Clock Crew

Arts & Leisure => Entertainment => Topic farted by: Slurpee on January 21, 2009, 05:50:24 PM

Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Slurpee on January 21, 2009, 05:50:24 PM
I'm probably the only one here that's excited about this movie, yes?
No matter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i30fd5ce301fd7727c77c6830dcdbc3d6

Photo collage from Radiomaru (http://www.radiomaru.com/), Bryan Lee O'Malley's site thingy:
(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg520.imageshack.us%2Fimg520%2F5392%2F32121065792e1289036djh7.jpg&hash=86034c184d049a580df1317202a6ebf6df6d23f2)(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg520.imageshack.us%2Fimg520%2F9454%2F32129517584f86064352zs4.jpg&hash=f255120905747eec35d1d87f47768d8e4ef48770)
Left to right: Brendan Routh (Superman =D), Brie Larson, Mae Whitman, Anna Kendrick, Mark Webber, Johnny Simmons, and Alison Pill

That's Todd Ingram, Envy Adams, Roxanne Richter, Stacy Pilgrim, Stephen Stills, Young Neil, and Kim Pine

(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg407.imageshack.us%2Fimg407%2F9730%2Fchrisevanslae8.jpg&hash=2c71e64687ce381bb48a61bccc32e6da51379d7c)
Sexy, sexy Chris Evans, who you probably know as the douchebag version of Johnny Storm from the Fantastic Four movies, is playing Lucas Lee, the guy Scott beat uneventfully in the second book.

(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg299.imageshack.us%2Fimg299%2F5388%2F3209286491f2e2f57b00oli3.jpg&hash=7b03fe2151cb2db6bae568f81ff7ff38d5638890)
Kieran Culkin, Macaulay Culkin's similar looking brother, played the titular character of Igby Goes Down, if any of you've seen that, and was cast as Wallace Wells.

(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg150.imageshack.us%2Fimg150%2F1695%2Fmichaelceraiy6.jpg&hash=c5d8a08d9d6027b1abe51f3356ca46410b447445)
Ubiquitous lovable dork Michael Cera was cast as the eponymous Scott Plgrim

(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg104.imageshack.us%2Fimg104%2F1759%2Fmaryelizabethwinsteadimyf4.jpg&hash=7064bd2481f93e88f637c6429f8fe92ee6e68ce4)
And the surprisingly hot (http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/2637/sexypixiemaryelizabethwhp6.jpg) Mary Elizabeth Winstead is to play Ramona Flowers.




gaaawwwwwwd I hope this movie turns out good.
There's, what, about 15-20 minutes available for each volume at best? And Cera's never played anybody as awesome as Scott.
But I've liked every Edgar Wright movie I've seen so far, and most Michael Cera things, and the whole of the comic series thus far, so here's hoping.

The cast mostly looks the part, I think, if not necessarily in their glamour shots. The kid they got for Young Neil, particularly.

You can see good comparison shots in this horrendous blog:
http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/31588339.html
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: TequilaClock on January 21, 2009, 05:55:27 PM
Fuck yeah at Mark Webber.
 
I'm watching the shit out of this
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Topcatyo on January 21, 2009, 06:11:46 PM
Now, I haven't read Scott Pilgrim yet (I very much would like to), so, forgive my ignorance when asking this:
Is George Michael going to be fighting against Ann Veal or is she just some character?
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Slurpee on January 21, 2009, 06:17:20 PM
that's kind of a minor spoiler from volume 4. though, I guess telling you that pretty much makes answer obvious and spoils things anyway.

it turns out that one of the 7 evil exes Scott has to fight to date Ramona is a girl. Scott doesn't hit girls, though! drama!

so, short answer yes. look forward to an arrested development sword-fight reunion.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Biblo on January 21, 2009, 06:31:15 PM
it's so hard to tell what to think
but whatever about good or bad adaptation, being edgar wright, i'm sure this will be a great film either way
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: SnakeClock on January 21, 2009, 06:39:49 PM
Hey, I'm excited about a Scott Pilgrim movie!

