News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VCRClock

I think there are popular people who are popular because they're good at being a friend. I certainly also got shit on by "popular" kids in grade school. I have also met unpopular people who turned out to be unpopular for good reason, but I can't say that being betrayed or talked about by unpopular kids was a recurring problem for me. (I think there is a species of kid who gets rejected by "normies" and styles themselves in opposition to them, but is actually still super image-conscious and guilty of the same competitive king-of-the-hill behavior that hurt them in the first place. I'm not sure I've ever been friends with any. honestly this is probably what underlies my tendency to assume the worst about "alt fashion" enjoyers.) I think being cynical and bitter, generally, is hardly out of line for people who haven't had an easy time finding people to get along with. That can happen even to people who aren't "kind of a dick."

the particular "weirdos" I was thinking of when I wrote the bit you quoted were the founders of the Church of the SubGenius ("stiflingly conservative rural environment" = 1970s Dallas/Fort Worth), or Gary Wilson (New York, but not the densely populated part)... and the kind of "weird" I was thinking of was, like, "would have wanted to talk about Frank Zappa or Captain Beefheart." not even super esoteric and mystifying, necessarily, but if you're somewhere where there aren't a lot of people to talk to about the thing, and there's no "online," finding anyone you can even kind of talk to about the thing is a big deal. also, if you're surrounded (as the SubGenius guys were) by extreme Bible thumpers, and people with lots of money and no humility, and it's kinda horrifying, you gotta laugh to keep from crying...

i'll come back to this maybe but posting is the last thing i need to be doing right now
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

PhantomCatClock

does the bible say anything against peer pressuring people

Slurpee

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on May 01, 2024, 01:12:04 PMdoes the bible say anything against peer pressuring people
I think that'd be very hypocritical of it

Slurpee

oh wait

no yeah the sermon on the mount kinda does

jesus talks about criticizing the speck of dust in your brother's eye when you have a log in your own. I mean that's also about hypocrisy but I always took it to be about how you should just focus on trying to actually live virtuously yourself because if you're instead concerning yourself with making other people conform to your idea of righteous living that's actually just being a dick

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

eyelog is a deliberate fashion statement eyedust means you don't take care of yourself.

PhantomCatClock

anyway vcr watched chinese ghost story 2 and said it was the best movie he ever saw, is why i bring that up

VCRClock

booo i am the ghost of vcrclock. watching a chinese ghost story 2 turned my insides to tapioca
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

PhantomCatClock

pay no heed to my list of undead clocks that's just everybody's name crossed out except slurpee, rob, and flounderman. you're probably gonna have to pirate chinese ghost story 2 by now but it has a kaiju so get to goin'

RobClock

PhantomCatClock

don't fall for it, rob. it's the last fight in a really long movie

Slurpee

Slurpee

this is pretty delightful so far. it reminds me of conan the barbarian and army of darkness and shakespeare

and that's not some kind of weird joke or passive aggressive dis I really mean that
it makes me think of how old stories were just allowed to be everything. but not like bland flavorless test audience everything, a more purehearted version of everything, free to be farcical when the moment is right, and serious when the moment is right, but not feeling like one part takes away from another or like it's been specifically diced up to perfectly timed beats of mccomedy to maximize dopamine output sorry I have a lot of gripes with the modern hollywood blockbuster pipeline I'll go back to watching the movie now

Slurpee

*puase*

this thing where the poem has a different meaning relevant to a new context reminds me something that happened in Ten Earth Shattering Blows. I wonder if that' an older trope that I just haven't had a lot of exposure to for whatever reason? writing something to work that way seems like it would either be really easy or insanely hard

also it's aurally distracting that this woman's name is Susan

*unpaws*

Slurpee

*poss*

the movie is also really pretty to look at

*unpas*

Slurpee

*pahs*

I forgot to mention when it happened but I really liked that moment where the magic-knower dude who just completely spanked the entire fake ghost team out of nowhere, hears the other two people's names and suddenly becomes the lower status character, and he's like "oh wow! you're really uh king arthur and oprah winfrey? badass. allow me to introduce myself, I'm han solo."
it's extremely endearing and also you just instantly understand what the dynamic is going to be going forward

*unpoz*

Slurpee

I love this monster, also

Slurpee

unrelated to the pause/unpause joke I was just doing, this freeze/unfreeze scene is fucking exquisite

Slurpee

okay I got distracted by naruto fanart for a sec but I'm back to watching it again and holy shit the imperial officer dude is going to fight the demon thing

Slurpee

uh yeah me too. spiritual equilibrium. that's why..

Slurpee

that's so weird, this happened to me once

I was framed but they stayed the execution then I met a high priest of the emperor who started casting an evil spell on me. like one to one that exact same thing happened to me last time I was in chico

edit: and then the evil priest turned into a giant golden statue of the amitabha buddha, yep. weird. exact same thing.

is this why you wanted me to watch this dude?