News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

TF2 upgradable weapons?

Farted by AirPumpClock, March 27, 2008, 06:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirPumpClock

Sort of a video game debate thread. I've heard valve want upgradable weapons in TF2.

In my opinion, that would ruin it. It would make it like a MMORPG, much like CoD4.

TremcladClock

Yeah, we don't need that kind of rubbish in TF2. It's fine the way it is.

The only "RPG-type" element I wouldn't mind seeing is an XP/Rank system like in Wolfenstein : Enemy Territory.

Topcatyo

I thought the new achievements would be great and would be more fun things to try, but then I heard that the reward for completing the achievements is upgradeable weapons, which is making me not want the new achievements after all.

SockpuppetClock

Quote from: AirPumpClock;1264925Sort of a video game debate thread. I've heard valve want upgradable weapons in TF2.
I think you misread that. There's going to be unlockable weapons, not upgradable. As in new ways of playing a certain class which probably shouldn't outbalance it too much.

buttplug

Wait wait waiiiiit CoD4 is like an RPG? I gotta get that shit!

BreadfruitClock

PaperClipClock

need a lvl 55 magic user dispenser here

ChocolateCoffin

Well, it's more like , if you complete every achievement for that character, you get one new gun.

SockpuppetClock

Quote from: ʎɹɹǝqlıʌǝ;1265266Well, it's more like , if you complete every achievement for that character, you get one new gun.
actually if you get half of all the achievements you get one new gun and then when you get all the achievements you get another new gun, leaving you with 2 new guns

crock pot pot roadt

A flaming bat that instead of making clanks and clunks, makes BOIPs and BONKs

PolyhedronClock

Quote from: Officer Michaels;1264947I thought the new achievements would be great and would be more fun things to try, but then I heard that the reward for completing the achievements is upgradeable weapons, which is making me not want the new achievements after all.

BreadfruitClock

Quote from: Polyhedron Clock;1265326
I would have completed that thousands of times by now.

PolyhedronClock

Quote from: Gardevoir;1265360I would have completed that thousands of times by now.

Why don't I ever see you on Steam? I sent you a request ages ago.

AirPumpClock

Unlockable weapons sounds equally bad.

MY +100 OVERHEALER HEALS MY HEAVY BETTER THAN UR +1 MEDIGUN LOLOLOLOLOL NUB

uggggggh my brain

Topcatyo

I'll trust Valve for this, though.  They seem to put a lot of work into balancing things out, so hopefully these new weapons won't suck.

Exclamation Mark

Quote from: AirPumpClock;1265812Unlockable weapons sounds equally bad.

MY +100 OVERHEALER HEALS MY HEAVY BETTER THAN UR +1 MEDIGUN LOLOLOLOLOL NUB

uggggggh my brain
You missed part of the point, like for example they were planning on giving the medic a medigun that when you unleash it's ubercharge, as a 100% crit rate for 10 seconds instead of invunrability for 10 seconds, which would be more usefull in some situations but not in others. If that makes more sense?
Quote from: Crucifix;1556967I now have a 14 year old girl hitting on me. If I had proof she wasn\'t a 50 year old man I\'d be masturbating right about now :>

salt

Yeah kinda what Topcat said.

Valve seem like a real professional company to me and really, none of their games have been awful or merely average and they haven't fucked any up so I trust them on this one.
hej.

okkkkkkkk,k

http://www.last.fm/user/SaltClock

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

AirPumpClock

Quote from: Yannis Philippakis;1265952Yeah kinda what Topcat said.

Valve seem like a real professional company to me and really, none of their games have been awful or merely average and they haven't fucked any up so I trust them on this one.

Well, based on the commentaries, they do seem to know what they're doing.

It just bothers me that, instead of starting off a match equal, you start off a match with better or worse players based on how many achievements they have. That's like giving a chess player more powerful chess pieces because he's played other games of chess before.

SockpuppetClock

Quote from: AirPumpClock;1265962It just bothers me that, instead of starting off a match equal, you start off a match with better or worse players based on how many achievements they have. That's like giving a chess player more powerful chess pieces because he's played other games of chess before.
I would think the weapons wouldn't be stronger, but simply different, giving different play styles and advantages or whatever the hell.

Anyways, it's Valve! They haven't fucked up major gameplay changes yet (although that dynamic pricing in CSS probably was a bad idea).

AirPumpClock

Quote from: SockPuppetClock;1265968I would think the weapons wouldn't be stronger, but simply different, giving different play styles and advantages or whatever the hell.

Anyways, it's Valve! They haven't fucked up major gameplay changes yet (although that dynamic pricing in CSS probably was a bad idea).

Hmm, different seems okay, but isn't that an advantage in and of itself?