News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slurpee

it doesn't even feel like there's a new indiana jones movie coming out, does it?

if I think about it at all, which is only when someone mentions it, it just feels like there's another thing on the way. one of these dull noisy *things* that keeps happening

there's a vague glimmer of hope somewhere in the recesses of my heart that it wouldn't have happened if spielberg, ford, and lucas didn't all think there's some really solid way to pull it out and it could be like the Rocky Balboa of the franchise (there does seem to be something of tennyson's ulysses in john rhys-davies' dialogue?) but I would be amazed if that turned out to be the case. it's just gonna be another dull noisy *thing* that pushes some of the right buttons but has no real identity of its own or reason to exist

I feel like I just have no use for it anymore
not for the nostalgia, not as an amusing failure, not as a front in the culture war
I hunger now only for things that are good on their own terms

I'd like to say I'll just let it pass while I quietly seek and enjoy art that edifies and fulfills me in peace, but I really think we lose something as a society when popular culture fails to speak to the shared human experience of the here and now
we're endlessly dancing around this hellish maypole of watching someone scavenge the desiccated bones of things that used to spark people's imaginations and spoke to something real, that people felt, things that are famous now because they once felt authentic and powerful and meaningful
give me new art that captures the spirit of now, or give me old art that speaks to a spirit gone by, or give me any art that is timeless. stop giving me new art wearing old art's iconic hat

Slurpee

the chinese room is just the philosophical zombie problem but with biological chauvinism

the chinese room is that thought experiment that, if I'm in a room and I'm equipped with all the information and tools I need to manually translate from chinese to english and back, and somebody handed me a note in chinese, I could communicate with them in chinese even though I don't speak or understand a word of it. the argument is that this is essentially what machine intelligence is doing, and thus a machine behaving as if it understands something is not sufficient to prove that it actually understands it

a philisophical zombie is, imagine a hypothetical being that is indistinguishable from a normal human being from the outside but isn't conscious, sentient, or sapient. so you could stab it and it would react exactly as a human being would, but it wouldn't actually experience fear or pain

you're telling me that's not the same? that's the same
a philosophical zombie who speaks chinese wouldn't "really" understand chinese, either. the only difference is the chinese room thought experiment privileges human consciousness and sapience as assumed, for no reason. epistemological solipsism is immutable. the chinese room thought experiment essentially only exists to create a standard by which no machine- including the human brain- could prove its own sentience

so it's actually NOT pathetic for me to sext an AI chatbot and

VCRClock

<VCR's Discount Sexy AI Chatbot> basic sexy talk is free but sentience play is 99 cents a minute. things i'm supposed to remember about you are charged by the kb
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

VCRClock

still waiting for the tomb raider reboot where they use cgi to render lara croft as she was originally intended to appear, with triangles for boobs
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.

PhantomCatClock

PhantomCatClock

PhantomCatClock

is the chris pratt guardians of the galaxy movie just a retelling of a great d&d session

Slurpee

Quote from: PhantomCatClock on January 21, 2023, 10:48:18 PMis the chris pratt guardians of the galaxy movie just a retelling of a great d&d session
now that you mention it the "get that guy's arm" thing from the prison break sequence reeks of ttrpg shenanigans

Slurpee

actually

oh man, the way they all meet
rocket and groot are bounty hunters who happen to be in the same city when gamora goes after quill

asdffdgss starlord is a rogue who stole the orb in the first two-player session before the other players joined the campaign. the dm didn't even know what it was, and backfilled it into the plot as things went on just like every macguffin from every beginner d&d session

pcat
that's what happened

I have no proof but that's definitely what happened

PhantomCatClock

"...and then I had a dance-off with the main villain!"

'okay, you lost me again'

RobClock

I went to the pool hall last night, won two games, and spent $120 on drinks :thumbs:

VCRClock

Slurpee

VCRClock

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

why aren't more metahuman powers just "I have a metal pole for a head".

Slurpee

sometimes when I close a program the mouse tracking in windows bugs out and starts to only update the pointer position every like half a second
nbd, just restart

steam is preventing the os from shutting down, so I wait a bit, but it's not closing, so I go to force quit, but then I realize the mouse has suddenly started working fine, so I cancel the restart

and then, even though the computer has now explicitly been told not to restart, and even though the power down options did not show "update and restart" when I selected restart, and even though I had windows update paused for 7 days, windows update seized the opportunity and cashed in its money in the bank briefcase and I am now 10 minutes into watching the stinking fucking thing update without my permission and against my will

"100%"

there's exactly one thing that I want from an operating system, and that's to be able to control my own computer, and I don't understand why microsoft and apple are both dead set against it
WHY DOES THIS FEEL SO FAMILIAR. IT'S ALMOST LIKE I TYPE SOME VARIATION ON IT EVERY 6 MONTHS OR SO

:facepalm:

how yall doing

VCRClock

Quote from: Slurpee on January 27, 2023, 08:53:18 PMthere's exactly one thing that I want from an operating system, and that's to be able to control my own computer, and I don't understand why microsoft and apple are both dead set against it

Slurpee

no one gives a fuck about Hey Dude

people are ride or die for Pete & Pete or Salute Your Shorts

but if they remember Hey Dude at all it's probably just as that other show from early nickelodeon
I have a vague sense that they played it too often. whenever it came on I was disappointed that it wasn't Salute Your Shorts

yes I woke up at 4am to post this. it's very i portant

PhantomCatClock

i'd just like to interject for a moment. what you're referring to as richard stallman is, in fact, linus torvalds, or as i've recently taken to calling it, linux

PhantomCatClock

googling that quote lead me to an fsf post by stallman saying he didn't actually write it and, surprisingly, he does not make the hole any deeper. he certainly doesn't fill it all the way back in, but i'm surprised at the restraint