News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slurpee

one time the next customer in line waited until she was was out of earshot and he went "boston sucks" and gave me a look like yikes 😬
he said "I have to go there for work and I never would if I didn't have to, it's my least favorite place in the world"

I pictured the old lady going to boston and finding out that it actually sucks, and it made me so sad. going back to boston seemed like the only thing she cared about
I think about this often

Slurpee

starting from the assumption that boston sucks, what would be the best outcome? for her to go back to boston and find it's no longer what it is in her head (if it ever was) seems heart-rending.
but would it be better if she died still dreaming about it? going into the great beyond never getting to fulfill her one wish?

Slurpee

I think the best thing would be if she went to boston and it sucked but she loved it anyway because she just sees something in it that other people don't. that's a nice thought

GreyClock

PhantomCatClock

maybe she lived in a part of boston where people lived and the guy who went there for work went to the part of boston where people worked

boston is big

Slurpee

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on March 01, 2020, 11:48:41 AM
maybe she lived in a part of boston where people lived and the guy who went there for work went to the part of boston where people worked

boston is big
yeeeah, but cities have character, y'know?

I guess part of it is knowing how much san francisco has changed in my lifetime
almost nothing from my childhood was still there by my 20's, by which time it had become this hub of young adult culture (r.i.p. basic brown bear factory, original exploratorium, stacey's bookstore, the warners brothers store, various and sundry at pier 39)
and now almost nothing from my 20's is still there because of the techies moving in (r.i.p. trigger, hemlock tavern, red vic theater, elbo room, lime, amnesia, general public nudity)
the only thing that's remained consistent about sf is that it is dog shit fucking filthy, and, don't go to turk street
if I had moved out of the bay area when I was a kid and revisited to try to recapture the way it made me feel now it'd be sad. this lady had been gone from boston for 70 years

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I miss san francisco. I dont know if I'll ever go back though. for pretty much the  reasons you just described.

also monthly voting on newgrounds is here, three of our flashes managed to get in so make sure to vote for them. Inkwells' Expectation Break, Vuvuzela's Stones of Anarchy game, and, for some reason, my Flounderman Robs a 7-11. I kinda expected more than just three flashes to be up for voting but you just can't compete with yugioh hentai.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

di di di digimon. digimon. di di-

RobClock

CHANGe into DIGITAL CHAMPIONS TOOOOOOOO RULE THE DIGITAL WORLD

PhantomCatClock

Slurpee

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on March 01, 2020, 02:12:05 PM

is this real

one of those "nobody making the show speaks english" things

RobClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on March 01, 2020, 04:02:55 PM
[u2]BxdTpn4c8Os[/u2]zxsdcv

shitty clickbait title aside i really loved that

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: Slurpee on March 01, 2020, 04:14:21 PM
Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on March 01, 2020, 02:12:05 PM

is this real

one of those "nobody making the show speaks english" things
lol yeah it's real. it's not incoherent enough to be a mistake either. I think it's supposed to be their idea of a western punk or metal band poster.

VCRClock

I think despite not being what it was in the 40s, if I really wanted to see boston again like that, I don't think I'd be disappointed. I think it's the kind of city with enough attachment to its own history, and persistent enough regional character, that even a brave new 2020s boston would still feel like a boston of some sort. even if the buildings that used to contain lady's favorite haunts had been razed and redeveloped, and institutions like filene's department store didn't exist anymore. there'd be locals dead set on remembering that type of shit, and there'd be places -- especially public spaces and historic districts -- that'd still be recognizable. and, like, the infuriating mess of streets that boston is. i'd worry that if I'd come from, like, salt lake city, and returned after decades of being away, I'd go to some intersection looking for a building, not find it there, and wonder if I'd remembered the address wrong, but I don't think that'd happen in boston.

also boston maybe has the good fortune of not being a tech elite meme city?

boston doesn't suck that guy's dumb
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: VCRClock on March 02, 2020, 12:01:51 AMalso boston maybe has the good fortune of not being a tech elite meme city?
this is an important factor to consider

patriotclock

i just bought a house. im poor now but at least not homeless tbh

pop-tart

RobClock

I got the contractors coming by Wednesday to give me a quote and a meeting with the bank on Friday

Say a prayer for me, CC. I need some good luck at the moment.

PhantomCatClock

would Red Green get a new truck, or would he tape the bumper back on? Or, like, make a new/better bumper out of old inner tubes