Clock Crew

Clock Crew Archives => Necrapolis => Topic farted by: Slurpee on July 13, 2008, 01:19:49 AM

Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Slurpee on July 13, 2008, 01:19:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant%27Ignazio

a dome:
(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg232.imageshack.us%2Fimg232%2F3812%2Fignazioob3.jpg&hash=a76132119b32309afaaec4580888a237fdcdcde8)
the same dome, revealing its terrible secret:
(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg356.imageshack.us%2Fimg356%2F2484%2F800pxromesantignaziodomlh4.jpg&hash=266589aee2a3913a05b56fb1666a55b029ac02fe)

fake dome, noice.

dunno wat this is:
(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg232.imageshack.us%2Fimg232%2F1451%2F787pxsantignazioaffrescml5.jpg&hash=1b0b1a09d9e03ec82a0bbb6b0a0bd6d0aded19f6)
but its cool

apparently this 17th century italian church was designed appropriating the principles of perspectival anamorphosis (which you may have seen in e-mails from your mother about some awesome sidewalk chalk drawings (http://www.andy-coates.com/blog/2007/05/12/julian-beever-stunning-pavement-artwork/))
meaning it would be way way awesome to look at fakedome: the church irl.

I guess if I'm ever in rome I now have a place I'd like to go
(I found out the statue of zeus at olympia doesn't exist anymore like two months ago)
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Bigglesnoots on July 13, 2008, 01:23:29 AM
That's "trompe l'oeil" and is very common in the 17th century; it's baroque.
we had that last picture on our history exam, too.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Slurpee on July 13, 2008, 01:31:03 AM
Quote from: Maddox;1361646That's "trompe l'oeil" and is very common in the 17th century; it's baroque.
why am I just learning these things now

I wiki'd "baroque" and it's one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen



every art teacher I've ever had has made me hate art (6 hour documentary about andy warhol hello) and it's becoming progressively more and more clear that they were merely horrible teachers
because this shit is interesting on its own.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Topcatyo on July 13, 2008, 01:37:27 AM
That is pretty awesome.  I'm definitely going to take an art history class when I can.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Heliopios on July 13, 2008, 01:43:04 AM
Julian Beever is amazing.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Bigglesnoots on July 13, 2008, 02:51:58 AM
Quote from: :}|;1361650I'm definitely going to take an art history class when I can.
It's standard in our educational plan over here :cool:
highest two grades get it, so I'm really looking forward to it.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: camoclock is a great man on July 13, 2008, 03:36:01 AM
Quote from: Maddox;1361646That's "trompe l'oeil" and is very common in the 17th century; it's baroque.
we had that last picture on our history exam, too.

trompe l'oeil is neoclassicism you moron
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: patriotclock on July 13, 2008, 03:38:50 AM
pretty sure ive been there when i was in rome when i was like 10
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Bigglesnoots on July 13, 2008, 03:40:33 AM
Quote from: CamoClock;1361735trompe l'oeil is neoclassicism you moron
it most certainly is not.

QuoteAlthough the phrase has its origin in the Baroque period, when it refers to perspectival illusionism, use of trompe-l'œil dates back much further.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trompe_l'oeil

neoclassicism evolved from classicism, and that evolved from classic baroque, so it it's not hard to see why someone would make a mistake between the two (eventhough rococo seperated those last two)
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Flounderpa on July 13, 2008, 03:48:54 AM
Quote from: Franklin G. Hamilton;1361740how have you just heard of the concept of baroque now? pretty much every single church that uses white is baroque
but I think it also refers to a style that contemplates purity and a God
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Bigglesnoots on July 13, 2008, 03:51:36 AM
Quote from: HazardClock;1361745but I think it also refers to a style that contemplates purity and a God
depends if you mean full baroque or classic baroque (not sure if those are the right names, my dictionary doesn't translate that good from Dutch).

full baroque is all about praising god yada yada, classic baroque refers to the art that was ordered by kings and states for popularity matters and whatnot. also because they were making tons of money off of the peasants backs :p. Like this.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: TwistClock on July 13, 2008, 03:59:55 AM
That Last picture is awesome.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Flounderpa on July 13, 2008, 04:07:00 AM
Quote from: Maddox;1361747depends if you mean full baroque

full baroque is all about praising god yada yada, classic baroque refers to the art that was ordered by kings and states for popularity matters and whatnot. also because they were making tons of money off of the peasants backs :p
It might be full baroque because the old snazzy kings just requested the artist to make paints of themselves or the nobility. the full is the one you find good, Like Michael Angel.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Bigglesnoots on July 13, 2008, 04:13:03 AM
Quote from: HazardClock;1361752It might be full baroque because the old snazzy kings just requested the artist to make paints of themselves or the nobility. the full is the one you find good, Like Michael Angel.
yeah that's what I meant, full baroque "refers to a style that contemplates purity and a God", as you said. :D
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: HeinekenClock on July 13, 2008, 04:15:54 AM
Quote from: SLURPEE;1361648why am I just learning these things now

