Clock Crew

Arts & Leisure => Gaming & Technology => Topic farted by: SoBe Clock on January 25, 2009, 03:24:20 PM

Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SoBe Clock on January 25, 2009, 03:24:20 PM
I just played the demo and it seems like everything a sonic game should have been all along. Speedy, relatively linear gameplay, and simple.

Is there something bad about it that the demo isn't showing me? Because if the whole game is like the demo, I'll probably buy it.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: CaramelAppleClock on January 25, 2009, 03:45:07 PM
Night time levels kinda suck.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on January 25, 2009, 03:54:32 PM
If they replaced the werehog with Knuckles and called it "Sonic and Knuckles 2" and revamped those levels it could be the greatest game ever.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: Flounderpa on January 25, 2009, 03:57:16 PM
Quote from: FloundermanClock;1506175If they replaced the werehog with Knuckles and called it "Sonic and Knuckles 2" and revamped those levels it could be the greatest game ever.
:tophat: I agree with that my good sir
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SoBe Clock on January 25, 2009, 04:00:58 PM
Okay so what are the nighttime levels like then?

EDIT: I should say that I liked the original 3 Sonic the Hedgehogs, Sonic Advance 1&2,  Sonic CD, and Sonic Adventure 1&2.

Also Sonic and the Secret Rings wasn't too bad.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: Flounderpa on January 25, 2009, 04:05:58 PM
Quote from: William Murderface;1506182Also Sonic and the Secret Rings wasn't too bad.
but it didn't had the same quality of the past games, it lost the flavor
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SnakeClock on January 25, 2009, 04:07:09 PM
Demos are rarely as good as the full game. The gameplay is adequate (at least on the Wii version I played), but the story and progression is aggressively stupid.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: TabascoClock on January 25, 2009, 04:09:07 PM
Also you have to walk around in a city for hours and talk to people who usually just bitch and moan about their lives and say nothing important.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SoBe Clock on January 25, 2009, 04:10:59 PM
Quote from: Hogarth Hughes;1506189Demos are rarely as good as the full game. The gameplay is adequate (at least on the Wii version I played), but the story and progression is aggressively stupid.

Quote from: TabascoClock;1506190Also you have to walk around in a city for hours and talk to people who usually just bitch and moan about their lives and say nothing important.

Hmmm, If this is true, I'll probably just rent it and try it out.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on January 25, 2009, 04:11:49 PM
Quote from: William Murderface;1506182Okay so what are the nighttime levels like then?
slow placed generic button mashing beat em up

Quote from: William Murderface;1506182Sonic CD

I don't see the big deal bout Sonic CD, people talk like it's the greatest game in the series.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SoBe Clock on January 25, 2009, 04:14:28 PM
Quote from: FloundermanClock;1506194slow placed generic button mashing beat em up



I don't see the big deal bout Sonic CD, people talk like it's the greatest game in the series.

I wouldn't say its the best. It's just really good.

EDIT: Also I like beat 'em ups so I might not have a problem with the nighttime levels.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: Maltese on January 25, 2009, 04:16:56 PM
Yahtzee says the game sucks, Yahtzee's words are always truth, therefore the game sucks.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SoBe Clock on January 25, 2009, 04:19:04 PM
Quote from: Looking For A Good Fuck;1506199Yahtzee says the game sucks, Yahtzee's words are always truth, therefore the game sucks.

Yahtzee was completely wrong about GTA4, SSBB, and EVE Online, so I can't always trust him. Plus I heard later, on Game Damage, he admitted that he had fun with the daytime levels of the game.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: Maltese on January 25, 2009, 04:19:47 PM
Quote from: William Murderface;1506202Yahtzee was completely wrong about GTA4, SSBB, and EVE Online, so I can't always trust him. Plus I heard later, on Game Damage, he admitted that he had fun with the daytime levels of the game.

Yahtzee's words are truth, you disagree with Yahtzee, therefore, You are wrong.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SoBe Clock on January 25, 2009, 04:20:56 PM
Quote from: Looking For A Good Fuck;1506203Yahtzee's words are truth, you disagree with Yahtzee, therefore, You are wrong.

Oh OK.

Good luck not having your own opinions then.


