Clock Crew

Arts & Leisure => Entertainment => Topic farted by: AmberArachnidClock on February 01, 2010, 07:29:15 PM

Title: Film Club Presents: Mulholland Drive (dir. David Lynch 2001)
Post by: AmberArachnidClock on February 01, 2010, 07:29:15 PM
Okay this week is my favorite movie of all time and that would be Mulholland Drive. The first time I watched it I loved it, and watched it again the next day. I never do that with movies. Ever. I don't even own DVDs.

Anyway, this movie is a psychological thriller which we seem to have been doing a lot lately but they're my favorite kind of movie so I don't really care.

Discussion Qs:
What the fuck just happened

How are the two main characters played by Naomi Watts (Betty and Diane) connected?

Whats the blue box

Who's the creepy cowboy

How can David Lynch keep us interested in a story where we know barely anything about what's going on

The last question is the most puzzling to me from a storytelling standpoint, because the beginning, middle, and end are so blurry and I was so confused the entire time, but still intrigued, and I still felt the ending was conclusive even though I was still confused

Here's a poster. Look up the trailer if you want, but I would just watch the movie
(https://clockcrew.net/talk/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lesbiansnorthlondon.co.uk%2Fimages%2Fmulhollanddrive.jpg&hash=c295eaf11b28d7283bf303984ccf914f5bd7b57f)
Title: Film Club Presents: Mulholland Drive (dir. David Lynch 2001)
Post by: DWARFINATORclock on February 01, 2010, 10:41:30 PM
How can a conclusive ending leave you confused?
Title: Film Club Presents: Mulholland Drive (dir. David Lynch 2001)
Post by: Kaijuclock on February 01, 2010, 10:51:39 PM
David lynch confuses you on purpose. People watch his movies to go WTF. You should know this man.
Title: Film Club Presents: Mulholland Drive (dir. David Lynch 2001)
Post by: Biblo on February 02, 2010, 12:15:10 PM
Possibly my favourite film of all time.

How I see it is:

Up until Betty's change into Diane is a dream Diane is having.

Diane was Camilla's lover, but started to suspect that Camilla was cheating on her with the director of her film (and others). Plenty of evidence confirms it and after a while they stop even trying to hide it. This destroys Diane completely. She's such an emotional wreck that she hires a guy to kill Camilla. After he's done the deed she's absolutely racked and distraught with guilt (as you would be) It is around this time that she has the dream which embodies her wishes and fantasies, but ultimately crumbles away because the searing guilt is still heavy on her mind. She awakens and is so distraught with guilt that she ends her own life.

The dream:
In the dream Diane is Betty, a perky, positive girl moving to Hollywood to 'make it'. Camilla becomes 'Rita' and pathetic and frightened amnesiac who relies entirely on Betty to survive. Giving Betty (Diane) the power.
The director who stole her lover is put through hell by the mafia and loses his house and wife in the same day.
The girl who Diane sees with Camilla becomes Camilla and is only given a film role based on mob intimidation rather than talent.
The hitman is a bumbling fool, probably the most comedic scene in the film. I'm thinking about this now and what's coming to mind is that she might be trying to shy away from the horror of it by making this guy completely silly. I'm not entirely sure.
The restaurant where she signs Camilla's life away is a very intense and frightening place.

The ending with the elderly couple chasing her to her room is pretty clear as the guilt finally destroying her.

That's all that I can think of straight off the top of my head. There's so much more. I think of new things every time I watch it or think about it. So much in there.