News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

The Mercy Thompson Series

Farted by SnakeClock, December 05, 2008, 09:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnakeClock

So on the recommendation of a friend of mine, I've started reading "Moon Called" the first book in the Mercy Thompson series. His taste in literature is questionable (he utterly adores the Sword of Truth series), but I thought it would be an interesting read, especially since werewolf lit is so scarce lately with vampires being all the rage.

The book is about the titular character, who is a "skinwalker" living in the Tri-Cities that can turn into a coyote. She has a job as a car mechanic. The book is in first-person, so it's important that this character be pretty interesting.

So far, I'm finding the diction a little juvenile (she describes baking cookies in more feverish detail than when she turns into a coyote, in which case she just says "I shifted"), and many of the characters seem a little too aware of themselves (most of the werewolves in the book don't really give a shit or aren't that emotionally tumultuous about it), but I'm not minding it so far. The story's universe is pretty realistic except that fae walk among us, and they're hardly as cartoony or nonsensical as books like Artemis Fowl may suggest: they've gone unnoticed in this world for centuries, and the political air that's brought them out of hiding is very interesting.

Still, I'm not that far in, so the book has a lot of room to either take off or completely fuck up, and I'm looking forward to see what it does. Anyone else been interested in this series?