News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreyClock

Quote from: Slurpee on February 08, 2020, 01:36:16 PM
this is blowing my mind
https://www.boredpanda.com/not-everyone-having-internal-monologue/

it's clickbaity but basically it asserts that some people have an "inner monologue", where they can "hear" their own thoughts as a coherent string of words in their mind, and other people do not think in words, and only form sentences as they speak or write them, and most people are not aware that the other kind of thinking exists

it looks like the "no inner monologue" kind is more rare

what kind are you guys?

I definitely have an inner monologue but I have also felt that, as with speaking or writing, it's an imperfect process of coalescing intended meaning, and I frequently realize it's nor precisely what I meant and revise or correct myself as I go. it's kind of relentless tbh
I also remember reading that natively bilingual people, when asked which language they think in, usually say neither, and it's more like when they speak they take this kind of abstract form of pure meaning and "translate" it to whatever language they're speaking
it sounds fascinating, heck, I wish I had superpowers

makes me wonder if language is some kind of neural crutch that asserts itself as the dominant form of thought just because interpersonal communication is so important in every aspect of our society, especially for very young children
Can it be both? Maybe it's answered in the article, but I have a headache and it had too many tweets in it and I zoned out. I feel like I can switch depending on the situation? When writing or say mulling in bed it's helpful to "make my brain speak" as it were. It's a good tool to run through a thought step by step. When I'm actively talking to someone it's easier/faster to vocalize "abstract non-verbal thoughts." I guess that's a way to put it, I can't describe it all that well, but I'll have some indefinable notion (or vague outline, or colored mist, or whatever the fuck) in my head and words just come out. Also I'm not exactly natively bilingual, but after years of television, literature and Clock Crew I can think in both English and Dutch and I can also switch between those at will. I don't have to translate between the two. Also sometimes my brain chooses for me it seems like. Like an abstract thought will pop into my head which somehow "feels" English or a Dutch sentence, or vice versa. Maybe this capacity for switching (in both senses) is because I only really learned English in high school. (Although most of the TV I watched as a kid was in English, with subtitles. (As a kid I also somehow learned how to understand German because I watched certain shows on German channels and they dub everything. (The other day I was watching a movie that had some dialogue in Italian and the stream didn't have subtitles and I wondered if I would be able to do that still, just by watching a bunch of Italian TV. Or maybe it was easier because I was a kid? Or maybe it was easier because there's some mild overlap between Dutch and German? Or both?)))

GreyClock

On a more basic level, sometimes I'll say in my head "Goddamn, what's that word?" to really push myself to remember. And I'll say, I don't know... "Buttress" out loud. In that moment the word "Buttress" wasn't actually in my mind though, just some abstract notion of that word. Is that a good illustration or is that just how normal thinking works? I can't tell.

Someone want to temporarily switch brains so we can compare notes?

Schmellements Clawk

Quote from: GreyClock on February 08, 2020, 06:58:29 PM
On a more basic level, sometimes I'll say in my head "Goddamn, what's that word?" to really push myself to remember. And I'll say, I don't know... "Buttress" out loud. In that moment the word "Buttress" wasn't actually in my mind though, just some abstract notion of that word. Is that a good illustration or is that just how normal thinking works? I can't tell.

Someone want to temporarily switch brains so we can compare notes?
Bad news, you have the aspergers.

PhantomCatClock

Marlin Clock

I swear that has to be some kind of hoax to generate a viral trend. How is it possible someone couldn't talk in their head?

PhantomCatClock

Feynman mentions a colleague who was doing something similar in an experiment where, and apologies to this guy if I'm remembering wrong and he wasn't an asshole, he had his dying wife count to ten a bunch of times to see if dying affected the speed of your thoughts or something. He ended up finding a different thing out—that while he could count to ten in his head at the exact same speed every time, the other scientists he hung out with could not. They, including I think Feynman, counted "out loud" in their head with their voices, which made them confused when they tried to speak while doing it, but this guy kind of saw a ticker go up and read the numbers in his head, so he was able to count and speak without his timing ever being off

I'm sure I mixed two different stories together and fucked the whole thing up, but that was in one of Richard P. Feynman's (ghostwritten) autobiographies, if you're into that sort of thing. They really aren't dry reads about science shit—he was an interesting guy and knows how to tell an autostory

RobClock

RobClock

Quote from: VCRClock on February 08, 2020, 04:45:09 PM
Quote from: RobClock on February 08, 2020, 07:52:36 AM
I HAVE PROOF!

a lot of little changes I'd made to the default forum theme here and there got reset because I performed something akin to a "fresh install" when trying to uninstall the misbehaving anti-bot software

one of them was probably increasing the size of the avatar area/decreasing the size of the post area. smf's default avatar size limit is less than the 200x250 to which we in the western world are accustomed, so the default theme expects smaller avatars

changed it back to approximately the way it probably was before

i appreciate you and your high tolerance for my nitpicky bs

pop-tart

PhantomCatClock

according to P-Bot's threads, Rob has been the only popular artist posting all week

Clocktopus

pop-tart

Do you know how much crude maple syrup Rob had to illegally export to Wade to get on that list?

RobClock

I swear I was on that list before I changed my username from 'theicecubeclock', which was 2014 so I have no idea what qualifiers there are but they can't be overly stringent

PhantomCatClock

Slurpee

playing madden with dio maddin while listening to dio

[u2]qcWKZTI9OC4[/u2]

Slurpee

playing madden with dio maddin, dio, madden, and dio while listening to maiden

[u2]3ZlDZPYzfm4[/u2]

BinaryClock

BinaryClock, if you wanna play uno type !unohelp to see how to

Schmellements Clawk

Quote from: Slurpee on February 10, 2020, 07:57:21 PM
That's meta metal as fuck, post back later so we know you survived.

PolyhedronClock

Quote from: ElementsClock on February 11, 2020, 02:00:18 AM
Quote from: Slurpee on February 10, 2020, 07:57:21 PM
That's meta metal as fuck, post back later so we know you survived.

damn, i think he's gone forever now.