News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Help me find out what's wrong with this TECHNOLOGY

Farted by GreyClock, October 25, 2017, 01:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreyClock

Some of you are pretty tech savvy I'm sure, so please help me identify what the actual issue even is, because I'm not exactly sure what to googleâ,,¢.* Lately, when I stream TV on my PC I sit there, on the couch, enjoying the program when all of a sudden (every ten minutes or so) it skips back ten, twenty seconds and repeats what I've already seen. (This only started happening a week ago, before that it was hours of non-stop streaming fun.) After the short repeat is done the framerate seems to drop to about one and it looks like I'm watching a slideshow, sometimes it freezes. I have to get up, refresh the page and restart the stream, AGONY! It doesn't happen on Youtube for example, which leads me to believe that this might be an issue with the particular service, and not with my connection? (Although the service's FAQ response is: "You and your connection are the root of all problems in the world, past, present and future, fuck you forever.") My connection is a stable 40Mb/s, but I guess it could be a short time-out on my end or whatever? Although one would think that something like that would become apparent elsewhere as well, no? So what is this indicative of? Thanks very much friends.

*Meaning I can only seem to come up with shitty results.

PhantomCatClock

technolorgy

and uh, shit, I don't know then. I have some ideas, but none are probably correct. Don't think for a second that's going to stop me from sharing them: if it's just the ONE SERVICE the obvious answer is it's their service, but a less obvious one could be that it's not detecting your laptop- or even TV resolution and it's beaming 4k over, and ten minutes is how long it takes before your baby computron can't take that amount of data anymore. Another equally less likely one is you had everything set to wumbo. But yeah, if every other application is working fine, search EVERY SINGLE SETTING on both your TV and that actual service app because there just might could be some hidden nonsense

GreyClock

There aren't any settings that I'm aware of. It's just plain old Firefox and this particular website. For some reason you can't even select the quality of the stream, it does that automatically, so maybe you're in the right ballpark with resolutions and 4k and perhaps fluctuations therein? That said, I now remember that the same service had trouble with Firefox a year or so ago (fullscreen = slideshow fps), so first I'll try Chrome again.

PhantomCatClock

To my knowledge, Lynx is the only browser that's never had any trouble with any type of media

GreyClock

Chrome works fine. Streamed the shit out of some shit without incident. So I guess there's somesort of issue between this particular service and Firefox.

PhantomCatClock

I recall YouTube's dohicky where you used to be able to switch back and forth between the HTML5 and Flash players saying that every browser supported whatever and the other thing, but Firefox had an asterisk next to it for some encoding (h.#### or something. Presumably a really common one because this page only listed two or three and there isn't even a Flash player now) and it said FUEGOFOX could play that type but it depended on your video card or something

now that I've successfully paraphrased it like an ass, here's the real one: https://www.youtube.com/html5

apparently that was not only semi-relevant at best but I was going by a wrong memory

that concludes sleepycat nonhelpful posts good night

PhantomCatClock

pls vote me clock of the year this entire thread is my campaign platform

GreyClock

Well, in a way your post somehow (ALL CAPS "one service" v.v.?) made me remember that different browsers are a thing so maybe not as unhelpful as you think, so I hereby nominate you for clock of the bicentennium. Congratuthanks.

PhantomCatClock

GreyClock

If Lynx is your pet name for Chrome then yes, yes it did work.

Clocktopus

Sounds like you aren't internet savvy either because you aren't using Reddit to ask this.

GreyClock

Not using Reddit seems pretty savvy to me chomo.