News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

Brief reviews of movies you saw recently

Farted by StrangeClock, October 13, 2005, 05:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DurianClock

V for Vendetta gave me chills of awesomeness at the end.

Munglai

Quote from: EvilBerryClockAnd props to portman for getting her hair shaved on camera

Yeah I liked all the little extra-effort-into-the-making-of-the-film bits. At some points I was getting all weirded out because it seemed so real. I hear that the comic fans are a bit upset with it because it was adapted quite a lot to make the film, but really I don't see the problem with adaptations as long as the film is still good. The only thing I get a bit annoyed with when they adapt films is if they miss out good bits but even then it's understandable. Some people are just whiney dicks.

Joey 56465468

Cinderalla Man 9/10
Wonderful movie, a story line that is very touching and beautiful.  This movie also has one of the greatest montage's ever.  It's thrown in so nonchalantly, that you might not even notice it.  The only thing that did not make this movie perfect was the fact that was hard to tell who was hitting who when they were boximg.  Besiides that the fightinhg scenes were awesome.

LeekClock

Walk The Line 4/5

Powerful, well made movie. Great sound quality. Really helps you understand Cash and his music. The story is tastefully told, and all the actors are great.

ChocolateCoffin

ChickenClock

The Day After Tomorrow 7/10

Meeeehhhh... I was expecting a lot more from this. The whole part of the dude's father traveling to New York was kind of pointless, seeing that right after when it started to get less cold they immideatly got resqued by chinooks. Nevertheless it was a decent movie for a doomsday theory movie. Wouldn't have been watching it if my geography teacher didn't keep hammering on about it.

Munglai

Syriana - 1 or 2 or 3 or maybe 4/5

This was a very very strange film. Throughout most of it I had very little idea what was going on. I didn't know what any of the character's personal motives were or what exactly they were doing or why they were doing it. To me it was just a lot of really nicely shot film clips in a row. It's nice to see that someone's trying to make something intellectually challenging and non-linear but you need some kind of a consistant story throughout a film in order for it to even feel like one. Maybe I would have enjoyed it if it was about people instead of politics. I can't really simpathise with oil.

chocolatechipclock

Adaptation - 10/10

Wow, this movie is incredible.  It's about real screenwriter Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind), played by Nicolas Cage, and his fake twin brother, Donald Kaufman, who is also played by Nicolas Cage.  Charlie is trying to adapt a book called "The Orchid Thief" into a screenplay, however, he is getting severe writers block because he does not want to "hollywoodize" it.  This movie is very strange, but it reveals a whole lot about human nature and is very inspiring.  I highly recommend this.  It's one of the most original movies I've seen in a long time.

SilverCherryClock

Quote from: VikingCinderalla Man 9/10
Wonderful movie, a story line that is very touching and beautiful.  This movie also has one of the greatest montage's ever.  It's thrown in so nonchalantly, that you might not even notice it.  The only thing that did not make this movie perfect was the fact that was hard to tell who was hitting who when they were boximg.  Besiides that the fightinhg scenes were awesome.

I thought the "deciding fight" at the very end was lacking. There wasn't a triumphant win or a crippling defeat. I was highly unsatisfied. The movie was pretty good, though.

Pulp Fiction-10/10

I admit it-I only just saw the movie last week. After finishing it, I had no trouble proclaiming that it was the best movie I've ever seen. Just the feel of the movie was enough for me to enjoy it without all of the entertaining dialogue and violence. The movie felt relatively normal, despite the drugs and murder, which was probably Quentin's intention. The movie felt like three real life situations, only intensified and accented by the extralegal. It was like normal life for criminals and gangsters that was suprisingly easy to relate to and I can't see why anyone would find it apalling of offensive. Plus all of the witty dialogue and plot twists which really made it my all time favorite.

PirateClock

saw V for Vendetta in the cinema the other day and it is fucking awesome indeed. 9.5/10

also saw Final Destination 3 which was somewhat entertaining but i dind't like it as much as the first part.. and i didn't like that very much to begin with. (hey it was a sneak preview, i didn't know what movie was playing) 6/10
_pirate_butchcavities (20:29:15): FUCK CLOCKS _pirate_

Barquis

Pink Panther Strikes Again 9.5 / 10

This movie had me waddling off to the bathroom many times.
Also note that this movie is from 1976, so no overrated, crappily dramatic acting. Just Peter Sellers hopping off parallel bars and down 2 flights of stairs. And getting back up. And Karate-chopping a suit of armor.
The gay bar scene, though, was a bit disturbing.

Nitro Circus 3

This isn't really a movie, rather than Travis Pastrana and company filming outrageously stupid stunts. (Firework war, anyone?) Oh, and a guy smashes into a bulldozer in midair. No, really.

Wrongfully Accused 3.5 / 5
Fun movie, one of Leslie Nielsen's lesser known ones, I think, but the nonstop gags in the background, like a trash can that said "for hiding" along with others, went a little too over-the-top. It was fun enough for another few watches, though.
Quote from: SlurpeeAlso, you\'re a weiner.

plug

Losperman

Ice Age:  The Meltdown - 8/10

Not much to say about this movie. The usual high quality animation and voice work, great humor for both adults and kids, blah blah blah. I think I'm just trying to forget all of the annoying kids in the theater when I saw it. They made me want to have a kid just to take out my aggression on it. Assholes.
Sig by {{{Zombie Lincoln}}}

:capn: BUSTAS! :capn:

Losperman

Brokeback Mountain - 8.5/10

What hasn't been said about this movie yet? Great acting, writing, directing... thought provoking subject matter... all around great movie. Of course it was a little dry in places, but I guess that's to be expected with any drama. And I think they could have made the ending (and events directly leading up to) more profound. For what was such a big deal, they sure just kind of dropped it in your lap. So I think that gave the last 20 minutes a kind of loose feeling. Other than that, it deserves all of the praise it has already been getting.

