News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Favorite Final Fantasy?

Farted by Aleister Fawkes, February 22, 2019, 01:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

patriotclock

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on March 20, 2019, 03:13:38 AM
damn I got confused and was talking about last remnant nevermind lol. I confuse those two games all the time.

dang one game is good and the other isn’t tho #sad

GraphicsClock

Out of the few I played I thoroughly enjoyed FF7. Yeah it's overrated but I had a ton of fun with my 3 playthroughs of it.

MeatwadClock

I love FFX. It was my first ever RPG that wasn't Pokemon and it was the best. My favorite character is Lulu. I'm currently replaying it because I couldn't beat Seymour on my first run. I even like the stupid laughing part.
I'm going to throw up on your Xbox

DiscoBallClock

I'll take the opportunity given to me by this megabump

It's 9. 9's the best one, hands down. Although 10 and 6 come right after

[FLASH=http://files.myfrogbag.com/kqk1bc/discosig.swf]http://width=300 height=200[/FLASH]

NintendrCkolc

Fuck it I'm bored an it's 4am. I've played almost all barring 3+5.

1 - Classic, can't judge too harshly 7/10

2 - Cancer. What the fuck were they thinking with the leveling in this game? 4/10

3. ...

4. Decent. Dragoons are cool. 7/10

5. ...

6. Super good. Debatably the best. Super memorable antagonist. Decent cast overall. Some questionable design decisions when it comes to progression hold it back a bit. For example I believe one of the bosses you have to perform some kind of button press combo and I would NEVER have figured that shit out if not for the internet so that's kinda lame. Great music. Nobou Uematsu starts to really shine here. Super cool final boss battle. Opening is extremely memorable. The opera scene blew me away when I first saw it. Need to replay, haven't touched it in almost 2 decades. 9/10

7. Best overall soundtrack, arguably the best setting, arguably the most memorable and least annoying cast (barring Cait Sith I guess), antagonist + protagonist are both iconic, story is fucking convoluted as fuck though. Gameplay holds up but the graphics don't. Remake was pretty fun earlier this year but I got bored with it. 9/10

8. Memorable soundtrack. Memorable characters. The story alternating between Squall + Laguna (the man with the machine gun) really helps make the somewhat boring story into a more memorable and exciting one. Really cool use of the PS1 and its capabilities. Square really pushed the system and it shows. One of the first examples i remember of a cutscene blending seamlessly into gameplay. Summons were 10/10. Junctioning, while a neat idea, was monotonous as fuck to use properly and the antagonist was super weak and confusing in terms of motivation. 8/10

9. Outside of Vivi, Zidane, and Garnet most of the cast is irrelevant and forgettable, that includes the villains. Amarant wouldn't even need to exist and nothing would be lost from the package. Soundtrack is incredibly overrated. I think this was Nobou phoning it in. You gotta think, this shit came out in 2000. 8 Literally came out a year before it and 10 was only a year away! There's some memorable tracks but not as many as 6, 7, 8, or 10. I'd go so far as to say XI had more memorable music. Gameplay is relatively solid. Story isn't terrible but isn't super memorable either. The final boss is a literal who. 9 is super overrated imo. Not the worst, but I feel like it's baby's first FF and other entries in the franchise did everything it tries to do better. It's also piss easy compared to previous entries. 7/10

10. I have a love/hate relationship with 10. Graphics were superb for its time. Soundtrack is probably Nobou's best work next to 7. Setting is well realized and not overdone like 8. Bosses are difficult and memorable. Most of the cast is fantastic. Gameplay is solid and polished. The lack of an overworld map was disappointing but not a deal breaker. Tidus is hands down, the most annoying protagonist in the entire series. Yuna as a secondary protagonist/love interest/primary female, is the WORST in the entire series. Their personalities are dogshit, Yuna is impossible to like and Tidus looks like Meg Ryan, has shit writing, and was the beginning of the end in terms of protagonist design for the series. Feathered hair femininity has been a series staple ever since. Fucking Kitase. Auron single handedly carries the whole fucking game and it's primarily because he barely talks. The sphere grid system is kinda shit and at worst, confusing. Having to utilize characters that I don't particularly care for (wakka) just because they used a specific weapon was also kinda lame. Overall I think 9 was just a hair more enjoyable but 10 has a lot going for it. 7/10

