News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

click here to log out

Farted by Losperman, November 01, 2005, 01:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhantomCatClock

phantomcat you lazy shitass make ctrl+enter send posts already

PhantomCatClock

k9

do you guys tend to make many friends at work? I hear alot of people talk about their co-workers in a really negative way which is just so strange to me. I love the people I work with, but granted this is still my first job so maybe I'm just lucky haha

Slurpee

I tend to get along with everybody I work with but I think that's rare

I've seen a lot of this phenomenon of... someone gets mad at a co-worker (over things that, I don't understand why you would be that upset about) and then instead of talking it out like adults they just kind of passive-aggressively treat that person worse, and each decides the other is an asshole and make each other's lives harder. and they'll just live their lives like that for years :confused:

there was one dude who I think didn't like me at first, when I worked at safeway. just bad chemistry, y'know, it happens. but I just didn't make anything out of it, and he didn't make anything out of it, and one day he saw me buying loose bananas and he was like "holy shit, I've never seen somebody buy the loose bananas before" and I laughed and was like "I mean, they're the same. they're just not in a bunch" and he was like "EXACTLY. we throw out like 2 dozen loose bananas a week because people just assume there's something wrong with them" and we were friendly after that lol

PhantomCatClock

Sometimes relationships like that will just randomly flip to an unbreakable respect where even when the other person isn't around, they'll only say good things about each other and it is 100% random when/if that happens

VCRClock

I don't have bad things to say about any of my present coworkers

I can think of people I used to work with that one could say bad things about

Sometimes a difficult or annoying coworker lands at your job, and for one reason or another they don't last. (And until then you're waiting for them to do something that will finally get them fired.) Other times you start a job somewhere and the annoying person has been there forever and might not be leaving anytime soon, so you just have to learn how to work with them without setting them off.

I would muse that maybe the harder a job is to get, the less likely that shitty people will make it onto the payroll, but then I remembered sexual harassment type software dudes, so maybe not
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

VCRClock

Linux adventure:

so months ago I did my fresh install of Debian Bookworm. I thought wi-fi was working fine until I went somewhere with a different wifi network. connman wasn't working. connman GUI would launch but I couldn't see or connect to any networks, so I had to Google how to use wpa_cli or something to connect via command line. which I got working, but y'know, clunky for something that should have worked out of the box, right?

i just took my laptop to a coffee shop and had another go at *really* fixing the problem. some CLI solutions involved nmcli, but I don't have that, dude, I'm supposed to be using connman but it's saying "no carrier"

found this guy who was like "I deleted isc-dhcp-client-ddns, works gr8", and I didn't have that package but thought deleting dhclient, the thing that lets my computer use DHCP, was maybe a bad idea anyway. but maybe I could... disable dhclient?

anyway that second guy was right. my home network settings for the wifi device had been written into /etc/network/interfaces, probably during the wifi-connected Debian installation process, and dhcpd was taking over that interface and not letting connman manage it. commented it out. rebooted. connman works and I didn't delete anything important in the process. victory

oh no I didn't post this here for you guys, I'm just putting it here so it comes up when some other idiot googles the problem
<Marlin Clock> This thread seems proof positive that divisiveness at any level is usually bad for the Clock Crew.
<PhantomCatClock> are we talking about the same clock crew

PhantomCatClock

that reminds me, it's almost time to vote on my next admin password

RobClock

Quote from: k9 on March 25, 2024, 04:13:07 AMdo you guys tend to make many friends at work? I hear alot of people talk about their co-workers in a really negative way which is just so strange to me. I love the people I work with, but granted this is still my first job so maybe I'm just lucky haha

I still have friends from my first job, not very close but keeping in touch occasionally. I didn't make many friends at my second job that extended outside the workplace but I still talk fairly regularly with two. As for my current job, I became friends with the guy I work with everyday, got in an argument with him over his condescending behaviour, and now we haven't exchanged more than a sentence in over a year and a half despite being less than 6ft away from each other for the majority of the week. He's thrown about three temper tantrums on me in the interim that I just shrug off. If I were in a more professional environment I'd have talked to management about him ages ago.

It's a real crapshoot out there.