News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Brief reviews of movies you saw recently

Farted by StrangeClock, October 13, 2005, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munglai

Quote from: chocolatechipclockBeing John Malkovich - 10/10

Charlie Kaufman is a goddamn genius.  After seeing Adaptation and this, I wonder how I ever didn't like Eternal Sunshien of the Spotless Mind.  I'm going to go watch that movie again and see if I like it this time.  Anyway, Being John Malkovich is very original.  There are a lot of very funny parts, yet others were harrowing.  Go watch this movie now.

Anyone who doesn't like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is either really boring or has something wrong with them. Or they could be one of those fags who hates indefinite endings.

StrangeClock

Quote from: slurpeeJohnny Pneumonic - (6/10)
The people who call it a Matrix inspiration must be I'm a edgy teen or something. This is terrible cyberpunk from beginning to end. The acting is wooden, the plot completely eats it with needless wandering and bland twists, the dialogue is cornball, and the symbolism forcibly grinds it's way by. I still liked it.

I did a google search for this movie hoping to find a picture of that silly scene where he's fighting in cyberspace or something and came up with this on an elementary school webpage. It IS an appropriate image result for that movie yet I have no idea how it got included in the search.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Slurpee

Quote from: StrangeClockI did a google search for this movie hoping to find a picture of that silly scene where he's fighting in cyberspace or something and came up with this on an elementary school webpage. It IS an appropriate image result for that movie yet I have no idea how it got included in the search.
The image was probably leeched in some tongue in cheek discussion about the movie. Google worked itself some internet magic.
Jones was the best actor in the movie.

Google also informed me of how badly I botched the name of the movie:
Mnemonic - Relating to, assisting, or intended to assist the memory.
Pneumonic - Of, affecting, or relating to the lungs; pulmonary.
:capper:

ChocolateCoffin

Quote from: LospermanHow would you say it stacks up against the other 3?

I've only seen 1 & 2 and they were both better.

Arctic

Hostage - 7/10
In this Die Hard movie, Bruce Willis takes the role of Carl Winslow if his family had been kidnapped.  The 7 year old boy plays the role of John McClane, in his action packed vent crawling.  An idea done to death, but it was mildly entertaining to watch.

Howl's Moving Castle - 8/10
I have to say, I started out really loving this movie.  Such imagination, art and enviroment/feel.  The movie was heading into an awesome direction, and halfway... BOOM! it hit a wall.  The story hit it's limits once they met the "High Priestess" and the fatass got her powers taken away.  The war wasn't even cool... and the monster he became wasn't imaginative at all.

Steamboy - 8/10
It would have gotten a perfect score, had it been as imaginative as Howl's Moving Castle.  I loved the voice actors in this english version and the graphics are not even explainable.  A great movie, besides the fact that it wasn't even about a war, but a demonstration of a war....

DigitalLemonClock

BAN EVERYBODY

PirateClock

ladder 49  8/10

great story. kinda sad at some point. but i also has some great humor when you see the pranks the fireman pull on each other.  also loads of great action.  it's like backdraft only way better.
_pirate_butchcavities (20:29:15): FUCK CLOCKS _pirate_

LeekClock

Ghostbusters 10/10

This movie has everything. It was one of my favourite movies as a kid - I must have seen it a hundred times. Although rediscovering it as an ADULT, makes it even better, because now I understand some of the jokes and conversations I didn't understand when I was a stupid kid.

PirateClock

Quote from: LeekClockGhostbusters 10/10

This movie has everything. It was one of my favourite movies as a kid - I must have seen it a hundred times. Although rediscovering it as an ADULT, makes it even better, because now I understand some of the jokes and conversations I didn't understand when I was a stupid kid.
it has bill murray and dan akroyd what more do you want.
_pirate_butchcavities (20:29:15): FUCK CLOCKS _pirate_

LeekClock

Yeah exactly. Apparently Dan Akroyd and Harold Ramis actually wrote it, too. I didn't know that until now.

