News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on November 29, 2020, 02:36:18 AMshe also told us that her time in america made her fat enough to have to pay some kind of fat tax and i hope that's true
That is genuinely a thing and it's hilarious

Quote from: VCRClock on November 28, 2020, 03:45:27 PMso anyway, i'm on wikipedia, and it mentions something about Satellaview, and that's just the kind of shit I'm talking about here! fuck!! it's "formicapunk" in the sense of "steampunk," because it feels like something a millennial used to omnipresent internet DLC would try to do if they accidentally time traveled back to the 90s, except it was actually possible, it existed, and people used it... but only in japan?? meanwhile in the USA, satellite dishes are for your neighbor who wants to watch a channel devoted entirely to golf, but only when the weather's nice??

we did have sega channel but the most it had was some exclusive ntsc versions of games that were already on cartridge in japan and sometimes pal regions. there wasn't any actual service exclusive shit like the live narrated zelda and voice acted mario 2 usa. I love that I can emulate all this shit now. even just the satellaview menu is fun to fuck around in. it's like a town in earthbound that serves as a hub world for everything else.

also speaking of japanese cellphones and odd japan only nintendo stuff this thing always fascinated me

it was literally just for one game but it was so cool to me at the time. they did all sorts of cool pointless one off peripherals back then. I want that ridiculous game boy sewing machine.

RobClock

I got a free lazy boy tonight you wouldn't believe the shit that gets thrown out around here

GreyClock

What a reason to kick out a son! Raise him as your own, Rob.

PolyhedronClock

the slurpeegames were spicy this week

DiscoBallClock

Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on November 29, 2020, 02:55:38 AM
Quote from: PhantomCatClock on November 29, 2020, 02:36:18 AMshe also told us that her time in america made her fat enough to have to pay some kind of fat tax and i hope that's true

wait how does that work

[FLASH=http://files.myfrogbag.com/kqk1bc/discosig.swf]http://width=300 height=200[/FLASH]

GreyClock

Quote from: DiscoBallClock on November 29, 2020, 04:45:44 PM
Quote from: FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK on November 29, 2020, 02:55:38 AM

wait how does that work
The employers had to pay, not the fatsos themselves I gather. Based on waist size. Also apparently it was written out of the law in 2015. Information is a little patchy.

PhantomCatClock

This was way before 2015 though. I guess I've finally gone insane.

PhantomCatClock

GreyClock

Also, as an educator, do you have any tips on dealing with the type of person that looks absolutely bewildered the entire class, yet won't ask any questions, even when asked a direct question? "No, it's all clear, thank you." Experience has taught me that no, it's not fucking clear and this type of person generally does a terrible job and needs a lot of hand-holding after the training, at least initially. I don't want to get all snarky or quiz them, that would be counterproductive. One way I can think of is to ask more open-ended questions, "How would you [whatever]?" But the material doesn't really lend itself for that. Also I'm dealing with an overwhelming amount of information I need to deposit into their brainiums and time constraints.

GreyClock

Anyone in the mood for an angsty diatribe and, hopefully, a subsequent discussion, on the subject of love? I'll sit on it for a while.

DiscoBallClock

Quote from: GreyClock on November 29, 2020, 05:18:28 PM
Also, as an educator, do you have any tips on dealing with the type of person that looks absolutely bewildered the entire class, yet won't ask any questions, even when asked a direct question? "No, it's all clear, thank you." Experience has taught me that no, it's not fucking clear and this type of person generally does a terrible job and needs a lot of hand-holding after the training, at least initially. I don't want to get all snarky or quiz them, that would be counterproductive. One way I can think of is to ask more open-ended questions, "How would you [whatever]?" But the material doesn't really lend itself for that. Also I'm dealing with an overwhelming amount of information I need to deposit into their brainiums and time constraints.

Oh yeah, most of my/our students are exactly that type. Some of them you won't be able to reach, that's just a matter of personal disposition for speaking up. I try to make myself approachable; I make no judgements whenever someone has a question, even if a very dumb one, and I always take all questions seriously. That usually puts people a bit at ease.
Something I also do is just ask them directly, whenever I can tell from their faces that it's not getting in there. I sometimes even force it a bit like "should I go back to the beginning?"

There are many ways to bring out student participation; the above method tends to work for shier or more insecure people. I'm still working on getting the lazy ones motivated though. I recently watched an anime called Assassination Classroom - if you're an educator, it's worth a watch. Very wholesome, and I may have bawled my eyes out in the finale

[FLASH=http://files.myfrogbag.com/kqk1bc/discosig.swf]http://width=300 height=200[/FLASH]

DiscoBallClock

Quote from: GreyClock on November 29, 2020, 05:25:33 PM
Anyone in the mood for an angsty diatribe and, hopefully, a subsequent discussion, on the subject of love? I'll sit on it for a while.

