News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

UN Secretary General Supports Criminalizing Blasphemy

Farted by AlbinoClock, September 24, 2012, 06:50:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buttplug

Quote from: Marlin Clock;1923683Jeez, guys, what is this, .net circa '06?

Some of y'all proselytizing about how you should be a good person and all you're doing in this thread is insulting and in general being negative.

You don't need religion to be moral, additionally you can be an anti-theist and still be a good person.

Slurpee

Quote from: Marlin Clock;1923687Plus he already said he wasn't being serious I guess? Idno, man.
it's just a contrarian thought that I find amusing

ideally when confronted with a challenging philosophical notion, everybody would entertain the idea as it pleases them, see how it fits into (or modifies) their worldview, and file it away. then maybe share their conclusions. yes?
but there I go with the peaceful coexistence of ideas pfffffffft

the thing is there are religious explanations for everything I said or implied (and just a bit of deliberate skewing on my part)
and I already knew some of them when I typed that

I posted it because it's amusing to me, and we're discussing outlawing amusing thoughts like this, because somebody might kill me (or somebody tangentially related to me) because I shared it. that was my way of impishly defying the censorship of critical thinking. but I guess that wasn't obvious. lesson learned. next time I'll continue to talk about how rad Satan is.

AbsintheClock

Marlin Clock

Quote from: Buttplug;1923721You don't need religion to be moral, additionally you can be an anti-theist and still be a good person.
Was never implying someone couldn't. Well, i mean depending on the frame of reference as far as morality goes. General morality, like not being greedy or mean or shit? Yeah. Wasn't implying that.

Btw: Also I believe religious laws have no place in modern governments, so I also am not in favor of any censorship by a long shot, but that there is a type civil morality that also differs from person to person, which causes other problems. It's why I no longer oppose the legalization of same-sex marriage but also still vehemently oppose abortion.

Thor

I think the idea that God is being a straight up antagonist is inaccurate.

The bible isn't a story of "God fucking people up all the time and letting horrible shit happen" so much as it is a story of "God trying to get some dumbass humans to not screw themselves over until he has to take action". The whole idea of free will comes in here; God has made a rule for himself that he will not control the minds of men, so his only option when things get out of hand is to just kill everybody.

A consistent theme in the bible is God making a very clear request/order to humanity. If it is followed everything ends up fine. If it is ignored (which is often the case) he punishes them. And it's usually ignored for idiotic reasons. Adam and Eve had no good reason to eat those apples after being told not to. As Marlin said the pharaoh was warned many times. God sent messengers to plead with the people of Sodom and Gomorrah. When you actually read the bible these folks seem idiotic and unreasonable in their refusal of a being which frequently performed highly visible miracles and they all knew for a fact existed.
Quote from: MafiaMettaurWhat the hell is with that shit you posted? You know what, I'm joining the Locks, just to stop stuff like you!
Quote from: polyhedronclockYou're a fucking clock, what else do you have?
To be fair, you don't have anything. Clocks are just machines that tick.

AbsintheClock

But why create the apple in the first place if you knew it would happen? Would you leave a bottle of bleach out in the open and then tell a toddler not to drink it? Sounds more like an abusive parent to me.

Thor

Quote from: AbsintheClock;1923865But why create the apple in the first place if you knew it would happen? Would you leave a bottle of bleach out in the open and then tell a toddler not to drink it? Sounds more like an abusive parent to me.

This isn't a baby, it's two full grown adults who willfully ignored the direct order of an omnipotent deity. Furthermore, consider that none of Gods angels or other servants ate the apples. Only humans. This is like if you had thousands and thousands of adults in a room with bleach, and then only two ran up and chugged it.

I also don't buy the argument that God, as depicted in the bible, is omniscent. It says that he can see anything, but that doesn't mean that he does see everything at all times. Maybe he has to 'look' at something to see it. Maybe he just wasn't looking at the garden when they were eating sin apples. After all, a short time later he had trouble finding Adam when he was just hiding behind a fucking tree.

