storyline, then you should try a book or a movie.

I dunno' about that... Videogames tell stories in different ways than other mediums. Shadow of the Colossus wouldn't work as a book or movie, but as a game it's brilliant.

Also, for what it was I think the original Silent Hill had some pretty good graphics. Plus the music was great, and if you go back to what it was up against with Resident Evil 2, the gameplay was much improved in my opinion (what with an instant turn-around button, controllable camera and strafe option).

EnglishClock

I started on that sh2 like I mentioned earlier, very neat game so far. Haven't gotten far at all yet, but the mixture of the wonderful atmosphere, interesting puzzles and combat in between is quite nice. Right now I'm stuck in that room with the clock in the woodside apartment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ProqagandaClock

Quote from: Mr. Super Awesome Man;1673836I got Silent Hill quite some time ag because I was hearing all these good thing about it and shit.

My good sir there is one fatal flaw in your arguments.

He will rape you.
No book will ever rape you but he will.

And you'll weep, you will weep and you will love it. You will taste your tears and they will taste bitter sweet.

buttplug

Quote from: HarmonyClock;1674338No book will ever rape you but he will.

And you'll weep, you will weep and you will love it. You will taste your tears and they will taste bitter sweet.

Quote from: ButtplugClock;1671987Things like this dilute his character

PropagandaClock

Oh man, Oh boy !

I just finished Silent Hill 3.

9-9.5/10 (for a survival horror game)
One of the higher scores I've ever given a game.
Mind you this is not an objective score but how I percieve the game and overall feeling, from a strict critique point of view it would be slightly less but still very high.

One of the main things is how godamn amazed I am that it is over 6 years old and still better than just about most games that come out nowdays, the graphics, the gameplay, the puzzles and most of godamn all: Immersion.
Dead Space is one of the best looking games I've ever played but they really fail at putting out Goo and alien envoirments at good places, Silent Hill 3 manages so much more with so extremely much less.
Valtiel was also epic.

The combat was kind of like the Fourth game but just much better, more tactic, more running around, switching between weapons was actually neccery and with the right idea just about any enemy (exluding pendelums) were killable without getting damaged.
But the monsters evolved and got better/stronger attacks which also added to the experience aswell as rooms mixing multiple enemies for really mindrape scenarios.

Puzzles were borderline insane (I played on Hard) but most enjoyable.
Environments were awesome, Story was good; Not expecting much.
And indeed Heather was abit teenage sassy at times but even though I am usually the first to cry foul I couldn't find myself caring about it... Mostly just questioning the one who made her script.
But for every wrong there was so much right (the haunted mansion etc.) so overall even the "bad" voiceacting felt great.

Got 7.3 rating, max on melee kills and items... strangely enough I'm punished for only having killed 17 monsters with firearms (you gain more score from the more you kill). Got 0 from saves (187 saves :D)
What amazes me is that I only had 188 kills, now I equipted Perfume and killed just about every enemy in the entire game exluding some pendelums because they're godamn pain in the arses. In SH4 I had over 450 kills but it felt much much less compared to this game, guess the combat was just much better in this.

Lastly I feel sad when the further back in time I go the better games turn out to be.
Casual gamers are ruining the market, polarizing it forcing game developers to make more accessible games which kills any hint of originality/soul and instead gives cashcows like Resident Evil or every Wii game ever.

Now, onwards to Silent Hill 2.
[flash]http://files.myfrogbag.com/ses6on/Space.swf Width=450 height=175[/flash]

F U Clock

If you thought Valtiel was badass, you'll enjoy you some Pyramid Head (and possibly be fucking terrified of him).

Marlin Clock

I always thought 3 punished you in some way for the more monsters you killed? Like you would have less time to activate the final boss sequence.

I better see a 10.5/10 at least for silent hill 2 with that kinda score.

PropagandaClock

Quote from: Marlin Brando;1680930I always thought 3 punished you in some way for the more monsters you killed? Like you would have less time to activate the final boss sequence.
Hmmm you mean when forced to take the red pill ? I don't know, I had alot of time to run around and inspect things, shame what happend to Vincet.