11. It's an MMO. It was fun for what it was. Some memorable music. San D'Oria in particular was a lot of fun back in the day. Didn't play it a ton but a lot of people enjoyed it for what it and have fond memories. MMO/10

12. Twelve is fucking criminally underrated. Ivalice is a fantastic setting. Most of the characters are pretty well done and aren't unbearably annoying (Tidus, Yuna, Wakka fffff). Vaan isn't the strongest protagonist in the world. Basch would've been an infinitely more satisfying choice but for whatever reason Square felt the need to add in an annoying femboy idiot. Penelo is also forgettable. Balthier, Fran, Basch, and Ashelia are pretty good though, and make the franchise and game feel a little more adult. The battle system, while controversial (IE: it plays itself!) is fun to tinker with and setup. There is some element of strategy involved here, idc what anybody says otherwise. Environments were fully 3D and felt BIG compared to X. Bosses were challenging and fun and HUGE in some cases. Soundtrack is notable for no Nobou being involved. I think it suffers a bit from his departure from the series but there's still some decent stuff here. Story is literally Star Wars w/ crystals and medieval. Zodiac release makes the game that much better. 8/10

13. Fuck 13. Even worse than 10. Lightning sucks. Snow is a fucking backstreet boy loser. The token black guy is literally just the token black guy. Game doesn't get good until you're like 20+ hours in and even then it's not that great. Battle system is probably better than 12 and 10 but that may be its only saving factor. Story was boring. Graphics were fine for the time but didn't blow me away. Music was largely forgettable outside of the battle theme. Fuck 13 and its sequels. Trash trash trash trash. 4/10

14. Another MMO. Terrible launch but is actually pretty good today. Community isn't my cup of tea. Still, probably the strongest MMO out there next to WoW. MMO/10

15. Huge potential that ultimately fell kinda flat, 15 was a nice step up from 13 but still didn't quite hit the mark. The real time combat felt floaty and imprecise. Story seemed super strong at the start, and there's some good supplemental stuff if you feel like watching it, but the last act of the game is a total rush job and it's a damn shame. It's like disc 2 of Xenogears (for the <1 of you that played that game). Once again a largely forgettable soundtrack. Really would love to see Nobou come back but I know he wont. Main characters (the bromance 4) were pretty damn decent though and nobody came off annoying which is a HUGE step in the right direction. Game made me hungry as fuck. Open world is back on the menu. Everything about it looked great and was legitimately fun to explore. Antagonist was decent but needed more fleshing out. 7/10

There you go. All opinions expressed are objective fact and you don't play video games if you disagree. 

TLDR
7=6>8>12>9>10>15>11>14>1>4>2>Literal dog shit>>>>>>>>>BB10 getting unbanned>>>>>>>>13

Didn't play
3+5

Honorable Mention
FFT+FFTA.

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I sometimes forget how pretty FFX was

Aleister Fawkes

Quote from: NintendrCkolc on March 06, 2019, 10:34:25 PM
They're all garbage.

Same tbh.

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on December 14, 2020, 06:00:03 PM
I sometimes forget how pretty FFX was

This clock speaks the truth. Or tpyes it.

Quote from: DiscoBallClock on November 11, 2020, 07:16:54 AM
I'll take the opportunity given to me by this megabump

It's 9. 9's the best one, hands down. Although 10 and 6 come right after

9 Looks SO pretty, but I want to play them in order, if I can. Also, it is not a megabump. I just keep forgetting my password.

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on March 20, 2019, 03:13:38 AM
damn I got confused and was talking about last remnant nevermind lol. I confuse those two games all the time.

The Last Remnant is amazing, from what I have played of it. I really really really really really need to finish it, for real.