It's really hard to make logical arguments in favor of the bible here since it's so inconsistent, and modern practice of the religion is so at odds with what actually appears in the text. I was going to put something in about free will and having a chance for sin in order for it to be real free will, but christian belief on that shit is so inconsistent...
Quote from: MafiaMettaurWhat the hell is with that shit you posted? You know what, I'm joining the Locks, just to stop stuff like you!

AbsintheClock

Seriously even comic books have a better canon than the bible.

Kombucha

Quote from: AbsintheClock;1923929Seriously even comic books have a better canon than the bible.
The Death and Return of Jesus

Slurpee

Quote from: AbsintheClock;1923929Seriously even comic books have a better canon than the bible.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

AbsintheClock

When you sum it up by inconsistency to page rate, the bible is more inconsistent than comic books.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Thor

The specific inconsistency that had my confounded was wither or not angels have free will. I've heard people say before that humans are superior to angels because we have free will and we CHOOSE to be good rather than being forced to by our nature. But that doesn't make sense because several angels became evil, such as the Watchers who corrupted the antediluvians and (depending on your interpretation) Satan.

AbsintheClock

I think they do have free will, but the moment they turn on god they go to hell. Only furthering my case. Humans on the other hand can turn on god all they want as long as they ask for forgiveness before they die.

Topcatyo

Even though I don't believe in god and religion and all that fun stuff I'm certainly not going to go out and proselytize athiesm.  I'll only bother telling people that specifically ask me, and I'm not gonna admonish anyone for being religious (unless they're being a dick about it, or somebody is being overtly heretical).

That being said, here's an infographic and list of every contradiction in the bible:
http://www.project-reason.org/bibleContra_big.pdf
Don't click that if, like, you don't want to read that.  It's cool man

Thor

Quote from: Topcatyo;1924055Even though I don't believe in god and religion and all that fun stuff I'm certainly not going to go out and proselytize athiesm.  I'll only bother telling people that specifically ask me, and I'm not gonna admonish anyone for being religious (unless they're being a dick about it, or somebody is being overtly heretical).

That being said, here's an infographic and list of every contradiction in the bible:
http://www.project-reason.org/bibleContra_big.pdf
Don't click that if, like, you don't want to read that.  It's cool man

Contractions 323 and 324 are the exact same thing. Your graph is invalid.

RevolutionaryClock

I'm probably breaking rank from most non-theists here, but in 3rd world countries this is probably a good idea if there could be uniform enforcement backed by international law.

When we as westerners think of laws against blasphemy, we tend to think of overzealous Christians thinking they're being prosecuted because faggots can marry or Islamic states cutting the heads off children for questioning the prophets. What we should keep in mind though is that they aren't smashing ions together or sending robots to Mars in the tribal regions of Pakistan or mountains of Afghanistan. In these undeveloped country there isn't a debate for secular society being driven by non-theists. The notion of blasphemy out there is one faith proclaiming themselves righteous over another, inciting internal conflict, and further polarizing areas between violent religious extremes. The history of some blasphemy laws in the middle east weren't designed to impose the word of Allah over courts, but rather keep peace among the religious demographics. These laws have clearly over the years been misused and wielded as a way for a religious majority to impose it's will over other smaller sects. International laws in relation to the notion of blasphemy could possibly be a way to reign these in as a peacekeeping measure.

I appreciate that people deplore the idea of blasphemy laws as an assault on intellectual freedom, but it's a shame to say that some parts of the world aren't developed to a point where that's relevant. If peace can be maintained in the middle east for the populations to industrialize, modernize, and become educated then eventually you'll have developed nations that can afford to entertain a little social disorder for intellectual freedom. In the current status quo though, that social disorder isn't an Christian wacko holding up picket sighs outside an abortion clinic. It's motherfuckers with bombs strapped to themselves blowing up a school for girls.

AlbinoClock

That's a sensible argument Rev, but we're talking about the UN, not backwardsville.

Slurpee

Quote from: MonsterMunch;1923513Behead those who insult Slam!

the yellow lines on his sunglasses are fingers goatseing his nose into existence