News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

IDENTITY and ANONYMITY: Winners!

Farted by SnakeClock, January 27, 2009, 01:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SnakeClock

The votes have been counted, and I can now announce the winners of the writing contest.

IDENTITY
and
ANONYMITY

If you're just tuning in, the theme of this contest was to write a story about being known or not being known. Our perceptions of ourselves or others are an essential ingredient in our mental well-being. The stories all interpreted this theme in a different way, but the question of who we are, what we are, and how sure we are of that is a vast topic.

READ THE ENTRIES HERE
NOW WITH THE AUTHOR'S NAMES ADDED!

The stories were all displayed anonymously to see how much difference it would make not knowing who each author was. Now that the contest is over, the names can be revealed. I still think our distinct styles kind of gave the game away, but maybe there's a few surprises in there!

Anyways, here are the winners:

BEST OVERALL
  • Why?
  • By TeddyBearClock
[/FONT]
TeddyBear's intricately formatted story tells the disjointed tale of someone who might be in a mental asylum, or might not. He or she, whichever, might be on meds for her madness, or might not. She might not even really be mad. It's not even a definite thing if it matters. We only get to peer into this character's identity through half-formed thoughts and suppositions, making the chilling impression that we want to know who this poor soul is, to confirm that she's real and it's all really happening to her. This struck a chord with readers and won TeddyBearClock the Best Overall award.

BEST PLOT
  • Missing
  • By Topkatyo
[/FONT]
A chilling, bizarre tale that's a little bit Lost, a little bit X-Files, and all weird. I think it demonstrates the importance of identity no matter how many people know about it, since it starts with the protagonist describing his fame and how it's less relevant now that he's shipwrecked on a deserted island with 15 other people. But then these people start vanishing without a trace. Each of these people have some purpose on the island, and they fret and panic about who was disappearing, so they at least still care about each other. But as more and more vanish, and these disappearances become more and more strange, things start breaking down, and by the end, we really start to wonder how "Brian" plays into this. A chilling story that still lingers well after I finished it. Maybe I could be ne

BEST STYLE
  • The Many
  • By SnakeClock
[/FONT]
For this contest, I wanted to challenge myself and write in a medium that had an inherent stigma about it: the fanfiction. This form of writing is an outlet for self-important twits that just want to see their favourite fictional characters work for them. The results are often trite, perverted and narcissistic. I knew that if I could plunge myself into this underworld and come out with a good story, it would be all the more amazing. This defiance of the fanfiction's inherent poorness seems to have won this story the award for the best style.

BEST USE OF THEME
  • Untitled
  • by iNoodle
[/FONT]
The story of a mining robot named Elijah Coles, on a distant planet that seems to have found the remains of the human he was based on called into question the robot's own sense of self. Scanning through the records of this old human that the droid was based on, he realized that he should live up to his original form. This story about a low-level worker finding himself as an incredible man, and realizing that he's capable of much more, drew on the importance of knowing one's self, which won it the Best Use of Theme award, and rightly so.

MOST ORIGINAL
  • Why?
  • By TeddyBearClock
TeddyBear's story evokes kind of an e.e. cummings sort of vibe with it's odd formatting and short, punchy style. Never has a story seemed so scattered, and yet so cohesive. TeddyBear's novel display of her story and how it's part and parcel with what it's about has won it the Most Original award.

LOLLERMASK (FUNNIEST)
  • Sly Stallone
  • By King David
[/FONT]
King David's sharp little haikus about Rocky himself described his rise to fame, the characters he's portrayed, and what trite nostalgia he's up to now. The ancient, noble form of the haiku is a pretty funny way to describe these pithy observations of Sylvester Stallone, and has won King David the Lollermask.

BEST POETRY
  • Not Me
  • By AbsintheClock
[/FONT]
AbsintheClock's punchy song has an impenetrable Frank Zappa-esque quality about it, describing a guy that doesn't seem to have any pot on him. It kind of seems to invoke a dialogue between one guy that really wants some of that crazy ganja that the other guy doesn't have, and the clever rhyming structure and fantastically bizarre wording has won it the Best Poetry award. Absinthe liked the idea of showing the stories anonymously because he usually thinks he "doesn't deserve the awards", and would like to be proven wrong. Mission accomplished. ;)

That's the contest, folks! So many great entries, so many great views on the topic, you all did excellent! All the participants will get this handsome medal that AbsintheClock did up for the occasion:


I'm not sure when the next writing contest will be; I've been thinking about taking a break to charge up for another one. SageClock has expressed interest in a topic, though; maybe we'll hear something from him. Keep your ears open, though; maybe I'll think of something.

RocketFetus

Congrats to everyone who participated! Congrats to the winners! I enjoyed everyone's :)
Now everybody wants this thick afro body but I blow dry that hair and never let it down.

DiscoBallClock

Awesome, congrats to the winners and to everyone who participated!:D

[FLASH=http://files.myfrogbag.com/kqk1bc/discosig.swf]http://width=300 height=200[/FLASH]

TequilaClock

I really liked "Why?" the paralysis theme was great (at least i imagined it like that, I think i would be sinking on my own thoughts if I was in comma as well)

AbsintheClock


VoodooClock


Topcatyo

Sweeeeeet, I won :D
Good job to everyone who entered, some good stuff I've been reading.

EDIT::
Damn, I just now noticed a whole bunch of mistakes I made in my story.  Oopsy poopsies, I don't think they detract from it too much.

SnakeClock

Quote from: Homer Sexual;1507983Damn, I just now noticed a whole bunch of mistakes I made in my story.  Oopsy poopsies, I don't think they detract from it too much.

I certainly didn't notice.

TeddyBear

Well holy shit that's awesome!

Congrats everyone. :)

Topcatyo

Quote from: Hogarth Hughes;1508005I certainly didn't notice.
Alright, then :D

WobbuffetClock

I didn't win!?
That is some bullshit! This fucking contest was rigged! I should win everything!
:mad:
flash rules everything around me, f.r.e.a.m.??? get the fivens, portal portal spam, y\'all

AbsintheClock


INoodleClock

Wow, that pile of 48-hour-no-sleep won something? Congratz. to everyone, can't wait for the next!

AstronautClock

congratz to all participants :D great stuff

SnakeClock

Quote from: Wobbuffet;1508464I didn't win!?
That is some bullshit! This fucking contest was rigged! I should win everything!
:mad:

:rolleyes:

I look forward to your next entry.

WobbuffetClock

Quote from: Hogarth Hughes;1509301:rolleyes:

I look forward to your next entry.
My next entry in whatever silly writing contest you have next will be the letter f over and over again. Like this:
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
flash rules everything around me, f.r.e.a.m.??? get the fivens, portal portal spam, y\'all

Sombra

Well well well, nice job chaps. I saw some p. good ones in there.

SnakeClock

Quote from: Wobbuffet;1509449My next entry in whatever silly writing contest you have next will be the letter f over and over again. Like this:
fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Oh come on, don't be such a sore loser.