News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomCatClock

shmorky isn't dead

unless you meant dead to you, then yes r.i.p.

Slurpee

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on March 23, 2020, 06:50:12 PM
shmorky isn't dead

unless you meant dead to you, then yes r.i.p.
have I never used that joke here before? I feel like I do it all the time

I meant it like "oh well they're dead and so we don't have to get into their long, gross, convoluted fall from grace, they just died in a car crash or something moments after the last time any of us felt fondly about them, r.i.p. extremely dead person that we don't have to talk about"

Slurpee

like this: joss whedon (r.i.p.)

or this: john k (r.i.piss) (it's piss because I never liked him anyway)

Slurpee

I stole it from a wrestler, I can't remember who
but they were talking about Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, Perry Saturn, and Dean Malenko and said "God rest him" after Dean Malenko

which, if you're in the know, is like the funniest, darkest joke you could make when talking about those four
because their careers are all closely linked because they left WCW to join WWE together at the height of the monday night wars, Guerrero died tragically young of heart failure after overcoming opioid and steroid abuse, Benoit murdered his wife and kid and hanged himself, Saturn was shot in the spine while preventing a rape, became addicted to meth, vanished for decades, and is still struggling with dementia and mental illness, and Malenko... is a respected industry veteran who's spent the last 20 years working comfortably as a producer and road agent

Slurpee

it's not really the same joke but you can see how the one I use mutated out of that

RobClock

Shmorky died in a tragic shark farming accident years ago

VCRClock

<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

Slurpee

zl

I'm feeling bleakly gratified that this virus is forcing a reckoning with reality, after decades of american political gaslighting, eg "technology and innovation will fix everything"or "we can overcome anything when we work together (to maintain the status quo)."

Millions of jobs being disrupted, economic shutdown, massive reduction of travel and tourism industries, political talk about suspending bank payments, loan payments, and giving money directly to individuals so they can weather the transition - this is all exactly the kind of response to climate change that has been necessary and denied throughout my lifetime. It's a shame we aren't in the fourth year of a Sanders presidency, where this emergency would be used as a transition to a new economy, where failing banks and airlines could be replaced by national alternatives that don't have a profit motive (outside of the broad concept of societal profit and welfare).

Instead it looks like we're going to get extra border security and authoritarian powers.

But still. We're dealing with something that can't just be rhetoric'd away, and that is impacting the lives of people who insisted that politics is a dick-waving contest that doesn't apply to their lives, except for the taxes that get stolen from their 100% independently-earned, government-printed money.

Even if every part of this response goes wrong, this moment is still an assertion of reality upon a fantasy of endless growth and picket fences and movie-plot expectations of politics. Maybe it will imprint the idea that large-scale change is possible, inevitable, necessary, on a few of the gaslit holdouts.

RobClock

PhantomCatClock

Quote from: zl on March 24, 2020, 07:57:09 AM
But still. We're dealing with something that can't just be rhetoric'd away

I hope everything you said ends up being true but I've been meaning to say I'm preemptively pissed off at the talk about this ten years later

The social distancing doesn't work? Goodbye hospitals being able to treat people—not just this. It's not like the normal emergencies are gonna stop working.

It does work? "Man, remember Ebola, swine flu, and COVID-19? Why should I take any bullshit emergency seriously ever again?"

PhantomCatClock

I'm glad the debates are talking about this properly, but I can assure you that the average joe has a lot of rhetoric about the whole thing. Bless the last sentence of your post, though

PhantomCatClock

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on March 11, 2020, 10:46:32 AM
oh wow I managed to get back into my neopets account. neat.

I don't know how I missed this, but (1) did that Kotaku article remind you of it? and (2)

look whose old rare items mostly went up in price :cool:

disregard the dozens and dozens that are worth 1k now tho

PhantomCatClock

what the FUCK happened to the cool emoji? someone had bett

oh wait i can fix that one sec

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on March 24, 2020, 12:35:56 PM
Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on March 11, 2020, 10:46:32 AM
oh wow I managed to get back into my neopets account. neat.

I don't know how I missed this, but (1) did that Kotaku article remind you of it? and (2)

look whose old rare items mostly went up in price :cool:

disregard the dozens and dozens that are worth 1k now tho
1 no it just sorta floated into my head 2 lol wow that's incredible. I've got maybe 45k in the bank and the only item of value I have is a spotted paintbrush. that's humming for some reason?

RobClock

Spring is a lie sold to us as first graders

Like Santa Claus, or the concept of happiness

PhantomCatClock

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on March 24, 2020, 01:44:12 PM
the only item of value I have is a spotted paintbrush. that's humming for some reason?

yeah spotted is a decently priced one. The humming is so you can stick it in your gooch and I can guarantee you every spotted painted pet you see just stuck it too deep/slipped and regret not selling

VCRClock

Quote from: zl on March 24, 2020, 07:57:09 AM
except for the taxes that get stolen from their 100% independently-earned, government-printed money

bitcoin, bro
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

PhantomCatClock

bitcoins are digital, which all us educated folk knows means they are made of electricity

well WHO PRINTS THE ELECTRICITY????????????????????????????????????????????

PhantomCatClock