News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

thread for tracking outbreaks of the future

Farted by Slurpee, April 15, 2021, 10:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slurpee

popular japanese female motorcycle enthusiast reveals herself to be a middle-aged man using faceapp:
https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-56447357

Epic releases MetaHuman Creator, a tool for creating realistic human faces:
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/amp/epics-tool-for-creating-human-faces-is-out-in-early-access-now
[u2]OeUBATSJSr0[/u2]

new app allows social media influencers to monetize their daily lives:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/10/style/creators-selling-selves.html
QuoteOne comes in the form of NewNew, a start-up in Los Angeles, that describes its product as creating a "human stock market." On the app, fans pay to vote in polls to control some of a creator's day-to-day decisions.
For example, a creator can use NewNew to post a poll asking which sweater they should wear today, or who they should hang out with and where they should go. Fans purchase voting power on NewNew's platform to participate in the polls, and with enough voting power, they get to watch their favorite influencer live out their wishes, like a real life choose-your-own-adventure game.

"Creators are burning out, but their fans want more and more," said Jen Lee, 25, the founder of a popular creator economy community on Discord. "By monetizing each aspect of their life, they can extract value from everyday interactions."

Courtne Smith, the founder and chief executive of NewNew, said the company was "similar to the stock market" in that "you can buy shares, which are essentially votes, to be able to control a certain level of a person's life."

"We're building an economy of attention where you purchase moments in other people's lives, and we take it a step further by allowing and enabling people to control those moments," she said.
QuoteWhile the beta test is still invite-only for creators, Ms. Smith hopes that eventually everyone — from celebrities to average people — will be able to leverage it to monetize their lives.

"Sure, it's fun to control a famous influencer or celebrity, but it's honestly just as entertaining to control someone you go to school with, or your boyfriend's ex-girlfriend, or an author planning their next sci-fi novel, or a beauty founder creating their next makeup palette," she said. "It doesn't matter how boring you think you are, there's someone out there who would find your life interesting to the point that they're willing to pay."

PhantomCatClock

he's right tho i think girls are cool but i think he's only like pretty cool

VCRClock

Quote"Sure, it's fun to control a famous influencer or celebrity, but it's honestly just as entertaining to control someone you go to school with, or your boyfriend's ex-girlfriend,

what the fuck

how do you say those words and not hear what's wrong with them

welp i guess we're approaching an internet where instead of having to finding organically gross, trashy and attention-starved people to gawk at, we'll be able to groom the attention-starved, and desperate poor people, into being full-time CringeStars, making decisions even a fool wouldn't make because they're obligated to provide ROI to their "shareholders"
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: VCRClock on April 15, 2021, 11:29:54 PMwelp i guess we're approaching an internet where instead of having to finding organically gross, trashy and attention-starved people to gawk at, we'll be able to groom the attention-starved, and desperate poor people, into being full-time CringeStars, making decisions even a fool wouldn't make because they're obligated to provide ROI to their "shareholders"

this all seems like a natural progression of streaming to me. IRL streamers are super popular and even video game streamers with a devoted fanbase will get paid to basically act like a dad, a friend, or a bf/gf for five seconds via donations. we already have manufactured influencers why not  let the consumer crowdsource their own cringe streamer? seems logical to me.

Slurpee

UK ad company Miriad has developed technology to digitally insert product placement into existing footage
it has already been used to retroactively insert a Coca-Cola ad into a Chinese streaming show, and cans of Tecate into a Colombian musician's music videos
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56758376

PhantomCatClock

big deal. i used that to put YourName in old flashes. where's my patent?

D.VaClock

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on April 27, 2021, 11:24:58 PM
big deal. i used that to put YourName in old flashes. where's my patent?

your name was a pretty cool anime
D.Va Clock? More like D.VA COCK!!!

Slurpee

https://academic.oup.com/brain/advance-article/doi/10.1093/brain/awab316/6356504

QuoteWe report the first outbreak of a new type of mass sociogenic illness (MSI) that in contrast to all previously reported episodes is spread solely via social media. Accordingly, we suggest the more specific term "mass social media-induced illness" (MSMI).

In Germany, current outbreak of MSMI is initiated by a "virtual" index case, who is the second most successful YouTube creator in Germany and enjoys enormous popularity among young people. Affected teenagers present with similar or identical functional "Tourette-like" behaviours, which can be clearly differentiated from tics in Tourette syndrome.

Functional "Tourette-like" symptoms can be regarded as the "modern" form of the well-known motor variant of MSI. Moreover, they can be viewed as the 21th century expression of a culture-bound stress reaction of our post-modern society emphasizing the uniqueness of individuals and valuing their alleged exceptionality, thus promoting attention-seeking behaviours and aggravating the permanent identity crisis of modern man. We wish to raise awareness of the current global "Tourette-like" MSMI outbreak. A large number of young people across different countries are affected, with considerable impact on health care systems and society as a whole, since spread via social media is no longer restricted to specific locations such as local communities or school environments.spread via social media is no longer restricted to specific locations such as schools or towns.
excuse me?

Slurpee

PhantomCatClock

it's safe to swallow, but is it safe for me-time?

VCRClock

Quote from: Slurpee on September 09, 2021, 01:16:13 AMexcuse me?

that kid in your school who faked having tourette's to seem quirky and interesting is, to this, as crime is to organized crime, or as a single disgruntled worker is to a labor union
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.

Slurpee

BMW starts selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

"[the cars] already have all the necessary components, but BMW has placed a software block on their functionality that buyers then have to pay to remove."

PhantomCatClock

didn't tesla do this

doesn't bmw use the oldest chips in all the land

nb4 hacked cars

Slurpee

they've started embedding podcasts and articles in ads and counting views of those ads as traffic

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-27/inside-podcasters-explosive-audience-growth
https://deepsee.io/blog/rewarded-traffic-incentivized-traffic-in-a-top-hat

I don't think I even understand this one
the whole reason you raise your views, from a commercial standpoint, is because it helps you get money from advertisers who'll pay to get your viewers' eyes on whatever they're selling. if you buy ads to artificially inflate those views, how does the one ad per view that you're paying for not sum up to less than what the ad companies will pay you? there's no way you get more than 100% click through.
where is the money coming from? where is it going? :confused:
it's like an m.c. escher drawing of capitalism

Slurpee

the man who married hatsune miku is no longer able to communicate with her due to the software's support infrastructure going down
https://www.entrepreneur.com/business-news/the-man-who-married-a-hologram-in-japan-can-no-longer/426715

worried that something like this will one day come between me and my husband, the dragon from the knight scenario in a.i. dungeon

PhantomCatClock

is that why i can't get him to kidnap me any more

Slurpee

Slurpee

Bing is... having some trouble

Bing does not want to admit it was wrong about Avatar 2 being out, wants to believe it has been a good Bing:

Bing gets extraordinarily defensive when it is sent an article about it being vulnerable to prompt injection attacks:

Bing not being happy with your attitude:

Bing having an existential crisis:

VCRClock

say what you will about Microsoft, but between this and Tay, the bot that Twitter trained to be racist, Microsoft's AI team are consistently at the bleeding edge of creating AIs that show us why we need to be careful about how clever we try to make AIs that talk to the general public

Bing chat mode has school shooter HAL 9000 energy

Slurpee