However if you replay it you're punished if you kill to much etc. with the "bad" ending in which you find Douglas stabbed to death and yourself holding the dagger with hands covered in blood "Leading the way to paradise with stained hands."

Roman Collar Clock

The SH game I've played to conclusion was Silent Hill 5.  It was pretty good because of how surreal it was, and also how it's never conclusive.

The only other one I've played was number 2, and I never got into it.  All I did at the start was run around and get lost, but I didn't devote a lot of time to the game.  In the future I might pick up a ps2 and play the other silent hill games.  Maybe give 2 another chance...who knows.
Quote from: Inquisitor on October 10, 2008, 07:10:33 PM
Whenever RomanCollar goes to 7-11 he gets a dick-flavored slurpee.

PropagandaClock

Quote from: Roman Collar Clock;1681810The SH game I've played to conclusion was Silent Hill 5.  It was pretty good because of how surreal it was, and also how it's never conclusive.

The only other one I've played was number 2, and I never got into it.  All I did at the start was run around and get lost, but I didn't devote a lot of time to the game.  In the future I might pick up a ps2 and play the other silent hill games.  Maybe give 2 another chance...who knows.
The fifth isn't so much a Silent Hill game as just an action game with a hint of Silent Hill lore but only the very very bad parts of the lore.

Roman Collar Clock

I had the feeling SH fans would say that. lol.  If I played the other games before 5 I'd probably feel the same.
Quote from: Inquisitor on October 10, 2008, 07:10:33 PM
Whenever RomanCollar goes to 7-11 he gets a dick-flavored slurpee.

ProqagandaClock

I didn't I still found it to be lacking though, it's scary the first 1½ rooms untill you notice spamming attack works against 90% of the monsters in game and the fact that you end up killing more humans than monsters should turn of any real horror fan

Not to say it's a horrible game, I love Dead Space even though it aint scary at all

F U Clock

Quote from: Roman Collar Clock;1681810The only other one I've played was number 2, and I never got into it.  All I did at the start was run around and get lost, but I didn't devote a lot of time to the game.  In the future I might pick up a ps2 and play the other silent hill games.  Maybe give 2 another chance...who knows.

You should definitely give it another chance.

SH2 builds its horror really slowly. There'll be moments where you're walking down hallways that stretch for forever, and it'll start to just make you anxious for it to end. One of the things I love about it is that it doesn't play like a video game. The environments feel like real places. In the beginning, when you're slowly making your way into the town through the woods, you don't just walk a 10' trail and you're there, it actually makes you wander a bit. It expects you to maneuver actual distances (something SH3 didn't do, and it perturbed me somewhat). But that's just justification of the things you didn't like about it; besides all that, once you get into it there's some amazing stuff to be found.

buttplug

postin to say SH2 is crazy good

ProqagandaClock

So I finished Silent Hill 2
And I don't know if its because I'm to much of a gamer but I had way to much stuff on me during the entire game.
It had a better overall story than any other game and the most sympathetical main character but I find Silent Hill 3 to be an overall better gaming experience. I don't know why but SH2 just didn't manage to creep me out as much... though I blame this on the fact that I played all the other Silent Hills before it so I had built up quite the tolerance.

Pyramid Head is awesome, the music was better but 3rd had much more noise when monsters were there making it more panicing.

Still a great game and once again I am saddend at how modern gaming has just turned for the worse.

Topcatyo

I played Silent Hill 1 over the summer.  I beat about half the game in a single night (started at midnight, volume up, lights off).
Game was damn tense and damn fine (and holy shit confusing at times, which really kinda scared me for some reason because of how confusing it got).
I got the worst ending.

buttplug

Quote from: topcatyo;1757504I played Silent Hill 1 over the summer.  I beat about half the game in a single night (started at midnight, volume up, lights off).
Game was damn tense and damn fine (and holy shit confusing at times, which really kinda scared me for some reason because of how confusing it got).
I got the worst ending.

I was so surprised at how disturbing they could make a PS1 game.

GearBoxClock

THE SHIBA INU IS CANON

Marlin Clock

They do so much so well with music in SH2, which sucks for me cause I was sensitive to every errant noise they threw at me. I could only last for an hour or two at best before throwing in the towel for that session.