News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Sourdough Cheddar Biscuits

Farted by RenegadeClock, May 24, 2014, 11:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenegadeClock

I've been working on perfecting this one for awhile. It does require some dedication, as you have to make a sourdough starter, but it pays off in the end. If you have the skills to try it, let me know how it turns out for you.

Sourdough Cheddar Biscuits

Makes 12 biscuits

ââ,¬Â¢ 2Ã,¼ cups all purpose flour
ââ,¬Â¢ 3 Tbsp powdered buttermilk
ââ,¬Â¢Ã, 1 tsp sugar
ââ,¬Â¢ 2 tsp baking powder
ââ,¬Â¢ Ã,½ tsp salt
ââ,¬Â¢ Ã,¾ cup of butter (1Ã,½ stick, softened)
ââ,¬Â¢Ã, 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
ââ,¬Â¢ 1Ã,½ cup sourdough starter
ââ,¬Â¢ Ã,¾ cup water
ââ,¬Â¢Ã, 1 Tbsp vegetable oil

Directions:
1. Start with a well-aged sourdough starter that has about a 1:1 ratio of water and flour. Butter is best softened by leaving at room temperature for about 12-24 hours.

2. Adjust oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 450Ã,°F (230Ã,°C). Grease a 12 count muffin tin or cookie sheet with vegetable oil. Spray oil works well for this.

3. Combine all dry ingredients (flour, powdered buttermilk, sugar, baking powder, and salt) in a mixing bowl and whisk together.

4. Cut butter and cheese into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon, until the texture is crumbly.

5. Add sourdough starter and Ã,½ cup of water, then stir together until the dough is thick and wet. If the dough is too dry: slowly add remaining water until the texture is right.

6. Divide the dough evenly into 12 parts on your baking sheet or muffin tin. Bake until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.

7. Allow to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Serve with gravy.

ââ,¬â€Ã¢â,¬â€Ã¢â,¬â€Ã¢â,¬â€Ã¢â,¬â€Ã¢â,¬â€Ã¢â,¬â€Ã¢â,¬â€

Quick Gravy

2 Tbsp butter
Ã,¼ cup all purpose flour
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Ã,¼ tsp onion powder
Ã,¼ tsp garlic powder
Ã,¼ tsp black pepper

Directions:
1. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over a medium-low heat.

2. Add flour and whisk together.

3. Add only about Ã,¼ cup of broth and whisk together until all broth is evenly absorbed. Continue adding only about Ã,¼ cup of broth at a time and whisking together until smooth. Once the gravy is more like a liquid than a paste you can add all the remaining broth and whisk together.

4. Add Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. Whisk until well-combined. Keep gravy on a medium-low heat for about 10 minutes or until thick. Whisk frequently until ready to serve.

pop-tart

These sound delicious.

Make some and take a picture of the finished biscuits.

PhantomCatClock

I almost made it all the way through the title before giving up. I'm the worst at California: I hate sourdough.

RenegadeClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock;1971238I hate sourdough.
Well, fuck you then.

Quote from: pop-tart;1971233These sound delicious. Make some and take a picture of the finished biscuits.
Aye aye capt'n. I have to wait a week though, because my sourdough starter got infected with some mold.

BTW, here's how to make a sourdough starter:

Get a big, quart size mason jar, and dump half a cup of flour in it. Warm up a half cup of water to no more than 100Ã,°F (38Ã,°C). If the water is too hot it will kill the yeast. Stir in the water and 1/4 tsp of sugar. You don't need to add yeast; there's enough wild yeast already in the flour, but if you want you can add 1/2 tsp of bread yeast to speed things up.

If you have a two piece lid for the jar, put the lid LOOSELY back on the jar; Or cover the top with a towel, or cheese cloth and attach it with a rubber band.

Leave the jar out on the counter so it stays at room temperature, but avoid direct sunlight.

Every day you need to feed the starter with 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 tsp of sugar. After seven days the starter should be fermented enough to use in cooking. If you fill the jar and don't plan to use it soon you can store it in the fridge.

LeekClock

Please send a sample pack so I can evaluate the possibility of requesting another sample.