News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

What are you all currently playing? (Fucking post in this thread dammit.)

Farted by NintendrCkolc, May 01, 2016, 11:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Everything I can test on my new casual scrub prebuilt pc. F Zero GX looks great in 4k god damn. The side of the case is glass so I put an octopus in there.

Do not open the case, no matter how many times the octopus asks for a hug. you must NEVER hug an octopus.

PannacottaClock

it's true Binding Of Isaac is way better on a keyboard

I'm playing that and Gungeon now that I'm bored with new games again and they're perfect for listening to podcasts in the background so I'm currently listening to 99% Invisible but this isn't the what are you all currently listening thread
pannacottaclock

DiscoBallClock

I've been meaning to give Gungeon a try, the friend that put me on to BOI plays that sometimes

[FLASH=http://files.myfrogbag.com/kqk1bc/discosig.swf]http://width=300 height=200[/FLASH]

RobClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on September 10, 2020, 09:31:43 PM
That looks like it handles poorly, like the gameboy one. People've been emulating Mario games since the 90's COME ON SON

That demo predates Commander Keen so it's probably 1990 and the first time anyone ever achieved smooth side scrolling on a PC cut them a break

Clocktopus

Clocktopus

Quote from: DiscoBallClock on September 11, 2020, 03:18:27 AM
I've been meaning to give Gungeon a try, the friend that put me on to BOI plays that sometimes

It's much much much harder from my experience.

I can't make any fucking progress.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I haven't played gungeon or even issac. That's weird right? Especially at this point? My favorite roguelike(?) action game, one of only two* I've ever even put any time into, is Heart & Slash

Nobody plays this. Nobody ever WILL play this but god damn are there a lot of fun weapons and robots to unlock in this game. And the visual aesthetic is the sort of blocky Mega Man Legends era robotics I love. It's the sort of thing that specifically reaches out to me and demands I play it. But there's also little reason to re-beat the game so you probably won't even see all the weapons since there's so damn many.  And they don't even bother giving the other Robot's proper story modes, some of them just repeat the cut scenes from the main character even though it makes no sense. Others none at all. I wish it had a higher budget or they would go back and expand the game with a "deluxe" version, but it's a memorable experience as is. Great if you can pick it up on sale.

*The other one is Dead Cells but people actually know what that is.

Clocktopus

ive been enjoying risk of rain 2

it has the randomized loot and unlocking loot methods i love so much in isaac

D.VaClock

I am playing Crusader Kings 3, it's missing a lot of things I liked about CK2, but it is better in many aspects.
D.Va Clock? More like D.VA COCK!!!

PhantomCatClock

rob, not everything should use commander keen as an epoch

but I meant that for boohooclock who was saying he couldn't imagine playing a mario platformer on a keyboard

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on September 11, 2020, 08:22:04 PM
rob, not everything should use commander keen as an epoch

but I meant that for boohooclock who was saying he couldn't imagine playing a mario platformer on a keyboard
If you aren't playing Super Mario Bros 3 on a data hand you aren't really playing it

PhantomCatClock

well you see the NES had eight buttons on its controller but really you only need to press start once so let's say six. recently I've taken to hooking up the power lines outside to the GPIO pins in a raspberry pi and playing it like that, manually touching the power lines to select a level then just letting birds land on the wires and play the game for me.

PhantomCatClock

DiscoBallClock

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on September 11, 2020, 01:24:35 PM
I haven't played gungeon or even issac. That's weird right? Especially at this point? My favorite roguelike(?) action game, one of only two* I've ever even put any time into, is Heart & Slash

Nobody plays this. Nobody ever WILL play this but god damn are there a lot of fun weapons and robots to unlock in this game. And the visual aesthetic is the sort of blocky Mega Man Legends era robotics I love. It's the sort of thing that specifically reaches out to me and demands I play it. But there's also little reason to re-beat the game so you probably won't even see all the weapons since there's so damn many.  And they don't even bother giving the other Robot's proper story modes, some of them just repeat the cut scenes from the main character even though it makes no sense. Others none at all. I wish it had a higher budget or they would go back and expand the game with a "deluxe" version, but it's a memorable experience as is. Great if you can pick it up on sale.

*The other one is Dead Cells but people actually know what that is.

The visuals look great!

(For what it's worth, not a lot of people know Isaac over here, for some reason)
Quote from: Clocktopus on September 11, 2020, 12:23:41 PM
Quote from: DiscoBallClock on September 11, 2020, 03:18:27 AM

It's much much much harder from my experience.

I can't make any fucking progress.

I've played with said friend in co-op mode and yeah, it struck me as being way harder, especially the boss fights

[FLASH=http://files.myfrogbag.com/kqk1bc/discosig.swf]http://width=300 height=200[/FLASH]

k9

that aesthetic is beautiful

im playin MGS2 rn and godammit this game feels really ahead of its time with the whole twist, which I won't spoil, but most of you probably know anyway. Considering how TLOU2 tried to do the same thing this year and people lost their shit over it, I wonder how people must of felt about it all the way back in 2001.

