News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

marei maæker

Farted by PhantomCatClock, November 17, 2015, 05:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomCatClock

alright listen up you chumba wumbas I made my first level in Super Marioâ,,¢ Maker® and here is the code is at:

8F11-0000-00EE-A65E

rave reviews:

"this isn't fun" - ex roommate

"i haven't played it" - best friend

"it's alright" - me

Slurpee

ok I'm gonna play it right meow

Slurpee

Slurpee

PhantomCatClock

I know you beat it in your first try and you're just being modest so the other clocks aren't intimidated but to quote the ancient nonSlavic philosopher Dr. Werner Klopek, "you don't fool me."

PhantomCatClock

Looking at the timestamps on your posts, I guess now's a good time to mention it wasn't supposed to be a fun level. It was supposed to be frustrating while taking the maximum amount of time

It seems like the easy way out, actually, but IN MY DEFENSE it has actual enjoyable challenges after the second p-switch tower

Slurpee

i kept dying at the rollycoaster with the fireballs
i stopped because it takes like 2 minutes to get there. i haven't given up i just have other shit to do

also it took me the first couple of tries to figure out what i was intended to do, because my instinct was to kick the p-switches up to hit the spinny blocks, which, if there's a coin above them, also removes that coin. so i'd end up with like 4 p switches at a time, which is fine on the first tower, but unless i'm terribly mistaken, we're meant to also climb the second tower without the aid of a vine, and collecting the wrong coin can inadvertently make that impossible. the timing on the spring jump through a spinny block is ridiculously fiddly, so I ended up cheating(?) and stacking the spring on top of a p-switch to make the timing window larger

PhantomCatClock

I did a TON of experimenting on that last tower, and tossing the P-block up to dislodge the spring, jumping while they're falling, then doing one short jump and two big jumps on it is the /only/ way to get up there

Figured it'd add tons of time to the level to have them have to do so much experimenting to figure out HOW to do it, before even checking if they CAN.

Bad news: you're at another part like that (good news: it's the last one, at least) and this level took forever to make and like three hours to upload even with me knowing how to do it because that goddamn roller coaster. I uploaded it once and then wanted to change something, decided to just add two little bowsers there and SHIT it got like ten times harder. 10/10 goty

Slurpee

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on November 21, 2015, 07:54:30 PM
I did a TON of experimenting on that last tower, and tossing the P-block up to dislodge the spring, jumping while they're falling, then doing one short jump and two big jumps on it is the /only/ way to get up there
i dont think that's what i did

if you hold duck when the spring is on top of the p-block, mario won't bump his head on the second spinny block, which alters the timing. that was my eureka moment
Quote from: PhantomCatClock on November 21, 2015, 07:54:30 PM
Bad news: you're at another part like that
you bum

I assumed something was up when the platform fell off the track but i died before i could find out if it would land on another segment of track or if i was supposed to take a running jump at some point or if there was like a hidden block or something. i will end this. #legendkiller

PhantomCatClock

I was about to actually spoil that part before you had your last line. If you do beat this, you will have my eternal respect until I forget about this

Slurpee

PhantomCatClock

did you actually beat it

I'm going to my Wii right now to check

PhantomCatClock

HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIT i feel like i actually owe you something

and I looked at all the people who played it and were from America and my guess was that you were jJo so I played some gross stranger's level and commented on it and ugh fucking jJo

apparently not jJoNeato

Slurpee

Slurpee

I don't think I've complemented you on your design

it was difficult, but not in a cheap way. I mean, there was some stuff in there that I had to wrap my brain around, but most of the deaths i didn't have anyone to blame but myself

it wasn't like, "here's four doors, and three of them are inescapable death traps" like you see in some low-completion stages, or "panicked mass of bouncing giant enemies shooting fire" or "3 lakitus throw piranha plants while you run through a gauntlet of chain chomps attached to tracks"

PhantomCatClock

That said, the beginning part was 400% just to make the stage frustrating because it stopped you from practicing the hard parts

Slurpee

yeah I complained about that to my roommate
but once you get it down to a rhythm it only takes about a minute or so to get through, because there's no randomized elements until the fireballs

PhantomCatClock

Slurpee

Slurpee

oh i was wondering if dril was dmk
since he was giganticdrill on buyhappiness