I wiki'd "baroque" and it's one of the coolest fucking things I've ever seen



every art teacher I've ever had has made me hate art (6 hour documentary about andy warhol hello) and it's becoming progressively more and more clear that they were merely horrible teachers
because this shit is interesting on its own.
Yeah I used to like art history a lot more when we were discussing the renaissance before moving on to modern UGLY SHIT.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Flounderpa on July 13, 2008, 04:20:40 AM
Quote from: HeinekenClock;1361757Yeah I used to like art history a lot more when we were discussing the renaissance before moving on to modern UGLY SHIT.
Impressionism was Awesome:mad:
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Bigglesnoots on July 13, 2008, 04:25:09 AM
Quote from: HazardClock;1361759Impressionism was Awesome:mad:
IS awesome :grumpy:



:3
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: AnimeClock on July 13, 2008, 04:50:01 AM
I just saw Anamorph, this independent film where Willem Dafoe follows a serial killer who leaves his victim in crazy anamorphic optical illusions that can only be seen from one angle. its a way cool style
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: HeinekenClock on July 13, 2008, 06:51:17 AM
Quote from: HazardClock;1361759Impressionism was Awesome:mad:
Some modern art is good, you can never say that something as a whole sucks. It's just that a whole lot of modern art is made by pretentious faggots that think they're hot shit while all they do is make simple stuff that everything thinks it's great, just because three people did something that was roughly the same (but better).

Fuck bauhaus, fuck rietveld, fuck modern sculpting (three metal bars welded together: art? I could make better art with dickbleeds),  though that one style (damn me I forgot the fucking name) was really awesome. It involved painting what you saw but "bleeding" objects into another, for instance a table with a newspaper on it, the letters of the newspaper running through the paper onto the table and the paper partially wood-textured.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: HeinekenClock on July 13, 2008, 06:54:33 AM
Fuck yer it was cubism:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afbeelding:Juan_Gris_002.jpg
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Bigglesnoots on July 13, 2008, 06:56:22 AM
Quote from: HeinekenClock;1361793Fuck yer it was cubism:

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afbeelding:Juan_Gris_002.jpg
anything can be considered cubism as long as it has squares / cubes in them!
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: HeinekenClock on July 13, 2008, 05:24:31 PM
Quote from: Maddox;1361794anything can be considered cubism as long as it has squares / cubes in them!
No actually.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Slurpee on July 13, 2008, 05:34:58 PM
Quote from: Maddox;1361794anything can be considered cubism as long as it has squares / cubes in them!
I thought cubism was just when you do the same thing from three different perspectives.


also abstract expressionism is what makes the average person think that modern art is rich pretentious idiots thinking way too hard about dumb scribble scrabbles, because it pretty much is 70% of the time

my art loving friends try to sell me on pollack
but I would totally go to the bathroom on that guy.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: PropagandaClock on July 13, 2008, 06:27:30 PM
The St:Peter's church in rome is beyond epic.
By far the most awesome thing I have yet to seen and I have travelled to all continents and 27 different countries.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: AMPEEEM on July 13, 2008, 06:42:01 PM
Quote from: SLURPEE;1361645(I found out the statue of zeus at olympia doesn't exist anymore like two months ago)

Thats super lame.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: DWARFINATORclock on July 13, 2008, 09:50:02 PM
Because you never asked.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: WarCorrespondentClock on July 14, 2008, 12:52:18 AM
Quote from: SLURPEE;1362124I thought cubism was just when you do the same thing from three different perspectives.
 
 

 
Cubism is when you use inorganic lines for organic shapes.
So straight lines for a human face.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Slurpee on July 14, 2008, 02:10:06 AM
Quote from: WarCorrespondent;1362337Cubism is when you use inorganic lines for organic shapes.
So straight lines for a human face.
no

no, there's no way that's correct.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Bigglesnoots on July 14, 2008, 05:48:02 AM
Quote from: WikiIn cubist artworks, objects are broken up, analyzed, and re-assembled in an abstracted form—instead of depicting objects from one viewpoint, the artist depicts the subject from a multitude of viewpoints to represent the subject in a greater context. Often the surfaces intersect at seemingly random angles, removing a coherent sense of depth. The background and object planes interpenetrate one another to create the shallow ambiguous space, one of cubism's distinct characteristics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubism

That's essentially deforming everything into squares, cubes, rectangles and whatnot.

I was just getting at the fact that what Heineken described in post 20 aren't the characteristics of cubism. They just happen to be contained in a painting that has cubistic approaches too.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Slurpee on July 14, 2008, 05:56:03 AM
Quote from: Maddox;1362404That's essentially deforming everything into squares, cubes, rectangles and whatnot.
no it isn't did you even read what you quoted
Quoteinstead of depicting objects from one viewpoint, the artist depicts the subject from a multitude of viewpoints
I was pretty much right
where does it say anything about squares and cubes.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: HeinekenClock on July 14, 2008, 06:35:31 AM
Quote from: Maddox;1362404http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cubism

That's essentially deforming everything into squares, cubes, rectangles and whatnot.