Michael Cena's a dynamite choice for the lead! I just hope he won't be too much of a wuss. :p
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Maltese on January 21, 2009, 06:45:30 PM
FUCK YES
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Topcatyo on January 21, 2009, 06:47:14 PM
Quote from: Slurpee;1502644that's kind of a minor spoiler from volume 4. though, I guess telling you that pretty much makes answer obvious and spoils things anyway.

it turns out that one of the 7 evil exes Scott has to fight to date Ramona is a girl. Scott doesn't hit girls, though! drama!

so, short answer yes. look forward to an arrested development sword-fight reunion.
I kinda figured.  Thanks for telling me, though.
Quote from: Hogarth Hughes;1502656Hey, I'm excited about a Scott Pilgrim movie!

Michael Cena's a dynamite choice for the lead! I just hope he won't be too much of a wuss. :p
I would love to see Michael Cera break out of the awkward kid role he's been so far.  Not sure about Nick and Norah (don't care), but yeah.
It'd be really surprising and strange to see him suddenly get into a violent fistfight with someone.  I'm taking a guess that the fights in Scott Pilgrim are really over-the-top and all that, but it's close.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: SnakeClock on January 21, 2009, 09:10:29 PM
Quote from: Homer Sexual;1502662I'm taking a guess that the fights in Scott Pilgrim are really over-the-top and all that, but it's close.

They're not so much over the top as off to the side, if you get my meaning. :cool:

I mean, in Volume 2, he beats one of the guys by getting him to skateboard down a steep rail until he goes so fast that he explodes.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Maltese on January 21, 2009, 09:55:32 PM
Quote from: Hogarth Hughes;1502752They're not so much over the top as off to the side, if you get my meaning. :cool:

I mean, in Volume 2, he beats one of the guys by getting him to skateboard down a steep rail until he goes so fast that he explodes.

scott pilgrim is essentially a superhero, man.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: SnakeClock on January 21, 2009, 10:27:25 PM
Quote from: Looking For A Good Fuck;1502800scott pilgrim is essentially a superhero, man.

More of a video game hero. I mean, hell, in Volume 3 he got a 1-up.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Maltese on January 21, 2009, 10:40:14 PM
Quote from: Hogarth Hughes;1502862More of a video game hero. I mean, hell, in Volume 3 he got a 1-up.

yeah he did, he also levels up in volume 4
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: SnakeClock on January 21, 2009, 10:41:02 PM
Quote from: Looking For A Good Fuck;1502888yeah he did, he also levels up in volume 4

You shouldn't have censored the "Volume 4" part; I haven't read it yet. :jerk:
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Maltese on January 21, 2009, 10:42:45 PM
Quote from: Hogarth Hughes;1502890You shouldn't have censored the "Volume 4" part; I haven't read it yet. :jerk:

sorry, it's only a small part of the story anyway, like 1 panel in 1 page
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Topcatyo on January 21, 2009, 11:50:09 PM
I'm going to choose to not read these spoiler tags.  I want to be surprised by the book when I read it.
Damn, man, I gotta start saving my money.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: SnakeClock on January 22, 2009, 12:14:44 AM
Quote from: Homer Sexual;1502967I'm going to choose to not read these spoiler tags.  I want to be surprised by the book when I read it.
Damn, man, I gotta start saving my money.

At least you know you've got a lot to look forward to. ;)
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Topcatyo on January 22, 2009, 12:22:04 AM
Quote from: Hogarth Hughes;1502986At least you know you've got a lot to look forward to. ;)
Yups :)
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: RomanClock on January 22, 2009, 12:50:11 AM
It would be nice if I had some context, I've never heard of basically anything here so maybe some IMDB links might help, the only thing I found was Scot P v The World and not much other info...
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Slurpee on January 22, 2009, 03:59:02 AM
Quote from: RomanClock;1503014It would be nice if I had some context, I've never heard of basically anything here so maybe some IMDB links might help, the only thing I found was Scot P v The World and not much other info...
Scott Pilgrim is an awesome indy comic book series from Canada that's being adapted into a movie, directed by Edgar Wright, who also directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

There isn't a lot of information on the movie, outside of what you've probably found already, but you can mostly learn about the comics without reading them here:
http://www.scottpilgrim.com/

The short of it is it's a contemporary, hipster take on growing up (in the adolescent to adult sense) buried amongst copious video game references, and a surreal, sometimes cartoonish existence, with the odd slice-of-life moment mixed in.

