hey me and a few friends are starting an experimental group and I'd like some good refrence material for inspiration. Anything similar to, like, The Residents or Renaldo and The Loaf would be great.
Doesn't experimental mean experimenting? As in, you should be relying more on your own creativity than on using other bands as a frame of reference?
Quote from: Silly Putty Clock;1715875Doesn't experimental mean experimenting? As in, you should be relying more on your own creativity than on using other bands as a frame of reference?
but from where does creativity come? Everyone needs influences.
"those who don't want to imitate anything, produce nothing." -Salvador Dali
Quote from: Franz;1715882but from where does creativity come? Everyone needs influences.
"those who don't want to imitate anything, produce nothing." -Salvador Dali
grumblegrumble
here are a few bands I used to be into back when I figured it was SUPER-COOL to be into obscure experimental bands:
The Jesus Lizard[U2]7wilcAlAal8[/U2]
Drive Like Jehu[U2]h3JEkDShKoc[/U2]
Hella[U2]3Ydh2kpG7cU[/U2]
Battles[U2]IpGp-22t0lU[/U2]
I actually still kinda like the Jesus Lizard, here's another song by them:
[U2]-q30SZmjRRw[/U2]
thanks bro! Good bands.
I actually already have a lot of drive like jehu, but the rest of those are new to me.
Quote from: Franz;1715891thanks bro! Good bands.
I actually already have a lot of drive like jehu, but the rest of those are new to me.
No problem. Also, at the time, I wanted to get into Nomeansno and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, but I couldn't find any songs by either on Limewire(which should tell you about how long ago this was). You might want to check them out.
damn good bands sillyputty
anyway i'm not entirely sure what you mean so i'll just post some videos for a few bands i can think of that are tentatively related to some of the ones in this thread (not really though but whatever)
Secret Chiefs 3
[U2]kKGcXGvqSnQ[/U2]
[U2]6fcXP0r8ORQ[/U2]
Swans
[U2]nI5ua3SOKrY[/U2]
[U2]FlWCWFKTmFo[/U2]
OOIOO
[U2]D9l_2MDdtKU[/U2]
Mr. Bungle
[U2]T1uHqA3oMRA[/U2]
Rapeman/Big Black/Shellac/etc.
[U2]fqxPcUM__4k[/U2]
[U2]jUgheRz9hPQ[/U2]
[U2]vAf1g_geJOA[/U2]
Milton Babbitt
[U2]6Lf7pSTvSSY[/U2]
John Cage
[U2]dP2Pr9Mu8D4[/U2]
"My music is not modern, it is merely badly played." - Schoenberg
Einsturzende Neubauten - Tanz Debil
[U2]vjYXuBbmr5s[/U2]
Throbbing Gristle - Hamburger Lady
[U2]lPrTUC7BDn4[/U2]
Mr Bungle - None of them Knew they were Robots
[U2]VRvjTNUEBhI[/U2]
Coil - The Snow
[U2]oOUq7YZYUK8[/U2]
Foetus - Heuldoch 7B
[U2]yrXvIq8p1EE[/U2]
Coil:
[u2]Da5FIf77BJ4[/u2]
[u2]eo3TUtRnZi4[/u2]
Einstürzende Neubauten:
[u2]NuBYmqK2w48[/u2]
[u2]TUTECmYAEGE[/u2]
Faust:
[u2]jjfT2U5ebvc[/u2]
Art of Noise:
[u2]-sFK0-lcjGU[/u2]
I really need to get into Faust.
yeah i was gonna suggest coil but i forgot
thanks evrabody. Can't say I dislike any of these bands- especially Mr. Bungle. I've got afew of their records and a tshirt laying around somewhere
Listen to me and listen to me good.
Disco Volante by Mr.Bungle
Troutmask Replica by Captain Beefheart
and it's not avant garde, but required listening for your field of music
Carl Stalling Collection, anything
Pinkly Smooth. Words can't describe. Queen meets Danny Elfman meets metal. The late great James 'Rev' Sullivan (better known for A7X) was their singer before passing away last month.
http://www.myspace.com/pinklysmooth
Quote from: Franz;1715882but from where does creativity come? Everyone needs influences.
"those who don't want to imitate anything, produce nothing." -Salvador Dali
There is no royal road to originality. Being influenced and pushing away from your influences are both parts of it. Just someone original saying something doesn't make it right. All the quotes in the world won't make you that person. Paul Erdős got his ideas from doing a bunch of meth, that does not make meth the answer.