Marlin Clock

Just got back into XCOM 2: War of the Chosen. I started save scrumming, and i feel a little bad about it but I'm 100% sure I'd have lost in like four missions if I didn't. I forgot how much of a bitch late game XCOM was.

NintendrCkolc

Quote from: K-9_CLOCK on September 12, 2020, 12:06:12 PM
I wonder how people must of felt about it all the way back in 2001.

We fucking hated it. (most of us anyway) Nobody wanted it and while the story has a 1984 vibe going for it, it ultimately came off as pretentious and wasn't anywhere near as compelling or engaging as the original. I respect what Kojima was trying to do with it, but MGS1's story overall was just better imo. The characters, villains, setting, music, voice acting, etc where all more engaging. 2's story, I feel, is where Kojima probably had the most regret going forward with the series. While he definitely did something unique here, continuing the narrative and expanding on what 2 brought to the story, imo, ultimately made MGS4 that much worse. You can tell they really wrote themselves into a corner, especially being that 4's key narrative mcguffin is "nanomachines lol", a plot device that didn't have as much significance in the first game but ultimately became the "get out of jail free" card for the rest of the story. 

I'd also add that the stylistic hand drawn portraits for the codec were more aesthetically pleasing than the polygonal faces we saw in 2, and you could almost make the argument that the gameplay was superior. MGS2 ran at 60fps and was smooth as butter in terms of overall feel and tightness of control, so I can't outright say MGS2 had worse gameplay but everything else was just disappointing and left a bad taste in my mouth. I LOVED MGS1 and 2 just didn't have anything of what made 1 so great.

MGS3, however, was probably peak metal gear. The camo system wasn't the best but its story (especially), characters, music, and gameplay (subsistence) were all superior to 2 and ultimately it had the most satisfying ending in the series.

PhantomCatClock

I wasn't going to say anything because I have been disagreeing with k-9 a lot lately and don't want to look like a BULLIAM, and I didn't play 2, but that's what I remembered friends saying. Like, other than the story, it was great and the story did end up aging well

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I might be weird in that I loved MGS2 when it came out and still enjoy it. Working with Snake for the rest of the game was neat, I like the idea of palling around with the previous game's protagonist in a game. I never actually knew anyone who hated it. It must have varied by where you were. I have a feeling it was exaggerated but what do I know. Kojima was at least affected by it but that would be the japanese response. Funfact: that's the response that made Pokemon linear from black/white onwards. diamond and pearl were too labyrinthine I guess. Which is true but I loved that shit. And there was another literal labyrinth UNDER the world map. I hope breath of the wild 2 is like that, above ground is the original map but the towns have been redeveloped, and underground is all interconnected dungeons and shit.

Oh and this definitely makes me weird, when I finally got around to MGS3 I was kinda underwhelmed. Excellent level design, well crafted weapons tools and gameplay systems,  Listening to snake eater while climbing a ladder was 10/10 and I don't know why, I enjoyed the hell out of it overall. Yet the story didn't really get me like the first two. And it goes on foreeeeeever. MGS2 didn't feel pretentious to me but this one seems like it's insisting on it's own brilliance when all it's telling me is "war bad" and "being a soldier is hard". Well no shit. MGS2 just felt like it "was", though there were some bits that felt preachy at worst. Your codec buddies aren't as great either, they're mostly there for raw information when needed (Except the girl you talk to about eating random animals those convos are all hilarious). I didn't even like the Boss. Everybody loves the Boss. But when I think about her I see here complaining about how bad the world is while actively helping it be that way. She treats Snake like he's naive but she's herself could be summed up with "hey I was just following orders lol". So for me the ending felt kinda cloying. I still haven't played MGS4 outside of watching a friend play through some of the important bits, but I heard a lot of criticism for it and a lot of it felt like it could be for MGS3.

I might play the game again to see if my opinions change. Even if they don't the gameplay is so good and varied that you could go through it three times and play each section completely differently every playthrough. MGS2 didn't feel like I was getting enough time or opportunity to use my full arsenal, maybe I was playing it wrong. But then in MGS3 even the fucking frogs are useful. How many games let you throw snakes at people or abuse their fear of frogs? Not many I can tell you that much.

Also Twin Snakes is my favorite overall. The series could end there and I wouldn't even mind.

DiscoBallClock

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on September 13, 2020, 04:46:03 PM
Funfact: that's the response that made Pokemon linear from black/white onwards. diamond and pearl were too labyrinthine I guess. Which is true but I loved that shit. And there was another literal labyrinth UNDER the world map. I hope breath of the wild 2 is like that, above ground is the original map but the towns have been redeveloped, and underground is all interconnected dungeons and shit.

I didn't think that D/P were too much of a Labyrinth, Pokemon games are kinda linear in general because they set artificial walls to stop you from straying too much. But I did like the post-game content in B/W