AdrenalineClock

Jimmy McNulty

Donnie darko: 10/10
This movie is amazing. It's well acted and directed. It's unnerving, funny, and thought provoking all at the same time. It blew me away.

Losperman

Chicken Little - 7/10

This is a really good movie, especially for Disney's computer animation team (with no help from Pixar). But there is one problem that pretty much accounts for all the points I took off: length. 74 minutes? What the fuck? I've had orgasms last longer than that. I understand that it's a kids movie, but even when compared to other animated movies (Finding Nemo, the Incredibles, Aladdin, etc) it's still on the short side.

Stay - 6/10

I think if I saw this movie again my score would probably go up by a point or two. But as it stands, I still have no clue what the fuck was going on. I couldn't figure out who was seeing what and in what world. I kept thinking "wow, this movie is really clever," but then I couldn't figure out what it was being clever about. Acting and directing were great, though.
Sig by {{{Zombie Lincoln}}}

:capn: BUSTAS! :capn:

ChocolateCoffin

Hey Arnold The Movie 9/10

Great animation voices story etc.

chocolatechipclock

Quote from: LospermanStay - 6/10

I think if I saw this movie again my score would probably go up by a point or two. But as it stands, I still have no clue what the fuck was going on. I couldn't figure out who was seeing what and in what world. I kept thinking "wow, this movie is really clever," but then I couldn't figure out what it was being clever about. Acting and directing were great, though.

SPOILER ALERT

In the end you're supposed to figure out (although I admit it is very confusing, and it took a while to understand) that the main character was just having a dream the whole time because he had just been in a car crash and was knocked out.  However, he was more like half-asleep, because the people that were saving his life were appearing in his dream.  I thought the movie was really cool.  I'd give it a 9/10.

Losperman

Quote from: chocolatechipclockSPOILER ALERT

In the end you're supposed to figure out (although I admit it is very confusing, and it took a while to understand) that the main character was just having a dream the whole time because he had just been in a car crash and was knocked out.  However, he was more like half-asleep, because the people that were saving his life were appearing in his dream.  I thought the movie was really cool.  I'd give it a 9/10.

WTF? Then why does the movie center around Ewan McGregor? How do we see all of his actions if it is the kids dream? Argh, so confused. I have to watch it again, dammit. It's like a David Lynch movie all over again.

ChocolateCoffin

The dark 0.2/10

GAH! This was just a horrendous trainwreck of a film. Terrible acting and not scary at all. Waste of my time and it'll be a waste of yours.

Losperman

Jack - 9/10

Robin Williams was perfect for this role, and really made the movie. A lot of great humor that will remind most people of their own childhood, and the balance of touching moments was good. And, perhaps most importantly, Diane Lane is hot in this movie. Really hot.

Slurpee

(spoilers?)
Silent Hill - 3/5
Eh. I was expecting either to be sorely disappointed or to have my mind blown out my ass (where I store it.)
Ended up being somewhere in between. The acting was terrible, and there were a lot of unneccesary changes made, especially in terms of the town itself. There was also way too much exposition. It was obviously there to benefit the mentally deficient audience that couldn't put two and two together, but the long assed "here let me explain every thing that happens in the entire movie" part was a terrible break from the subtlety of the games.
 Though, the climax was worth the wait. Haven't seen anything like that since Hellraiser. I would have preferred to have Pyramid Head come in and start fucking things up, though.

Thank You For Smoking - 4.75/5
Awesome, and hilarious. Aaron Eckhart is a fucking rock star.

Mask

Primer 4/10

Creepy, complex, horrendously unexplained and unnerving film. Two backyard scientists  build a time machine in there garage and play around with the possibilites.  Things go wrong after an encounter with a double (I think, I was so fucking confused :3) and everything unravels. Shot in a claustraphobic fly on the wall frame involving two characters (who never change clothes and look like unshaven mormons). Very short but very creepy. Beat "Garden State" and "Napolean Dynamite" for the Sundance Jury Prize for best independant film. You need a good understanding of physics for this one, something I am lacking.