News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomCatClock

I've spent my whole life not knowing what, exactly, he's saying there. I googled it and it's not even a debate; every site says the same thing

i reach my highest heights from reading slurp

PhantomCatClock

RobClock

VCRClock

Drop your weapon. Why are you resisting? I am being a good Bing. 😇
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

Slurpee

Slurpee

Slurpee

happy presidents day to those who observe

Slurpee

this bus is playing "bedrock", the young money posse cut, and I don't have anything interesting to say about it, but jesus christ this song sucked

PhantomCatClock

would you call this a realm

Slurpee

Slurpee

I watched Three Caballeros

I'm taking an oral history class for my general ed requirements and there's a lot of mexican stuff in it because hayward is full of mexicans, and it made me think of the Three Caballeros because that's where I first learned about the eagle and the snake and the cactus on the mexican flag, but I didn't want to bring it up during class because I had no idea if Three Caballeros was, like, the Mexican Song of the South or something

bad sign right at the start, disney+ put a warning in the front about it being insensitive or something,
then... proceeded to show me a mostly harmless 70 minute love letter to the traditions and music and legends of mexico and brazil?
so I was like wtf
googled basically "wtf was anybody offended by in Three Caballeros?" and got a lot of confused non-answers from people looking for problems and clearly not finding any like "panchito and jose speak with accents, which might make people think all latinos have accents? :shrug:"
and, brother... jose was voiced by a brazilian man also named jose, and that accent was just how he sounded. (the movie is, in fact, full of some of the biggest stars of latin america at the time.) according to him, uncle walt himself told him "don't try to be american. we have plenty of those. be brazilian." and the movie is full of off the cuff comments from those two in unsubtitled spanish and brazilian portuguese. look I don't like admitting it either, but I'm pretty sure disney was nailing it on this one. panchito's v.o. was putting on an accent, but he was a mexican man, of mexican heritage and born in mexico, who just had no discernible mexican accent from spending so much time living in the u.s., and disney noticed his accent didn't sound authentic, so they hired another mexican man who was an accent expert to coach him. they could have just not given him an accent, sure, but this wasn't a long duk dong situation. jose was the preestablished character, panchito was brought in to expand the concept, and part of that was having characters from other cultures be friendly in spite of surface differences, and an accent is a commonly encountered surface difference that provincial audiences in the 1940's might not necessarily be used to being exposed to on the reg. and noticing that one of your characters who's supposed to be from another culture seems inauthentic and hiring people from that culture to advise and improve it is how you're supposed to handle that kind of situation by today's standards
people need to calm down

but I do say "mostly" harmless because donald duck was insanely horny throughout. uncomfortably horny
like half the movie was donald madly lusting after beautiful live action human women. and there was a weird motif of the other two caballeros interrupting. like, as a bit, sure, but after the third time it happens it starts to read like less of a running gag and more like a reflexive commentary on the movie losing its goddamn mind (which it does btw). it goes into these tripped out dream sequences with a human woman's singing, live-action face growing out of a flower, and donald goes to kiss her and panchito and jose interrupt by bursting out of it singing the Three Caballeros theme song like "hey bro remember how this movie is called 'The Three Caballeros' and not 'Donald Duck chases some puss'". also it opened with a frame narrative of Donald opening birthday presents, and I'm pretty sure they just forget that that happened after Donald starts tripping balls. when the move runs out of stuff to do panchito and jose just show up with a mechanical bull filled with fireworks and the fireworks go off and it goes "fin/fim/the end". that and the fact that it's only 70 minutes makes me think they might have been rushing to get it finished before clock day

anyway panchito is definitely vers top

Slurpee

what else what else tchtchthch..........

ah, that new taylor swift song where she says "sometimes I feel like everybody is a sexy baby"
there's a cadence to that line that recurs throughout the song and it is an earworm, but it reminded me of something and I couldn't tell what, but as I was walking home I figured it out, it's fucking boulevard of broken dreams :rolleyes:
"my shadow's only one that walks beside me / my shallow heart's the only thing that's beating"

Slurpee

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
Sometimes, I feel like everybody is a sexy baby
'Til then, I walk alone

Slurpee

I get what she was doing with that line, but good god "sometimes I feel like everybody is a sexy baby" reads absolutely deranged

"... and I'm a monster on the hill"
see what she means is sometimes she feels like everybody except her is attractive and innocent and new, and she, once young and innocent herself, is now the towering beast that conquered pop music, an impossibly large and foreboding figure in the distance. success has isolated and alienated her

but what she said is that sometimes she feels like everybody is a sexy baby

RobClock

Quote from: Slurpee on February 21, 2023, 02:07:07 AMI get what she was doing with that line, but good god "sometimes I feel like everybody is a sexy baby" reads absolutely deranged

"... and I'm a monster on the hill"
see what she means is sometimes she feels like everybody except her is attractive and innocent and new, and she, once young and innocent herself, is now the towering beast that conquered pop music, an impossibly large and foreboding figure in the distance. success has isolated and alienated her

but what she said is that sometimes she feels like everybody is a sexy baby
It's stuck in your head though

RobClock

new episode of The Last of Us was alright

PhantomCatClock

PhantomCatClock

I watched the Mario movie trailer again and now my YouTube recommendations think I am eight

Slurpee

my name's slurpee and I walk through aht-da-dat-da-dah! like this in the background

RobClock

Went to a trivia night yesterday and one of the questions was "what was the name of the Kingdom where King Arthur held court?"

One of my team mates wrote "Camelot" and I went "but Camelot is just the castle, he also held court at Carlisle- it should be Albion", and the reply I got was "if your answer begins with "Um, actually", you're overthinking it."

We went with Camelot, and got the point.

I'm still seething.