News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

So I'm Watching Fantasia, and the Pastoral Symphony Just Came On

Farted by SnakeClock, October 05, 2011, 10:06:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SnakeClock

Y'know, the one with all the pegasuses and the unicorns.

It was always my least favourite bit since it's so twee and cartoonish, but it just occurred to me that it reminds me uncannily of that silly new My Little Pony show, what with all the brightly coloured horses drawn with soft, simple lines, prancing around and generally being silly.

Damn you, My Little Pony! :fuckyou:

DWARFINATORclock

SnakeClock

This is also the part of the movie that calls to attention that it was made in 1940. Everything else in the movie seems pretty timeless, but the character designs and the way they act (especially the skanky centaurs) betray that this movie was made seven decades ago. :p

The best they did to update it was edit out the goofy racism.

Kodiakclock

Quote from: YoYoClock;1903849
KodiakClock - Super Butt

SockpuppetClock

conceptually similar, maybe, they share one common character type (cartoon unicorn), and suddenly they're related enough to get angry about I mean really now MLP has the most unlikable style imho

Pastoral Symphony is a wonderful piece of animation along with the rest of Fantasia, the other is literally a flash that uses tweens instead of drawn animation

in fact it's so different one's music is Beethoven and the other is this

MentosClock

The last time I saw Fantasia I was way too young to appreciate it. I really need to see it again, especially now that I've seen Allegro Non Troppo, as it will be interesting to compare them. I am very disappointed about the censorship, though.

HeinekenClock

God dammit sockpuppet, now I've seen it. I tried to fool myself and think maybe there is a certain humor in that show that appeals to adults, but no. There's actually grown men watching a cartoon for little girls.

[u2]35TbGjt-weA[/u2]

SchnozzberryClock

Quote from: clammo;1864270youre a 20 something year old guy not a 10 year old girl

I'm mentally 10 years old, and a woman trapped in a man's body. Can I still watch it?

FLOUNDERMAN_CLOCK

I saw a few episodes of my little pony and I didnt really see what the huge fuss is about. The best I could say about it is that its a girls show that doesnt treat its viewers like materialistic stereotypical girly girls, but it has no appeal to people above the age of ten or male. If I had a choice between having my daughter watch this or the bratz babies tv show I'd have them watch my little pony, but I cant see whats so great about it for people other than the target demographic. I understand adults watching adventure time or regular show, those were specifically made to appeal to different age groups, but MLP is just a little girls show through and through. And the animation isnt anything special, the fans all act like it makes tweenimation legitimate but it doesnt. Its not johnny test level bad but its still average. I have nothing against the show, but god the fans are awful. They're extremely defensive and their culture is remarkably similar to furry culture. They also all act like this in real life:

I do not recommend watching this video, it gets progressively worse as it goes on.

SnakeClock

I think the show's appeal is that men that age wouldn't normally like a show like that, and just as kind of an elaborate prank, they're pretending it's the best thing ever and are trying to be so utterly convincing about it, that even they forgot they were being sarcastic. This is finally the thing that caused irony to turn back around on itself.

buttplug

I'm pretty sure what happened with My Anime-Haired Pony was that some people pretended to like it and others thought they actually liked it and started actually liking it themselves.
Quote from: SnakeClock;1864290I think the show's appeal is that men that age wouldn't normally like a show like that, and just as kind of an elaborate prank, they're pretending it's the best thing ever and are trying to be so utterly convincing about it, that even they forgot they were being sarcastic. This is finally the thing that caused irony to turn back around on itself.

some people take it way too far for this to always be the case though

SnakeClock

Quote from: Buttplug;1864294some people take it way too far for this to always be the case though

They're just the best at it. Most things on the internet are never taken "way too far" according to a preconceived logic.

SockpuppetClock

Quote from: SnakeClock;1864290I think the show's appeal is that men that age wouldn't normally like a show like that, and just as kind of an elaborate prank, they're pretending it's the best thing ever and are trying to be so utterly convincing about it, that even they forgot they were being sarcastic. This is finally the thing that caused irony to turn back around on itself.
i think you're half right in that most of these folks may have watched it initially out of 'irony' but i doubt anyone who's legitimately on that boat this hard do it 'ironically' (i'm talking about 'bronies' I've noticed in real life, they legitimately love the show)

maybe people should approach this as they do with furries any uncommon affixation even if a percent may do it out of 'irony' :stubborn:

Thor

Quote from: MafiaMettaurWhat the hell is with that shit you posted? You know what, I'm joining the Locks, just to stop stuff like you!
Quote from: polyhedronclockYou're a fucking clock, what else do you have?
To be fair, you don't have anything. Clocks are just machines that tick.

Kodiakclock

Im a faggot, but I hate My little pony so what is your excuse
Quote from: YoYoClock;1903849
KodiakClock - Super Butt