News:

If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, check out the enclosed instruction book.

Main Menu

for the comic book fan in all of us, A SNEAK PEAK AT THE WATCHMEN!

Farted by Kaijuclock, January 01, 2009, 09:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Maltese

Quote from: Da Coach;1485821I'm not insulting them, I just didn't find any sense in the whole fake alien invasion threatening the earth. I don't think even that would so easily unify the world.
Nor do I find the death of Rorschach reasonable.

Rorschach had no choice but death, what he did was not to be killed by Doc Manhattan just simply murder, what he did was suicide, he embraced death, because he knew that nothing he could do would be right, if he didn't do anything, what he is doing is allowing this mass murder to go unpunished, if he does something, then he is stopping world peace, if doc didn't kill him, he would have just wrapped his lips around a pistol. Also if you've noticed, 9/11 united all of the USA and some of europe and canada for several years. Now expand that, a GLOBAL threat caused by killing HALF OF NEW YORK. This is a pretty good uniter of the people. with Ozymandias' resources, he could just keep attacking every so often, to keep people in line, he did it once, he can do it again, and again, and again.

Marlin Clock

I disagree. Rorschach said he didn't care about the rotten world. He stood for truth and decency, not lies, even if it was for the better. I think he would have had no problem telling the truth.

And with the "alien", I think you grossly misunderstand the relations at the time of the Cold War. I would rather think the USSR would rather take advantage of such a devastating event for America. Also, it was clear that the attack was a one-shot. The ship carrying all the creators of the "alien" blew up, killing everyone, and he was starting the total shutdown of his stronghold when he was in Antarctica.

Kaijuclock

Quote from: Munglai;1485812I'm trying to remain skeptical but every time I see something new of Watchmen it looks like it's right on track. I don't think the film will ever have the same strength as the comic just because films come with a kind of subconscious pretext and people are more attached to those than they are with books (even comic books). Even if it's really great it's going to go down as a really great comic movie instead of just a really great movie. I don't think you can really make a superhero film that people will accept as genuinely good until you step away from comics. Even something like Watchmen has a comic look to it despite having proper writing behind it.

I want to see a film like Taxi Driver would be if it was about Batman.

I Extremely dissagree with this, I mean look at sin city, or the spirit, cinematic beauty and all BECAUSE it was super connected with the people ( or rather person) who created them, stepping away from the comics is the stupidest idea ever. It is what hollywood has tried to do for the past, oh i dunno, 18 years? maybe more? AND IT HAS FUCKING FAILED.



but a film like the taxi driver about batman would be pretty cool

Maltese

Quote from: Da Coach;1485859I disagree. Rorschach said he didn't care about the rotten world. He stood for truth and decency, not lies, even if it was for the better. I think he would have had no problem telling the truth.

And with the "alien", I think you grossly misunderstand the relations at the time of the Cold War. I would rather think the USSR would rather take advantage of such a devastating event for America. Also, it was clear that the attack was a one-shot. The ship carrying all the creators of the "alien" blew up, killing everyone, and he was starting the total shutdown of his stronghold when he was in Antarctica.

overall, rorschach stood for justice, he followed his moral code, and overall, he did the things he did to attempt to achieve peace.

and it's a global threat, I don't think anyone would really be stupid enough to still fight when the PLANET IS BEING ATTACKED

Man, it's Ozymandias, he has more money than God, don't doubt how much money plays a huge factor

Marlin Clock

I don't think he ever says anything about peace, only about truth and honor. What about this:
"This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'no.' They had a choice, all of them. They could have followed in the footsteps of good men like my father, or President Truman. Decent men, who believed in a day's work for a day's pay. Instead they followed the droppings of lechers and communists and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late. Don't tell me they didn't have a choice. Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into bloody hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth-talkers, and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say."
That whole paragraph shows he only cared for justice. There was no justice for the lives lost if Ozzy's hoax was believed.

Why would they automatically assume it's a global threat? Couldn't they just as easily assume it's some secret communist weapon and give enough reason to immediately start the nuclear war? And why would Ozzy kill all the people who created it if he was willing to make more?


Another thing, the whole catching the bullet was pretty I'm a edgy teen, too.

Biblo

Quote from: salt;1485614just because the franchise is good, doesn't mean the movie will be good


good directors and actors help you know

yeah but that's the reason there's so much buzz around the movie. i would've thought that was pretty obvious. and it's not so much that everyone definitely thinks it will be good, it's that they hope it is. they know the source material is good and the current scraps we're seeing seem fairly faithful. (give or take) so people's hopes are raising some.

and it's not a fucking franchise, it's a book

Quote from: Poltergeisty;1485727So guys


Warner Brothers and 20th Century Fox are aruging over who owns the rights to the story (I thought it was just Miller) and a judge ruled there would be a trial on the 20th as to whether the movies release will be blocked.

