News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

"Matter of Character"

Farted by TequilaClock, August 25, 2008, 06:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TequilaClock

[u2]lhzyOzItDnc[/u2]

This is exactly one of my main concerns of why I think the game industry is going down and I haven't seen anything new in a long time. Just listen and take note.

(Old but holds a lot of water)

Kombucha

Topcatyo

I kinda had to stop watching very early on because the guy was ruining the magic of the word "fuck".
Seriously, makes me cringe every time he says it.

shit for brains

I stopped it after the guy got to his 3rd word. annoying voice and fake maddox-wannabe act...

TequilaClock

Quote from: Topcatyo;1389464I kinda had to stop watching very early on because the guy was ruining the magic of the word "fuck".
Seriously, makes me cringe every time he says it.
Hehe I know what you mean. I turned down the volume a bit in my part.

Topcatyo

Allow me to give my opinion on characters without having watched the at video.
From what I saw of the first minute I saw of it, Complainman complained about how poeple think the Wii isn't a current-gen console and whatnot, I don't care about any of that.
Then he went on some spiel about how oldskool video games had great and unique characters that kick all modern games asses, minus Portal, No More Heroes and the others yadda yadda.

My counter-argument:
Ecco the Dolphin.
Um, you played as a dolphin...

TequilaClock

You didn't reach the Bionic Commando or Bomberman part, right? Though you made good points since he is a whiny but a very accurate one.

Flounderpa

toatally agree, I still have the scars from my last trip to the game store
ââ€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"¬à®Å"Û©ÛžÛ©à®Å"ââ€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"¬
SHUTãâ,¬â,¬Ã¯Â¼ÂµÃ¯Â¼Â°Ã£â,¬â,¬Ã¯Â¼Â¡Ã¯Â¼Â®Ã¯Â¼Â¤Ã£â,¬â,¬Ã¯Â¼Â¥Ã¯Â¼Â®Ã¯Â¼ÂªÃ¯Â¼Â¯Ã¯Â¼Â¹Ã£â,¬â,¬Ã¯Â¼Â´Ã¯Â¼Â¨Ã¯Â¼Â¥Ã£â,¬â,¬Ã¯Â¼Â­Ã¯Â¼ÂµÃ¯Â¼Â³Ã¯Â¼Â©Ã¯Â¼Â£Ã¯Â¼Â
ââ€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"¬à®Å"Û©ÛžÛ©à®Å"ââ€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"‰â€"¬

Pin Clock

Agree in full, but he never mentioned that Hudson didn't keep that Bomberman since it's game sucked and went back to the one we all know and love.
if there were two guys on the moon and one of them killed the other with a rock that'd be pretty fucked up wouldn't it?

Topcatyo

In all seriousness, though, having zany characters like the old day won't cut it because of new games and their need of a good story.  A good story can allow for a crazy character here or there, but if it's just a big bucket of insanity why should people care about the characters?
Let's make an example on the spot.
Here are two different stories, say, with amazing plots.  Just imagine.
  • A man who was seriously injured in a car wreck he was in starts hearing the voice of a stranger (the woman who died in the same car wreck).  He doesn't trust the voice at first, but when it predicts strange events that actually come true (one of the major bridges into the city collapses during a freak earthquake, just like she said), he starts to believe her.  She gives him instructions to avoid danger, which is fine and dandy, until she starts telling him to kill people, several being some of the other people involved in the crash.  When he doesn't listen to her, something horrible happpens to the whole city as revenge from her.  Your hero, still without the ability to use his right arm yet (which is his dominant hand/arm), must escape the hospital he was recovering in and find out what's fucking with the city.
Features realistic and relatable characters.  Survival horror game.
  • A funny kleptomaniac pelican wearing Hawaiian swim shorts and talks like Frank Sinatra is carried to a strange island of unknown location after a horrible tsunami carries him far from his home.
Features charactes who are animals with funny voices that spew one-liners.  Is a licensed game based on the CGI movie with the same plot that no one watched except for little shitlings (kids) and the parents forced to watch it with them.[/list]

What's the biggest difference between these two?  The first one has realistic, non-wacky characters (except for maybe vengeful dead chick that swallows the entire city in evil), and the second one stars a pelican.

In an industry with most games having plots that play an important role in video games, it's hard to care about a character to can't relate to.
I'd type more but Jesus I don't want to type any more just imagine I finished the rest of this post

Kombucha

Quote from: Shigeru Miyamoto;1389474Agree in full, but he never mentioned that Hudson didn't keep that Bomberman since it's game sucked and went back to the one we all know and love.
That's because the Bomberman games that were released after Act Zero were released after he made this video.

AMPEEEM

Ya, thats a great video, saw it a long ass time ago, though.

Mashed Potato Johnson

a game with a gorilla would be great
[U2]eK5bIWRWcQw[/U2]

Kombucha

Quote from: Ziltoid the Omniscient;1389482a game with a gorilla would be great

TremcladClock

Oh my god his voice is horrible.

TabascoClock

Of all his videos, that's the one I agree with the most actually.

Pin Clock

Quote from: Kombucha;1389476That's because the Bomberman games that were released after Act Zero were released after he made this video.

Forgot this was an old video. Ok then, but Bomberman's argument no longer stands.
if there were two guys on the moon and one of them killed the other with a rock that'd be pretty fucked up wouldn't it?

Mashed Potato Johnson

Quote from: Kombucha;1389483[Super_Smash_Bros_Brawl_Donkey_Kong_01.jpg

Not that cartoony bullshit. Like an actual Gorilla born living its life in the wild.
[U2]eK5bIWRWcQw[/U2]

Kombucha

Quote from: Ziltoid the Omniscient;1389519Gorilla living its life in the wild.
That's a pretty boring premise for a game. Are you saying "living it's life in the wild" to emphasize that you want it to be less cartoony? In that case, you should have left it at "an actual gorilla".

TequilaClock