On a side note, you know how when you see certain movies you feel the need to be more like the stars? You see Top Gun you want to be a fighter pilot. You see James Bond you want to be a spy. You see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles you want to be a mutant reptile who kicks ass. Etc. Well after I saw Brokeback Mountain, I wanted to be a gay cowboy. Yes, that's right. Because if you become a gay cowboy you get to sleep with women like this:

Not such a bad deal, me thinks...

chocolatechipclock

Run Lola Run - 9.5/10

This film is very, very original.  Definently stands out from other movies.  It's about a chick who must resolve her boyfriend's situation in 20 minutes, otherwise he is going to die.  However, it does not end how she intended, and the story is done again.  The same situation happens 3 times.  Think of it as a videogame, where if you die, you can just restart.  Basicly what the movie is trying to point out is that the world is very unpredictable, and time can be the deciding factor in everything.  Anyway, the editing in this film is awesome.  There are a lot of really cool shots.  Overall a very cool movie.  Don't miss it.

P.S. If you liked Trainspotting's soundtrack, you will LOVE this soundtrack.  It is very trippy, fast, and cool.  One of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

StrangeClock

Quote from: LospermanBecause if you become a gay cowboy you get to sleep with women like this:

And as the movie showed, you get special booty priviliges.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chocolatechipclock

Being John Malkovich - 10/10

Charlie Kaufman is a goddamn genius.  After seeing Adaptation and this, I wonder how I ever didn't like Eternal Sunshien of the Spotless Mind.  I'm going to go watch that movie again and see if I like it this time.  Anyway, Being John Malkovich is very original.  There are a lot of very funny parts, yet others were harrowing.  Go watch this movie now.

Arctic

It's been a very long time since I posted in this here thread so I'll keep it as short as possible.

Leon the Professional - 7/10
Wasn't what I was hoping at all.  Had an extremely strange 12 year old girl / 40 year old man relationship.  The endless use of the "dirty cop" stereotype.

Saved! - 6/10
God dammit, why couldn't this movie have been much better and completely mock religion in general?  It did to extent mock it, but always gave a backup moral.  I thought it'd be good having the chick from Donnie Darko and The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys (Jena Malone), but I was ... well wrong.  It was obviously aimed towards younger teenagers and stood firmly on the idea of getting their moral views across.  MacCauley Caulkin was kinda good in it.

UltraViolet - 2/10
I was like "wow this movie looks unique and fucking cool."  Well if you take an old used book, re-release it with a new cover it's still the same old story.  It's basically a movie that holds onto a particular objective that a good movie could finish telling about in 5 minutes, and stretches it into a long, boring (yes action-packed... but fuck action in this case) two hour film.  Very dissappointed.

Thumbsucker - 8/10
I finally saw it.  Another one that wasn't as good as I hoped (go figure).  It still told an entertaining story.

V for Vendetta - 6/10
Seems as though I'm the only one not impressed.  Parts like everyone in town having a mask and him having a replica of a holding cell in his secret place that were just too hard to believe really irritated me.  Too little action for a movie that seemed like it should have plenty.  I loved the character though.

Equilibrium - 8/10
This is 1984 put into a very entertaining movie.  Although the main actor sucked my balls and was just absolutely annoying at points.  The ending was fairly predictable and it followed almost an exact general story as 1984 (besides the ending).  But, I did enjoy it very much.  Not as good as the first Matrix, however. (as it's compared to)

KungFu Hustle - 9/10
Man this movie rocked my fucking house.  My only gripe is the very rare change of enviroment.

Still searching for those movies that can bump their way on my tops list.

Upcoming movies I am going to watch:
Lucky Number Slevin, Hostage, Cinderella Man, Italian Job (haven't seen this yet ok?), Seven Samurai, Silent Hill and Heat.

ChocolateCoffin

scary movie 4 3/10

Don't bother. the best bits are in the adverts you can see for free.

Losperman

Quote from: EvilBerryClockscary movie 4 3/10

Don't bother. the best bits are in the adverts you can see for free.

How would you say it stacks up against the other 3?

Mission Impossible 2 - 7/10

A good movie for what it is, which is an action movie. But after the first one, I was expecting a little more depth and complexity rather than flashy fight scenes. Again, for an action movie it's to be expected, but I was a little disappointed. And the whole romance thing kind of turned me off. I was hoping for a more hardened hero. Maybe in 3...

Slurpee

Lucky Number Sleven - (8/10)
This movie's been getting a lot of Tarentino comparisons, but it feels more like Guy Ritchie to me. I liked the hell out of it. It's not very realistic, but it's enjoyable. Critics seem to be blasting this one. They're a bunch of fucking whiners.

Johnny Pneumonic - (6/10)
The people who call it a Matrix inspiration must be I'm a edgy teen or something. This is terrible cyberpunk from beginning to end. The acting is wooden, the plot completely eats it with needless wandering and bland twists, the dialogue is cornball, and the symbolism forcibly grinds it's way by. I still liked it.

Ultraviolet - (clown shoe/fish)
A friend pointed out that if she kept her gravity power on when she was escaping through the rooftop upsidedown she could have just kept going and flew away.

16 Blocks - (9/10)
I think critics just hate Bruce Willis or something. Maybe it was the fact that I just got finished watching a midget in a suit of armor capture a battalion of US troops with a water gun in Ultraviolet, but this was a nice solid movie, with some throwbacks to 90's action movies. Mos Def was adorable, and Bruce <3 Willis :)w:)as:) {{{}}}