There are previews here:
http://www.scottpilgrim.com/index.php?id=previews
So you can see if they're your thing. (Which they might not be- You seem kinda square, no offense.)
Oh, and the first volume doesn't have much in common, thematically, with the rest of the books, until like the last maybe 20 or so pages. It's a good read in its own right, but a lot of people got mad about how much it changes.

If you want to buy them, to read them, technically they should be somewhere in the graphic novel section of most major bookstores, but I've only ever seen at the most literally 1 copy of 1 book in any given Borders or Barnes & Noble, so I'd go with Amazon, just for simplicity's sake.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: ActionClock on January 22, 2009, 09:18:05 AM
Hmm, never heard of this, interesting.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Slurpee on January 08, 2010, 04:23:17 PM
bump
http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/01/06/first-official-photos-edgar-wrights-scott-pilgrim-vs-the-world/
(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.myfrogbag.com%2Fna2oau%2Fzz14f357dc-550x366.jpg&hash=2bc662def0ee8becb727d868a974df30659908ad)

final battle??
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: GearBoxClock on January 08, 2010, 04:45:27 PM
Scott Pilgrim is my favorite comic series
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: AnkhClock on January 08, 2010, 04:53:11 PM
Dammit I've only bought the first book and I really like it but I haven't had time to go out and get the others. Hopefully I can do it when I'm back in Portland, I got a gift card to Powell's.

Also I wanna see this movie (after I read the books).
Which books is the movie based off of?
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: SnakeClock on January 08, 2010, 05:00:52 PM
Quote from: AnkhClock;1714640Which books is the movie based off of?

The movie is called "Scott Pilgrim VS The World", so presumably the first and second ones.

I've read the series up to book four, but it seems a bit like it's starting to slide.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Slurpee on January 08, 2010, 05:01:02 PM
Quote from: AnkhClock;1714640Dammit I've only bought the first book and I really like it but I haven't had time to go out and get the others. Hopefully I can do it when I'm back in Portland, I got a gift card to Powell's.

Also I wanna see this movie (after I read the books).
Which books is the movie based off of?
allah dem

loosely, though. like, hellboy loosely.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: AnkhClock on January 08, 2010, 05:02:30 PM
Quote from: Slurpee;1714642allah dem

loosely, though. like, hellboy loosely.

But I thought he wasn't finished with the series yet, doesn't he have one more book to go?

Hellboy was a good movie though.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: SnakeClock on January 08, 2010, 05:16:59 PM
UbiSoft Montreal is producing a Scott Pilgrim game to coincide with the film's release. Scott is really going places!
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Topcatyo on January 08, 2010, 05:24:17 PM
I only ever managed to get the second book so far, so I haven't really read any of the series yet...
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: GearBoxClock on January 08, 2010, 05:28:53 PM
I've read all of them so far. They're really great.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Biblo on January 08, 2010, 05:43:32 PM
I love the books and I think the film looks great!
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Slurpee on January 08, 2010, 05:46:11 PM
Quote from: AnkhClock;1714643But I thought he wasn't finished with the series yet, doesn't he have one more book to go?
yeah, but o'malley worked closely with wright and the film makers in some respects.
Quote from: AnkhClock;1714643Hellboy was a good movie though.
yes, it was. the point is it deviated form the source material, not that it was bad.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: TequilaClock on January 08, 2010, 10:52:39 PM
Quote from: Tempo;1714647UbiSoft Montreal is producing a Scott Pilgrim game to coincide with the film's release. Scott is really going places!

i won't expect anything above average from Ubisoft Montreal. They need to do something really impressive and I eat my words.