Fuck me up, let's do it

RobClock

Quote from: GreyClock on November 29, 2020, 05:25:33 PM

I'm game, we'll see who rusts first

PhantomCatClock

is vincent "van" gogh history's only ear-based artist?

PhantomCatClock

GreyClock

Quote from: DiscoBallClock on November 29, 2020, 06:50:00 PMOh yeah, most of my/our students are exactly that type. Some of them you won't be able to reach, that's just a matter of personal disposition for speaking up. I try to make myself approachable; I make no judgements whenever someone has a question, even if a very dumb one, and I always take all questions seriously. That usually puts people a bit at ease.
Something I also do is just ask them directly, whenever I can tell from their faces that it's not getting in there. I sometimes even force it a bit like "should I go back to the beginning?"

There are many ways to bring out student participation; the above method tends to work for shier or more insecure people. I'm still working on getting the lazy ones motivated though. I recently watched an anime called Assassination Classroom - if you're an educator, it's worth a watch. Very wholesome, and I may have bawled my eyes out in the finale
Yeah, I try to make the point several times to please ask ask ask. I'll also ask again after every particularly difficult section. Most people participate, some ask great questions, others ask dumb questions. I answer them all without judgement. So far, every group seems to have one. With this one girl I literally saw her brain shut off after like 5-10 mins of the introduction. After that, on the job, at first she seemed to be searching for her own answers, literally just making stuff up (poorly). Then I had to address that and then and only then did she show up at my desk with a question every three minutes. Now she's finally doing an okay job. That's one story of mild success, the others just don't get their contracts renewed, son.

You actually trying to get me to watch anime?

DiscoBallClock

Quote from: GreyClock on November 30, 2020, 05:05:57 AM
Quote from: DiscoBallClock on November 29, 2020, 06:50:00 PMOh yeah, most of my/our students are exactly that type. Some of them you won't be able to reach, that's just a matter of personal disposition for speaking up. I try to make myself approachable; I make no judgements whenever someone has a question, even if a very dumb one, and I always take all questions seriously. That usually puts people a bit at ease.

Yeah, I try to make the point several times to please ask ask ask. I'll also ask again after every particularly difficult section. Most people participate, some ask great questions, others ask dumb questions. I answer them all without judgement. So far, every group seems to have one. With this one girl I literally saw her brain shut off after like 5-10 mins of the introduction. After that, on the job, at first she seemed to be searching for her own answers, literally just making stuff up (poorly). Then I had to address that and then and only then did she show up at my desk with a question every three minutes. Now she's finally doing an okay job. That's one story of mild success, the others just don't get their contracts renewed, son.

You actually trying to get me to watch anime?

Wow, my post was filled with broken English. Way to go, Disco

Yeah, I assume that since you're dealing in a professional (rather than academic) context, laziness or demotivation might be more of a problem for me than they are for you. Since I get last year students,  they've either picked up the habit of speaking up along the way, or they can't be bothered because they're almost done anyway. So that's kind of a pickle.

But yeah, you have the right idea. Make yourself available to answering all questions, no judgements. People don't speak up because they're afraid of looking dumb either to you or to their classmates. Making yourself available to go from the top again is very helpful, as is asking them directly, or asking the class if they can explain [content I just went over]. If they can't answer it, I sometimes ask "should I explain everything again, from the beginning?". You'd be surprised at how many people say yes.

hey it's just a suggestion, nah mean?

GreyClock

Quote from: DiscoBallClock on November 29, 2020, 06:50:13 PMFuck me up, let's do it

Quote from: RobClock on November 29, 2020, 08:13:37 PMI'm game, we'll see who rusts first