EDIT: I like Yahtzee and usually agree with him. I'm just saying he's been wrong a few times.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: TabascoClock on January 25, 2009, 04:24:38 PM
I admit the daytime levels are fun, but they're about only 30% of the game.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: Maltese on January 25, 2009, 04:25:27 PM
Quote from: William Murderface;1506206Oh OK.

Good luck not having your own opinions then.


EDIT: I like Yahtzee and usually agree with him. I'm just saying he's been wrong a few times.

To be honest, my agreement with yahtzee just seems strange to me, all of my opinions are my own, and yahtzee just shares them, it's odd
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SnakeClock on January 25, 2009, 04:42:46 PM
And you have to rescue a guy named Professor Pickle.



Professor

FUCKING

Pickle.

:facepalm:
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: Kombucha on January 25, 2009, 04:45:32 PM
Quote from: Hogarth Hughes;1506229And you have to rescue a guy named Professor Pickle.



Professor

FUCKING

Pickle.

:facepalm:
That's a good thing, not a bad thing.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SnakeClock on January 25, 2009, 04:53:03 PM
Quote from: Mat;1506230That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

And he keeps whining to you about a sandwich.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: Slash on January 25, 2009, 04:55:43 PM
Quote from: Hogarth Hughes;1506238And he keeps whining to you about a sandwich.

That's because he thinks you're his bitch.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SnakeClock on January 25, 2009, 04:58:22 PM
Quote from: Obroxious Groovebag;1506239That's because he thinks you're his bitch.

Well you do go to one continent for a pointless cut scene to rescue him, then you go back to the other continent for another stupid cutscene, then you go back to the continent YOU WERE JUST ON for a cutscene and then FINALLY you get to play a level.

At that point, I shut the game off.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on January 25, 2009, 04:59:10 PM
Sadly this was originally "Sonic Adventure 3".
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: Poltergeist on January 25, 2009, 05:23:48 PM
Let's get amazing music, beautiful graphics, fun gameplay and unique atmosphere!


.
.
.









for half the game
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: iced tea clock on January 25, 2009, 05:32:41 PM
Quote from: Looking For A Good Fuck;1506199Yahtzee says the game sucks, Yahtzee's words are always truth, therefore the game sucks.

Well thank god, that the concept of Zero Punctuation isn't "just pointing out all of the bad sides of successful games while leaving out most of the good stuff, and sometimes praising overlooked games", but actual founded pro-vs-contra reviewing.

I like his show though. But you can't take his reviews as the sole source of information about a game, since they are mostly very onesided.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SnakeClock on January 25, 2009, 05:32:47 PM
Quote from: Poltergeisty;1506258Let's get amazing music, mooi graphics, fun gameplay and unique atmosphere!


.
.
.









for half the game

That's the half that ripped off Super Mario Galaxy. :)
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: SoBe Clock on January 25, 2009, 10:03:26 PM
Alright, so I definitely won't be buying it right away. I'll give it a rental and see how it is.

Thanks for the help guys.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: Topcatyo on January 25, 2009, 10:05:26 PM
We played a bit at a friend's house.
Let me rate the categories of gameplay I played before we quit because we wanted to have fun.

Story and cutscenes and characters: Shit
Sonic daytime levels: Good
Walk around city talking to people: Shit
Clunky, poorly controlled and not at all fun nighttime levels: Shit

That's all we got to.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: Asshatclock on January 26, 2009, 05:44:57 AM
How can anyone like the daytime levels as well ?
I played the demo as well, and I just ran forward really fast, that's it, it looked nice, and there were 2 or 3 obstacles, but it was just running really fast on one path, I went too fast and when it shifts to 3D I get sick from everything coming at me so quick.

Sonic should be 2D all the time, with non linear routes to get to the end, like in sonic 2, 3, knuckles, rush.
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: poringclock on January 26, 2009, 05:41:33 PM
The only fun part of the game is the demo
Title: So What's so bad about Sonic Unleashed?
Post by: TequilaClock on January 26, 2009, 06:09:17 PM
Quote from: Hogarth Hughes;1506238And he keeps whining to you about a sandwich.
I like when characters have silly shenanigans like that...
 
However I still haven't played it to see how annoying it is.