And I thought Assassin's Creed was an "eh-ok" game.


Of course, I will welcome it as long as Lee O'Malley has anything to do with the direction.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: SnakeClock on January 08, 2010, 11:05:17 PM
Quote from: Zorak;1714751i won't expect anything above average from Ubisoft Montreal. They need to do something really impressive and I eat my words.

And I thought Assassin's Creed was an "eh-ok" game.

(It's a fairly significant improvement)

Quote from: Zorak;1714751Of course, I will welcome it as long as Lee O'Malley has anything to do with the direction.

He hasn't, but Slurpee says that him and Edgar Wright have been working together in an unofficial capacity.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: TequilaClock on January 08, 2010, 11:07:54 PM
Ok i will give Sands of Time a nod
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Topcatyo on January 08, 2010, 11:38:19 PM
Quote from: Tempo;1714759
This one does not help their case.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Asshatclock on January 11, 2010, 03:20:43 AM
I read two of them, will definatly watch.
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Slurpee on January 23, 2010, 07:13:45 AM
for those of you who don't follow things and stuff

the Scott Pilgrim Trailer (http://twitpic.com/x7woj) is up

also a couple amateur reviews on aicn which make the movie sound like the most badassed thing in the universe
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43693
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/43695
very spoilery!

here's some choice bits for people who just want to get a feel about it:
Quoteit's like some mash-up of elements from Fight Club, Kill Bill, Speed Racer, Natural Born Killers and a Michael Cera movie

...

a John Hughes movie smashed into The Matrix.

...

Edgar Wright really pushes the genre into whole new areas. This has to be the world's first coming of age/romance/superhero/comic book adaptation/musical/comedy/whatever movie. It has some traces of things you've seen before but not blended together in this way.

...

a mixture of Edgar Wright's usual frenetic camerawork with some unbelievably slick transitions

...

Wright did some incredibly unique things to capture the spirit of a comic book

...

I know it doesn't come out until August 17th, but what they have right now (other than some rough audio patches and a lot of unfinished effects) is pretty damn remarkable. Edgar Wright has once again knocked it out of the park. I don't know how commercial this film can be, due to it's subject matter (it's basically for nerds only, my wife liked it, but not nearly as much as I did), but Goddamnit it's awesome.

guess who's still completely stoked about this
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Biblo on January 23, 2010, 07:18:49 AM
Quote from: Slurpee;1720544the Scott Pilgrim Trailer is up

You mother fucker


Also, I hate AICN so much!
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Slurpee on January 23, 2010, 07:27:26 AM
hey, me too! :lo5:
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Biblo on January 23, 2010, 07:42:01 AM
Quote from: Slurpee;1720549hey, me too! :lo5:

You're alright.... y'know that... you're alright
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: miracle fruit on January 23, 2010, 10:46:46 AM
michael cera plays michael cera in yet another movie
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: TapedeckClock on January 23, 2010, 12:08:52 PM
(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg104.imageshack.us%2Fimg104%2F1759%2Fmaryelizabethwinsteadimyf4.jpg&hash=7064bd2481f93e88f637c6429f8fe92ee6e68ce4)
(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fz.about.com%2Fd%2Fkidsmusic%2F1%2F0%2Fi%2F3%2FbeiBVHE051306-0035.jpg&hash=31b709cfeaf39e8c5dfbcbdce56327a98ece2c4e)
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: Poltergeist on January 23, 2010, 12:24:01 PM
Quote from: miralcefrit;1720606michael cera plays michael cera in yet another movie

Who else are they going to get to play him?
Title: Scott Pilgrim casting complete. Michael Cera to fight Superman and The Human Torch
Post by: TequilaClock on January 23, 2010, 02:50:07 PM
Quote from: Slurpee;1720544the Scott Pilgrim Trailer is up
hahahaha fuck