News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

IRC and Radio, leading into 2013.

Farted by screwdriver_clock, October 09, 2012, 03:23:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screwdriver_clock

As of today, I've spent a little under $335 on the ClockCrew, be it through prizes, radio or the IRC. This isn't including things for the members as individuals, or the weenie roast Pizza Fund (neither of those two things I regret, solid investments). A more detailed breakdown:

Radio: $25.47/quarterly, 5 quarters paid, up for renewal 04NOV2012.

IRC: $8.45/monthly, plus initial installation fees, domain changes and renewals.

CD 2011 Top Prize: Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch: $99.95 at time of purchase.

Once again, I don't want to sound like a whiner, but while I would like to say it has been worth it, the numbers don't lie.

Here are the Stats for Radio Usage in 2011 (Starting in August of said year)

Pretty decent, Used up the quota in August, followed by a slow tapering into regularity, until

This year. This year, we have used less than 5% of the allotted bandwidth for each quarter. Granted, we haven't had many radio shows recently so this isn't surprising.

Given I haven't had much time to check up on on IRC, seeing as I've been out more and more lately. However every once in a while I've been peeking in just to see who's on. The general consensus is that sans myself, the current population of CC IRC looks as follows:

Which leaves me sort of embarrassed to have been paying so long for what more less amounts to Ivy League Brotherhood Chat. Why not irc? Because irc is dead, apparently.

And with that, I might as well get to the big statement, which is that as of today, I am cutting off funding for both the radio server and the IRC. Both should function into November, at which point it will be up to you all to decide whether or not it is worth continuing or letting settle into dust. I'm not doing this because I don't love you guys, or because I don't find the CC worthwhile anymore, it's just that I don't see why I'm spending what I am on services that either you guys don't appreciate or have the use for. So sorry if any toes were stepped on, but what's done is done.

{{{CLOCK_CREW}}}

clockradioclock

You really shouldn't have to apologize for anything. We're the ones who should be sorry.

I'm sorry you spent this much on functionality people wailed to have and neglected once it was got. I really am sorry.

Expectations at the cc run high for things we generally can't afford to have. We lack time, resources, money, and motivation. I don't want to do anything for this place because it's pretty much dead to me. We're also dead to the rest of the world. We're dreadfully old-fashioned and I don't think we're ever going to move forward. Consistant regression is the future. call now
[SIGPIC]dance with me[/SIGPIC]

AlbinoClock

I didn't even know we had a radio anymore. IRC is dead because everyone uses blast. But yeah, it's awesome that you hosted them for as long as you did.

AbsintheClock

As much as I like the radio, and things like that I think we need to re-assess how this site functions. As much as I'd like to have stuff like an academy, a radio, and a new layout every week there really isn't much to justify it. I like that even though our numbers are dwindling, we're still cranking out more flash per person than we have in a long time. That being said, I think we can do a better job than we have if we focus more on our execution of how we do things, and less on the 5 million ideas we'd love to do. We are not dead. We've been called it many times, but our tiny core is too tough to die. It's time we make some realistic expectations of ourselves, and simplify out of our dreadfully complicated system that we have now. Once Clockoween is over, the staff will be working on more new ideas for the site, for our content, and for our members. That being said, if you'd like to give me a good case as for why we should keep going, please make something for Clockoween (doesn't have to be the day of, any time this month) or work on our Clockhouse Theater project that has a deadline looming dangerously close. We only die once we stop. Lets not stop.

I1I1I1I1I1I1I11111I1I1I1IIIIIII1I1I1I1I11I

I always wanted to do a radio show, but I didn't really know how to set it up :c That being said, I tune into the radio whenever it's on the same time that I'm online, and LumpClock introduced me to one of my favourite artists there. I'd like to see the radio still running, but the IRC I couldn't care less about.
Quote from: PezDispenserclock;1948598Abba, I might not smoke weed, but I experiancing it being hit with a crowbar on a modded TTT server. Flashing colours, screen flipped, screen flying. Yup, I know how it\'s like.

Lump Clock

I think this is a fine, executive decision on your guys' part. There is really no reason to continue to feed funds to something that not enough people are enthusiastic about.

For one, I feel the IRC is somewhat superfluous simply because I can just send messages to individuals if necessary or if I want to hit a wider base, start a small thread.

As for the Radio, while I enjoyed hosting about three shows, no one that I noticed cared to listen except a couple of people. I think Yo-Yo listened once, and Blob a couple of times I played a show. I even hosted a show on Clockday, and I don't recall anyone having listen to that either. While it was a great feature to play with and interact with, other users just didn't find the time or enthusiasm to listen to what I (and other members) had to share.

screwdriver_clock

Quote from: MightyBooshClock;1925252I always wanted to do a radio show, but I didn't really know how to set it up :c That being said, I tune into the radio whenever it's on the same time that I'm online, and LumpClock introduced me to one of my favourite artists there. I'd like to see the radio still running, but the IRC I couldn't care less about.

Blob, I hope you realize there were multiple sticky threads on how to do so. Not even that hard to find.

I1I1I1I1I1I1I11111I1I1I1IIIIIII1I1I1I1I11I

Oh cool, I'll do one this weekend then!
Quote from: PezDispenserclock;1948598Abba, I might not smoke weed, but I experiancing it being hit with a crowbar on a modded TTT server. Flashing colours, screen flipped, screen flying. Yup, I know how it\'s like.

DWARFINATORclock

YoYoClock

Quote from: multipass;1925342im boycotting aim because of this and also because aim is complete shit and you're all idiots for using it

This thread had a much better outcome than originally expected.

by Thor + Satellite

Quote from: pop-tart clock;1905428I think yoyo is the best one.

AbsintheClock

Ribs, come on the blast more. It'll be a good time.

AlbinoClock

I could put up an IRCD, but why? Three people are gonna use it.

VuBawlsClock

Fuck anonfrog

clockradioclock

every member of the ivy league brotherhood is the same guy. the IP checks out

miracle fruit

you should have asked for help sooner, and with a better attitude, instead of making a big whiny bitch post now and cutting everything off

AbsintheClock

Why would we spend more money on things that aren't worth it, and ask for help on it? There's better ways to build up the CC.

clockradioclock

screwdriver_clock

Quote from: MiracleFruitClock;1925404you should have asked for help sooner, and with a better attitude, instead of making a big whiny bitch post now and cutting everything off

Ask for help? Asking for help would indicate that I lack the funds to afford doing this for the ClockCrew, which isn't the case. I can, and in the future would be able to afford something like this. My decision came after watching months and months of people not using things like they were intending. And if the post came off as whiny, I'm sorry because that was the one thing I was trying to avoid. All I'm saying is that if you look at the numbers, there isn't much reason to be paying anything for these services, let alone what was being paid. If interest were consistently higher, I wouldn't have any problems.

Marlin Clock

As much fun as it is, I always have kinda lobbied against the radio for that very reason. All the various iterations that have been in existance since my start have always followed the same pattern.

1. Launch of radio and incredible usership for the first month
2. Lack of care on both producer and listener sides causes decreases in the next month (I'll admit I'm guilty of this.)
3. Nigh abandonment by the third month

It never fails to happen.

AlbinoClock

Quote from: multipass;1925559there are free public irc servers.

they are less than ideal because of the minimal access, typical spergy admins/ircops, our (read: clockcrew in general, not those of us who frequent irc regularly) inability to stay out of channels like #furry and harrassing them for "lulz" or some shit, and that a lot of them have connection logs preventing us from using our channel bots effectively.

i would still take that over aim.

I prefer IRC too but most people don't use it soooo