I was just getting at the fact that what Heineken described in post 20 aren't the characteristics of cubism. They just happen to be contained in a painting that has cubistic approaches too.
"In cubist artworks, objects are broken up, analyzed, and re-assembled in an abstracted form"

That's what I was saying, objects bleeding into each other and what slurpee said having multiple viewpoints.

It doesn't neccissarily have to be broken into cubes and squares, that's just one of the things that happens in a lot of cubist works.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: DigitalLemonClock on July 14, 2008, 06:42:22 AM
I advise you buy a good book or something if you're interested instead of measuring your ability to interpet wikipedia
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: GodClock on July 14, 2008, 06:56:08 AM
oh i meant to tell you it was awesome
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: HeinekenClock on July 14, 2008, 07:01:00 AM
Quote from: DigitalLemonClock;1362428I advise you buy a good book or something if you're interested instead of measuring your ability to interpet wikipedia
If I was going to quote any of the books it's sort of hard to translate into english and it's most probably a book neither update or slurpee have so they can quote another paragraph, proving me wrong.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Slurpee on July 14, 2008, 07:13:57 AM
Quote from: DigitalLemonClock;1362428I advise you buy a good book or something if you're interested instead of measuring your ability to interpet wikipedia
it would be cool if somebody who knows what they're talking about would just tell me instead.

I seriously doubt anything as much as a high school art history class would leave somebody under-qualified to provide a simple fucking one or two sentence definition of cubism

motherfuckers make it impossible to have a casual interest in something jesus christ
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: HeinekenClock on July 14, 2008, 07:36:42 AM
Quote from: SLURPEE;1362436I seriously doubt anything as much as a high school art history class would leave somebody under-qualified to provide a simple fucking one or two sentence definition of cubism

Art history is actually part of my college course except that I've only had it once a week last year. Maybe next year I'll know some more.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Bigglesnoots on July 14, 2008, 08:15:40 AM
Quote from: SLURPEE;1362405no it isn't did you even read what you quoted
oh no look I didn't I just took a piece of text at random and pasted it in here :rolleyes:
Quote from: SLURPEE;1362405I was pretty much right
I didn't say you were wrong

Quote from: SLURPEE;1362405where does it say anything about squares and cubes.
Quote from: HeinekenClock;1362425"In cubist artworks, objects are broken up, analyzed, and re-assembled in an abstracted form"
The maximum dimensions of "space" is a cube.
Whenever we look at an object, it's enclosed by squares and/or rectangles to comprise the object within a minimum of room, a stretched out cube, if you will.
When the cubist artist starts to break up the object and starts rearranging them, flattening them or placing them in a different perspective, he also deforms, cuts up and alters the squares and/or rectangels surrounding those pieces of objects, and in essence, rearranges them too on his canvas. The artist could draw the stretched out cubes around every piece of object when he's finished placing those pieces (which is pictured most of the time in paintings. But just because of the view on art -  if you'll excuse the choice of words - by the cubist artists, the perspective is lost).


Quote from: HeinekenClock;1362425That's what I was saying, objects bleeding into each other
I'm sorry but "bleeding into eachother" really doesn't sound like " objects are broken up, analyzed, and re-assembled in an abstracted form"
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: HeinekenClock on July 14, 2008, 08:22:07 AM
Quote from: Maddox;1362465I'm sorry but "bleeding into eachother" really doesn't sound like " objects are broken up, analyzed, and re-assembled in an abstracted form"

These are objects broken up, analyzed and re-assembled in an abstracted form

These are objects that look like they're bleeding into each other
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Bigglesnoots on July 14, 2008, 08:50:11 AM
Quote from: HeinekenClock;1362469These are objects broken up, analyzed and re-assembled in an abstracted form

These are objects that look like they're bleeding into each other
HeinekenClock

A complete idiot



It's the other way around
just like all wheels are round, but not all round things are wheels.

that image just happens to have rearranged objects bleeding into eachother, but like I said, that's not a characteristic of cubism, per se.
Title: goddamnit why didn't anybody tell me how awesome sant'ignazio is?
Post by: Slurpee on July 14, 2008, 08:53:00 AM
you know all I really ask is a little brevity, and some information from people who know what they're talking about I really don't need huge piles of bullshit covering up smaller ones just because you guys don't know how to have a simple fucking discussion not exacerbate into a contest for who can make the biggest pile of bullshit

if you don't know what you're talking about you could at least be a cool dude like GodClock no you got to try to be full of the most bullshit so everybody will be impressed with you

UPDATE NICE COMPLETE FAILURE TO EXPLAIN HOW YOU DEDUCED THIS:
QuoteThat's essentially deforming everything into squares, cubes, rectangles and whatnot.
FROM THIS:
QuoteIn cubist artworks, objects are broken up, analyzed, and re-assembled in an abstracted form—instead of depicting objects from one viewpoint, the artist depicts the subject from a multitude of viewpoints to represent the subject in a greater context. Often the surfaces intersect at seemingly random angles, removing a coherent sense of depth. The background and object planes interpenetrate one another to create the shallow ambiguous space, one of cubism's distinct characteristics.


I'll just ask my friend paul and take his word as gospel

jesus fucking christ. die, thread.