News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

The only good thing to come out of a sonic game in YEARS

Farted by NintendrCkolc, September 13, 2020, 03:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NintendrCkolc

NintendrCkolc

Sonic Mania in general is the best Sonic game since S&K. It's a genuinely good game despite itself. There I said it. You're welcome Jamba.

DiscoBallClock

wasn't there a Sonic game in which he turns into a werewolf, or was that a fever dream

[FLASH=http://files.myfrogbag.com/kqk1bc/discosig.swf]http://width=300 height=200[/FLASH]

PhantomCatClock

I would rather it have had more levels than how big the levels are but ye

k9

Quote from: NintendrCkolc on September 13, 2020, 03:56:03 PM
Sonic Mania in general is the best Sonic game since S&K. It's a genuinely good game despite itself. There I said it. You're welcome Jamba.
I get alot of shit when I say I didn't like that game but I can't help but feel disapointed with it.

like its techincally good, but the game felt more like a greatest hits, rather than a new game, and it felt more fixated on dwelling on the past rather than innovating on the classic sonic gameplay. That's such a shame, because when it does try new shit its WONDERFUL, the drop dash is fucking beautiful, and the new zones like Titanic Monarch and Press Garden are so inspired and amazing. Also hands down the music is great all the way through.

I just wish it had a wee bit more originality.

PhantomCatClock

I think OG sonic fans like it so much because they saw what originality did to the franchise they used to love

k9

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on September 13, 2020, 04:41:34 PM
I think OG sonic fans like it so much because they saw what originality did to the franchise they used to love
lmao that is a fair point, but I don't think it's an excuse to not try to innovate and make something new

NintendrCkolc

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on September 13, 2020, 04:41:34 PM

:this:

NintendrCkolc

Also I think Mania NEEDED some throwback stuff to bring back the cynics like me who were and to some degree, still are, done with Sonic as a franchise. The new stuff that is in there IS great, but the throwback levels and remixed original tracks are fantastic.

Super Mario Odyssey does the same thing to some degree, with some classic 2D NES SMB stuff thrown in here and there. It's not a bad thing for a franchise to remember its history and play off of it. It can be done wrong, for sure, but Mania does it right.

k9

Quote from: NintendrCkolc on September 13, 2020, 04:55:09 PM
Also I think Mania NEEDED some throwback stuff to bring back the cynics like me who were and to some degree, still are, done with Sonic as a franchise. The new stuff that is in there IS great, but the throwback levels and remixed original tracks are fantastic.

Super Mario Odyssey does the same thing to some degree, with some classic 2D NES SMB stuff thrown in here and there. It's not a bad thing for a franchise to remember its history and play off of it. It can be done wrong, for sure, but Mania does it right.
I have nothing wrong with a little bit of referencin, but its like 75% of mania and thats being generous lol

NintendrCkolc

Quote from: K-9_CLOCK on September 13, 2020, 04:56:23 PM
I have nothing wrong with a little bit of referencin, but its like 75% of mania and thats being generous lol

Maybe, but even the referencing isn't just outright copy paste. A lot of the older levels aren't identical to their originals and still feel fresh with the help of the remixed tracks.

PhantomCatClock

Imagine waiting 20 years for a fourth sonic game that was just the first three with different levels and then you finally got it.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

The new level design is genuinely good, this is the only time since SA2 they could justify green hill zone showing up again. There's even a second set of remixed levels, The plus mode was even more fun and has a different philosophy to the level design, I like how they took concepts from chaotix that had potential and made something actually good. If chaotix was designed like that it would have been remembered for more than pretty colors and that one song everybody likes. Literally all I could say negative about mania that the secret stage ring placement is a little more esoteric than it was in 3K. Fuckin love the special stages themselves though. And yeah they could have cut two or three throwback areas for more new shit like Studiopolis, but I doubt Sega would have let them do that.

PolyhedronClock

[u2]LYvO8eaWJNc[/u2]

the animated miniseries they did for it was also p.good