A lot of realizing creativity is knowing how far you can go within apparently tight constraints. So here is some rock:
KUKL
[u2]kz-rhumzdyc[/u2]
Attic Ted
[u2]vwqep4t1dew[/u2]
Nina Hagen
[u2]lm83za1a1ww[/u2]
Bauhaus
[u2]3dk-uyuypt0[/u2]
The Flying Lizards
[u2]autxfgxtshm[/u2]
The Pop Group
[u2]cjbpr5l2wz4[/u2]
The Birthday Party
[u2]kvls4bwtuqw[/u2]
Þeyr
[u2]e3jkezjnzlg[/u2]
Gaseneta
[u2]gmnmzrpxroa[/u2]
Princess Tinymeat
[u2]jwjgwuapwny[/u2]
P-MODEL
[u2]jcmqgzs2byu[/u2]
Industrial:
Throbbing Gristle
[u2]y8klw9trvtq[/u2]
Factrix
[u2]lbpsrxyadrm[/u2]
D.A.F.
[u2]xwajxv070oy[/u2]
SPK
[u2]qib_3po9g9c[/u2]
Noise:
hanatarash[u2]lmmfoiwiwvk[/u2]
Whitehouse (bit of a weak link)
[u2]xiphtsbhqwk[/u2]
Other:
Taco
[u2]kjivodg4tky[/u2]
Totsuzen Dan Ball
[u2]swtfie5xbfo[/u2]
Suicide
[u2]7wqompakgcg[/u2]
Béla Bartók
[u2]szc8cs9m-ew[/u2]
I could go on forever.
Sunn 0))) is as avant-garde as it gets
I think it is safe to say that The Mars Volta would fall within this.
[U2]vzRFlXbq-cY[/U2]
[U2]LPTuWLug3PA[/U2]
[U2]j4uJFGDdcBo[/U2]
Boris, Mertzbow
Oh and Lady gaga
Quote from: Fireman;1719419I think it is safe to say that The Mars Volta would fall within this.
Not really. The Mars Volta is basically some emo sacred cows (the post-hardcore kind, not the My Chemical Romance kind) doing prog and being "weird."
Also DalÃ's Car:
[u2]bp-qt5gRqA4[/u2]
[u2]c8bVyFh6kb0[/u2]
All this and no talk of Fantomas? Their album Suspended Animation is like most avant-garde and most awesome thing ever.
Also, I saw LokiClock's post that originally included Cutty Ranks and I was like "ohohoho"
Quote from: Brak's Mom;1720272All this and no talk of Fantomas? Their album Suspended Animation is like most avant-garde and most awesome thing ever.
I wouldn't know of anything on the metal end, so don't blame me.
QuoteAlso, I saw LokiClock's post that originally included Cutty Ranks and I was like "ohohoho"
Aye, did you introduce me to him. But at that point I'm just listing good music, not experimental music. And while my original point was diverse influences, it's kind of reaching.
fantomas is like the shellac of mike patton projects because its the one hes done the most recently but no one gives a fuck about it
No one mentioned Kayo Dot? Cause I just discovered Kayo Dot:
[u2]r-BaDagmtcA[/u2]
Quote from: Scalppussyhello;1719817Not really. The Mars Volta is basically some emo sacred cows (the post-hardcore kind, not the My Chemical Romance kind) doing prog and being "weird."
what
Quote from: SilverCherryClock;1720430fantomas is like the shellac of mike patton projects because its the one hes done the most recently but no one gives a fuck about it
Their last album was one of my favs evar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xtEy951Dic
This thread has excellent taste in music.
Xiu Xiu
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life
Old school Pink Floyd FTW
Pow R Toc H
[u2]rZ54JVSLYFc[/u2]
Saucerful of Secrets part 1
[U2]V4GF6sH_OLk[/U2]
Saucerful of Secrets part 2
[U2]qC4rdpiLToE&[/U2]
Quote from: Zooks;1724768This thread has excellent taste in music.
Xiu Xiu
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
Fucked Up - The Chemistry of Common Life
Xiu Xiu is mad cool
also this is probably the most impressed ive been with cc's music taste
PS rock some Dismemberment Plan
[U2]iMN0u6s7WCA[/U2]
Darth Vegas
[FLASH]http://files.myfrogbag.com/bub4qp/MUSICSIG_MINCY.swf[/FLASH]