I really doubt that will happen though, as they'd lose too much oney.

well miller has nothing to do with it so i doubt it

also i don't really believe they'd let it get this far into production without having their asses covered legally

salt

oh ok you know me mr. ignorant in movies ok sorry!!!!!!!!!!!
hej.

okkkkkkkk,k


http://www.last.fm/user/SaltClock


vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Maltese

Quote from: Marlix Wright;1485998I don't think he ever says anything about peace, only about truth and honor. What about this:
"This city is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'no.' They had a choice, all of them. They could have followed in the footsteps of good men like my father, or President Truman. Decent men, who believed in a day's work for a day's pay. Instead they followed the droppings of lechers and communists and didn't realize that the trail led over a precipice until it was too late. Don't tell me they didn't have a choice. Now the whole world stands on the brink, staring down into bloody hell, all those liberals and intellectuals and smooth-talkers, and all of a sudden nobody can think of anything to say."
That whole paragraph shows he only cared for justice. There was no justice for the lives lost if Ozzy's hoax was believed.

Why would they automatically assume it's a global threat? Couldn't they just as easily assume it's some secret communist weapon and give enough reason to immediately start the nuclear war? And why would Ozzy kill all the people who created it if he was willing to make more?


Another thing, the whole catching the bullet was pretty I'm a edgy teen, too.

it's an injustice, no matter what, rorschach doesn't have a heart of stone.

because it looked like an alien, and because of it's psychic thing, everyone knows what it claims to be. Also, I have no idea, ask Ozzy, wait he's not real.

he's the most fit man in the world, he can do whatever the fuck he wants, he eats lightening and craps thunder.

Marlin Clock

I'm just going to call this an agree to disagee.

Literature is meant for interpretation, after all.

Maltese

Quote from: Marlix Wright;1487414I'm just going to call this an agree to disagee.

Literature is meant for interpretation, after all.

I concur, but regardless, it's a beautiful piece of fiction

Munglai

Quote from: Lolicon Futanari;1485915I Extremely dissagree with this, I mean look at sin city, or the spirit, cinematic beauty and all BECAUSE it was super connected with the people ( or rather person) who created them, stepping away from the comics is the stupidest idea ever. It is what hollywood has tried to do for the past, oh i dunno, 18 years? maybe more? AND IT HAS FUCKING FAILED.



but a film like the taxi driver about batman would be pretty cool

I don't mean step away from the comics as in let idiot film people make up everything, I mean completely get away from comics entirely, work with completely original ideas and make something that is really really really a film instead of a half-way media freak child.

When people treat a film as if it's a play or a book or a comic it always comes out a little bit wrong.

Also Sin City is just some cool stuff and The Spirit was a load of wank with occasional awesome injections from Samuel L Jackson.

Maltese

Quote from: Munglai;1487540I don't mean step away from the comics as in let idiot film people make up everything, I mean completely get away from comics entirely, work with completely original ideas and make something that is really really really a film instead of a half-way media freak child.

yeah, that's not a comic book movie, I thought we were talking about comic book movies

Munglai

Quote from: Maltese;1487543yeah, that's not a comic book movie, I thought we were talking about comic book movies

I'm talking about superheroes

FluxCapacitorClock

I'm amazed at the amount of shit in the preview. Usually movies based on other things are cut and gutted to hell for time. There is so much shit in the preview direct out of the comic, that it's fucking insane. Just gratuitous amounts of shit. It doesn't look like they cut anything out, even though they probably did.

KING DAVID

The problem I have with the movie is I'm sure the public will love it, but not understand the source material or really understand the plot. I'm almost certain that Snyder will just dumb down the intricate and detailed plot of the novel for the idiot movie-going public who just want to see boobs and explosions.

 Another thing, the fact that everyone in the movie is referring to the characters as being a group called 'Watchmen' now ruins the point that Moore was trying to make by calling the novel Watchmen in the first place.

Visually, I think the movie is spot on. I think Snyder was right to update Ozzy and Nite-Owl's costumes, and the colours and shots in the trailers follow the frames of the graphic novel almost exactly.

Kaijuclock

Quote from: King David;1489506The problem I have with the movie is I'm sure the public will love it, but not understand the source material or really understand the plot. I'm almost certain that Snyder will just dumb down the intricate and detailed plot of the novel for the idiot movie-going public who just want to see boobs and explosions.

 Another thing, the fact that everyone in the movie is referring to the characters as being a group called 'Watchmen' now ruins the point that Moore was trying to make by calling the novel Watchmen in the first place.

Visually, I think the movie is spot on. I think Snyder was right to update Ozzy and Nite-Owl's costumes, and the colours and shots in the trailers follow the frames of the graphic novel almost exactly.

well, hes going to make everything look right im sure, i mean look at 300, the art direction and most of the scenes are taken from actual pannels, and it was done great!

KING DAVID

Yeah. I'm not at all worried about the visual side of it. But I just can't see a way that he can make the plot any where near as deep or intricate as the novel.

FluxCapacitorClock

All the slow motion in the trailers is honestly whats bothering me most of all.

Asshatclock

I just read the comic and whoah I'll be amazed if they can pull this movie off.

Biblo

Quote from: Flux;1489287I'm amazed at the amount of shit in the preview. Usually movies based on other things are cut and gutted to hell for time. There is so much shit in the preview direct out of the comic, that it's fucking insane. Just gratuitous amounts of shit. It doesn't look like they cut anything out, even though they probably did.

Well considering the motion comics cut barely anything out and they're looking to reach about 6 hours total footage.