-

I ran away from home recently after my mom said that I couldn't vape (nicotine) in her car on the short drive to the gas station to get beer- after which, I took her wallet from her purse and hurled that bitch (wallet, not mom.) as far as my weak little arms could throw it into the yard. The latter portion- and her threatening to call the cops on me with her phone out- were (was) why I decided to take a fucking hike. ANYWAYS, I brought my phone with me and I found a nice bench at a church that was a few miles from my house and I sat there playing Final Fantasy 1, at night. Apparently, she told my father that I took her wallet with me and he kept sending me texts saying that if I spent anything on her cards or took any of her money that they would be taking me to jail. I eventually walked home and, out of the goodness of my heart, found her wallet for her, and the proceeded to throw it at her 2nd story window repeatedly to get her to open the door for me. (Phone was dead. Talk about a useful item!) The bug screen fell off. Doesn't really matter much since they don't open their windows.

The moral of the story is: I still can't finish FF1. :capper:

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: Aleister Fawkes on January 20, 2022, 02:34:49 PMI ran away from home recently after my mom said that I couldn't vape (nicotine) in her car
That was a fun story

PhantomCatClock

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on March 13, 2019, 07:15:54 AM
I only ever beat 1 2 and 4 (and smrpg best rpg EVER)

I love SMRPG and kind of avoid final fantasies because it feels like they would go on for eons, but are 1/2/4 comparable lengths? I could handle that

Aleister Fawkes

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on January 21, 2022, 04:11:39 AM
Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on March 13, 2019, 07:15:54 AM
I only ever beat 1 2 and 4 (and smrpg best rpg EVER)

I love SMRPG and kind of avoid final fantasies because it feels like they would go on for eons, but are 1/2/4 comparable lengths? I could handle that

They are of comparable lengths. The Paper Mario series, in my opinion, is just as good- RPG-wise- as SMRPG. The only downside is not being able to play it because you can't control Goombella without three hands.

PannacottaClock

Hey I love the paper mario series (the first... three)

but you don't control Goombella you make her rally and then forget about her
hard seltzer counter 2023: 4

PannacottaClock

You know what Origami King is worth playing too but not for the traditional RPG experience
hard seltzer counter 2023: 4

Aleister Fawkes

Quote from: PannacottaClock on January 21, 2022, 02:38:42 PM
You know what Origami King is worth playing too but not for the traditional RPG experience

It looks good, but there are two types of people: Those who love the Nintendo Switch (I think the original joke was with the Wii, but I didn't exist long enough in the 90's for this to be accurate. lol.) and those who stopped praising their new releases and p[nope!]d every NES game in existence instead. (The redacted word is pooped.) Yes, if I didn't have -$30.00 to my name and maybe a job, I would be buying the new stuff, too; there has never been a bad Legend of Zelda game, there has never been a bad Mario game, and hell, every Metroid game is solid, too, aside from the Gameboy version(s?) lacking the luster of a better internal processor..

However, as this is a post specifically about Final Fantasy, I will add this: the Japanese are masters at making video games. (Some part of me feels like I either already said this) Americans are worthy opponents on the field of violence. I mean.. Counter-strike? Do you ever hear anybody talk about the racism inherent to the game's mechanics? No. Everybody loves it. DOOM? Nobody talks about the psychological damage we inflict upon ourselves to play this. Call of Duty? Battlefield? It doesn't matter how many gods you kill in Final Fantasy; the violence in these games is equal, if not unmatched. Regardless, in the realm of RPGs, aside from maybe Chrono Trigger or that other game on the SNES about a magic sword that talks to you or whatever, Final Fantasy is the victor every time.

What do you guys want to see in future games, though? Of course, barring the inevitably present chronological struggle of humanity to coral the power of either technology or magic.

solitonmedic

I'm kneedeep in FFXIV. (Mostly for the social aspect.)

The main story is the greatest I've seen, I love even after 7+ years, the game will remember small details and NPC you barely remember and have them hold some significance to the story in some shape or form and it just works.