Well, the gist was gonna be I FUCKING LOATHE IT. I don't feel as strongly about it now that I've had a good night's sleep. I think it might also be the convergence of certain events and maybe the depression kicking in again around the one week mark of not smoking (like last time). I don't hate love, I guess I hate the fickleness, the (self-)doubt, the anxiety, the fear, all the stuff that comes with it. Stuff that seems to effect me perhaps more than it should, emotionally. I talked about meeting a nice lady before, which was already two months ago apparently. I've been working from home pretty much since. Even if I did go in to the office, our hours (barely) overlap. So at best we share a few words in a chat program, virtually en passant as it were. Most weeks it's like having a pen pal from Calcutta in the days before the internet. A question, a week later an answer and a question in return. It's mostly work stuff now, the answers are getting shorter, the well seems to be drying up. I'm not one of those guys that blames the other party. People have their own feelings, behaviors and motivations for doing things a certain way that I can't begin to decipher. I have a hard enough time barely understanding myself. (One tragic example: she paid me a really great compliment quite a while ago. I was like "ThAnKs!1" (moronic capitalization for effect). No follow up. See you next week.) I accept all that, and my own myriad of shortcomings, as a part of life (and this situation in particular partly as a child of circumstance). If that's the case, just act accordingly you might say. Chill. Don't walk around with a knot in your stomach, overanalyzing every single word. Misinterpreting things only to cause yourself grief. (One time I thought she had indicated she was in a relationship, I was crushed for a week. Which a) get over it, this is barely anything and b) she isn't, and what have you done with that information since? Shut the fuck up.) I say I don't blame the other party, but I can detect traces of resentment towards her for not pursuing me more, even though I've done fuck all myself. On top of that I sometimes feel as if I'm gaslighting myself, I notice some tiny thing about a person and I'm like "What's that about? Something's off about her, steer clear." I think I might have the granddaddy of all commitment issues and a depressive personality to boot. That great compliment I mentioned made me feel like a million bucks, but only for about thirty minutes. After that the doubt kicked back in again (exacerbated by my terrible reaction) and I'm fucked for days. In every other aspect I'm such a cool and collected guy. In the words of Bukowski: "Love is a dog from hell."

GreyClock

DISCLAIMER: Maybe it looks like I wrote that with a straight razor sitting on my desk. I didn't. I'm good at compartmentalizing (maybe only with certain things apparently) and luckily I can laugh at the absurdity of it all. Like that post is actually kinda funny to me. :hi5:

DiscoBallClock

Quote from: GreyClock on November 30, 2020, 06:51:34 AM
Quote from: DiscoBallClock on November 29, 2020, 06:50:13 PMFuck me up, let's do it

Quote from: RobClock on November 29, 2020, 08:13:37 PMI'm game, we'll see who rusts first

Well, the gist was gonna be I FUCKING LOATHE IT. I don't feel as strongly about it now that I've had a good night's sleep. I think it might also be the convergence of certain events and maybe the depression kicking in again around the one week mark of not smoking (like last time). I don't hate love, I guess I hate the fickleness, the (self-)doubt, the anxiety, the fear, all the stuff that comes with it. Stuff that seems to effect me perhaps more than it should, emotionally. I talked about meeting a nice lady before, which was already two months ago apparently. I've been working from home pretty much since. Even if I did go in to the office, our hours (barely) overlap. So at best we share a few words in a chat program, virtually en passant as it were. Most weeks it's like having a pen pal from Calcutta in the days before the internet. A question, a week later an answer and a question in return. It's mostly work stuff now, the answers are getting shorter, the well seems to be drying up. I'm not one of those guys that blames the other party. People have their own feelings, behaviors and motivations for doing things a certain way that I can't begin to decipher. I have a hard enough time barely understanding myself. (One tragic example: she paid me a really great compliment quite a while ago. I was like "ThAnKs!1" (moronic capitalization for effect). No follow up. See you next week.) I accept all that, and my own myriad of shortcomings, as a part of life (and this situation in particular partly as a child of circumstance). If that's the case, just act accordingly you might say. Chill. Don't walk around with a knot in your stomach, overanalyzing every single word. Misinterpreting things only to cause yourself grief. (One time I thought she had indicated she was in a relationship, I was crushed for a week. Which a) get over it, this is barely anything and b) she isn't, and what have you done with that information since? Shut the fuck up.) I say I don't blame the other party, but I can detect traces of resentment towards her for not pursuing me more, even though I've done fuck all myself. On top of that I sometimes feel as if I'm gaslighting myself, I notice some tiny thing about a person and I'm like "What's that about? Something's off about her, steer clear." I think I might have the granddaddy of all commitment issues and a depressive personality to boot. That great compliment I mentioned made me feel like a million bucks, but only for about thirty minutes. After that the doubt kicked back in again (exacerbated by my terrible reaction) and I'm fucked for days. In every other aspect I'm such a cool and collected guy. In the words of Bukowski: "Love is a dog from hell."

Yeah, I can relate to a lot of those feelings. I don't think you should blame yourself for feeling those things and for overanalyzing it - hell, I do that all the time too. I suppose it also depends on your background, how long it has been since you've been with someone, how were those past relationships, and so on. For me, I've always been rather prone to go on wild imagination rides whenever I'm interested in someone, so if it doesn't happen I get kinda sad too. And I overanalyze it because I'm invested, so I pay a lot of attention to detail. My way of feeling safe is for there to be some predictability, so I look at all the signs in order to find out what I should expect. I think I got rid of these traits with age, but my love life is in a weird, lifeless bog, so

Also, no one tells you that after college it's much harder to meet women. What is this shit. How am I supposed to "get out there", I don't know how to do that (I'm not blaming women for that, it is, as Grey said, part of my own shortcomings)